Firearm Manufacturing Moves South ...avoids Louisiana?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Firearm Manufacturing Moves South
    http://www.americanrifleman.org/blogs/gun-manufacturing-move-to-southern-states

Why the void? It looks like some sort of Hurricane Bubble :/

Guns_Go_South_Map2.jpg

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Bobby Jindal. And a workforce that is already working High Wage Oil and Gas Jobs. I am willing to bet a Machinist in South La makes a bit more than one in Alabama.

gunz4me

Target Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 14, 2006
    Lafayette
    Also state income taxation compared to Texas and Florida. Then you have to put up with the harassment of sales and use tax audits from the State and most parishes. Finally, there is that pesky property tax from the assessor's office.

I can see why they avoided Louisiana all together!

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

Phill

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Prairieville, LA
    This article is VERY misleading

There aren't that many manufacturers "moving".

Daisy has been in Arkansas since 1958

Walther just recently began manufacturing pistols at the Umarex plant in Fort Smith after their split from S&W. Umarex has been there since 2006.

Mossberg's Maverick shotguns are assembled in Eagle Pass, Texas because they use cheaper Mexican labor from just across the border.
    Mossberg 500's are still made in New Haven, Connecticut.

In the spring of 1993, High Standard Manufacturing Company, Inc. of Houston, Texas acquired the company assets and trademarks, as well as the .22 Target Pistols. These original assets were transferred from Connecticut to Houston, Texas in July 1993. The first shipments of Houston manufactured pistols began in March, 1994
    Technically, Hi Standard/AMT didn't move their plant. They were bought by a Houston Company.

On top of that, a wave of startup manufacturers is now thriving across the South, companies like Barrett (Tennesse), Kel-Tec (Florida), Wilson Combat (Arkansas) and Daniel Defense (Georgia and South Carolina)
    As far as I know, Barrett, Kel-Tec, American Derringer, STI, and Wilson have always been in those locations.

oscar615

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    SE LA
    Also we have one of the most over regulated business climates in the nation. Can't even arrange flowers without an outrageous amount of regulation and mandatory training.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

molonlabe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2013
    Baton Rouge, La
    High taxes, and overall unfriendly environment for starting a new business are the reasons why they avoid good old La. It's sad that we can't attract one decent company our way these days.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rocketsteve

Florida Cracker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 15, 2012
    Nowhere

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Corruption, workforce education, taxes, crime, education of the executives kids?, quality of life for the executives. How about a hostile liability environment? Cost of living and housing? Hurricanes. Our reputation developed from news coverage of said hurricanes? Our LEO's are best known for corruption. Have I mentioned that according to TV we all have these horrible accents?

Also, LA has very few (if any) major shooting events. We haven't had a shot show here in quite a few years. The decision makers haven't been drawn to LA to visit for anything work related. Reality TV hasn't exactly painted LA very attractively. 'Choot 'em, Lizbeth' comes to mind. The high point is Sons of Guns (started out well, but too many episodes ending in kegs of tannerite and soap opera-ish drama...).

Top Bottom