First AR Build

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kathy

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 4, 2012
    Southeast Arkansas
    I am going to suprise my hubby on our anniversary this year with an AR that I have custom built for him....or that is the plan. I have done alot of research and think I know the parts I'm wanting to get to do this. I would appreciate any additional info or suggestions as to what I may be missing or should add to make this AR his most special. I have decided on the following items:

Noveske GenII stripped lower
    Noveske NSR 13.5" Rail
    Vltor MUR-1 upper
    KAC Triple TAp
    Geissele SSA-E Trigger
    Wilson NP3 BCG
    Colt lower parts kit
    Badass Ambidextrous Safety Selector
    Noveske QD end plate
    Vltor carbine extension mil-spec
    Spikes ST-T2 heavy buffer
    Vltor/BCM Mod4 Charging Handle
    Roger Super-Stoc
    Ergo Grip
    Noveske Switchblock
    Luthar Walther Very, very light controur, stainless barrel

I want to make this his favorite AR. If you see something I'm missing or could improve on please let me know.

Last edited:

BOSS302

Pain is temporary
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    SELA
    Drop the triple tap for either a Battlecomp or BCM Comp. The rogers stock for either an imod, emod, ctr, or prs. The ergo grip for either a magpul, bcm, umbrella, or larue.

Those are just a few of the small changes i would make if it were mine. Ill update tomorrow when i get off work.

Spelling and punctuation brought to you via Tapatalk.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    To be honest, there's a lot of wasted money in there. And several parts that don't "add up" for any given purpose.

It would be a lot easier for us to give advice if we knew what his intended use for the rifle is. Range shooter? Competition shooter? Self defense? Does he have a 5.56 suppressor?

Kathy

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 4, 2012
    Southeast Arkansas
    To be honest, there's a lot of wasted money in there. And several parts that don't "add up" for any given purpose.

It would be a lot easier for us to give advice if we knew what his intended use for the rifle is. Range shooter? Competition shooter? Self defense? Does he have a 5.56 suppressor?

Yes, supressor will be used...of course. I just want to build this gun for him because I can. Special anniversary for us and if he wants to shoot out the bathroom window I want him to have something special I made for him to do that. We have many many other options for self defense so this is pretty much just a pure toy.

poor_shot

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    NOLA
    i don't think the SwitchBlock will work w/ a rail that long. i'm not sure which gas system you're using, but if its a LW-50 it may be a mid-length gas port, and you'll have to modify your rail for the SwitchBlock to work/fit. even on a rifle length gas system, i believe you'd need a 12" rail, not 13".

Kathy

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 4, 2012
    Southeast Arkansas
    i don't think the SwitchBlock will work w/ a rail that long. i'm not sure which gas system you're using, but if its a LW-50 it may be a mid-length gas port, and you'll have to modify your rail for the SwitchBlock to work/fit. even on a rifle length gas system, i believe you'd need a 12" rail, not 13".

Yeah, I have been trying to get in touch with Noveske tech support for over a week about that. You are the first info I have been able to find about that and I thank you very much for your information and appreciate it greatly.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    I think you're best bet is to buy a complete Noveske upper w/the switchblock and NSR rail. That way you know it works, and is built by the best people to do so. The Wilson BCG and other barrel you had spec'd add zero value to the function of the rifle. Build the lower basic with the Geissele trigger, and give your husband a guft card for Brownells or Midway to pick his own finishing touches.

If he bitches about that, you need a new husband.

poor_shot

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    NOLA
    I think you're best bet is to buy a complete Noveske upper w/the switchblock and NSR rail. That way you know it works, and is built by the best people to do so. The Wilson BCG and other barrel you had spec'd add zero value to the function of the rifle. Build the lower basic with the Geissele trigger, and give your husband a guft card for Brownells or Midway to pick his own finishing touches.

If he bitches about that, you need a new husband.

this is true. Noveske tunes their switchblocks for their gas port size. i believe there are little tumblers that can be adjusted to the correct port size. also, if you buy a factory Noveske upper, you get the pinned version of the switchblock and not the clamp-on.

Kathy

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 4, 2012
    Southeast Arkansas
    :bravo: So many wonderful ideas and comments...ty so much everybody. I appreciate everything you have suggested and or commented on so far. I am very nervous about this build. Now...if there was one thing you could have on your dream AR what would that be?

Top Bottom