firearms that have the bolt stay open feature

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrwiggins

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 17, 2006
    East of Hammond
    after the last round is fired, the bolt stays open for faster reloading.i'm trying to figure out what firearms have this and which ones don't. i think more should. so what guns have this, other than the mp5

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    I thought most all rifles did this? SKS, AR-15...

Except the MP5 doesn't lock open after the last shot. At least the MP5SD I have experience with doesn't. I have to manually pull the charging handle before loading a new magazine. I get screwed on this and curse every time I get in a hurry and try loading the mag first (it won't lock in without the bolt back).

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    If you get the yugo "bho" mags for an AK it holds it open after the last shot. . . until you take the mag out and then it slams shut :P

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    after the last round is fired, the bolt stays open for faster reloading.i'm trying to figure out what firearms have this and which ones don't. i think more should. so what guns have this, other than the mp5

"Bolt Hold Open" is the more common term. Anything US with a M in front of a number. Some .22LR have funky BHO's. The BHO can be a real convenience at a range or event that has rules, but easy enough to work around. I prefer having the feature. AK is one that doesn't.
    I also like the way bolt action rifle bolts are easy to remove for varoius reasons.

mrwiggins

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 17, 2006
    East of Hammond
    i was just curious, don't anyone get too excited

i feel it's a great feature, and would make for easy reloads. i shoot mostly pistols, and sometimes my 10/22 and that got me thinking about this thread topic. i remember my yugo sks i had a long time ago did it, ar15's do it too? i wish my g3 did it.

around lsu, the guys over at the hk forum said most new mp5's do it

swagge1

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Many semi-auto handguns have the slide stay open after the last shot. You said "firearms" in your original post so I guess you meant handguns too.

Top Bottom