First Day Carrying!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Yeah. I'm just having difficulty drawing. Need more practice, so it is probably just me.

It will break in a little, but it still shouldn't be too difficult. Are you a bigger guy? If so, make sure your "cushion" isn't pressing that excess leather against the gun. The retention should come from the kydex, not the leather up by the grip. Seen it happen several times, and also creates a problem when reholstering. You should be able to do it one-handed without the leather folding over the mouth of the kydex.

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    Get it good and broken in with your sweat and dirt. This is mine "broken in". Also use a hair drier to loosen it up a bit if it is too tight, after carrying it awhile.

View attachment 23888View attachment 23889

I like the look of the aged/dirty-ass leather (lol). I got the horse hide option. Is that the cowhide?

It will break in a little, but it still shouldn't be too difficult. Are you a bigger guy? If so, make sure your "cushion" isn't pressing that excess leather against the gun. The retention should come from the kydex, not the leather up by the grip. Seen it happen several times, and also creates a problem when reholstering. You should be able to do it one-handed without the leather folding over the mouth of the kydex.

Yeah, it's not that bad. I'll see how it improves in the next couple days. Breaks my heart to wear the finish on that Kimber... lol. But it is an EDC. I'm able to draw single-handed, it's just not as smooth as I want it to be yet. The retention is a little more than I want, but since I'm just starting to carry I don't want to adjust the kydex at all until I know I want it looser.

This thread needs more glock :D

That's like saying Red Lobster needs more mac & cheese... :P

Bayou Boy

Send it!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 29, 2010
    Quitman, LA
    Congrats! It takes a little getting used to but it's a great feeling.

Just don't keep messing with your shirt or belt or pants. Nobody is noticing.;)

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I have a bunch I (By "I" I mean Ashley) am mailing out Friday, I think yours is in the batch that should go out early next week. I'll be honest, I just know them by 42" brown, 39" black, etc. Ashley is the one who knows which one is which and where they are going.

Cochise

is not here
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Calhoun
    Is there an advantage to the horsehide over the cowhide? Is one thicker or more durable than the other, or is the only real difference the color?
    I'm curious because those crossbreeds really look like the way to go.

Last edited:

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Is there an advantage to the horsehide over the cowhide? Is one thicker or more durable than the other, or is the only real difference the color?

Eh, I have some horsehide. It is a pain to dye, but the real disadvantage is getting it in sizes needed to make what you need. It is only really available from cordovan shoe cut offs, so it is a short, narrow strip where they cut the best part out for shoes. Cowhide is more than adequate for a holster. You can occasionally find large pieces of soft rolled horse hide cut offs, but they are rare to find. Most are hard rolled, and kind of small.

Crossbreed has the baddest looking clip on the market, but I am biased towards 100% leather holsters...

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    I have a bunch I (By "I" I mean Ashley) am mailing out Friday, I think yours is in the batch that should go out early next week. I'll be honest, I just know them by 42" brown, 39" black, etc. Ashley is the one who knows which one is which and where they are going.

I am 42" brown, but my friends call me Didley :P

Eh, I have some horsehide. It is a pain to dye, but the real disadvantage is getting it in sizes needed to make what you need. It is only really available from cordovan shoe cut offs, so it is a short, narrow strip where they cut the best part out for shoes. Cowhide is more than adequate for a holster. You can occasionally find large pieces of soft rolled horse hide cut offs, but they are rare to find. Most are hard rolled, and kind of small.

Crossbreed has the baddest looking clip on the market, but I am biased towards 100% leather holsters...

Mine is solid horse hide. Not patched pieces or anything. According to crossbreed the horse hide is better in humid areas or if you're going to be sweating a lot. Time will tell, but since this is going to be used daily, I went with horse hide just in case.

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    So I've found that wearing my holster in the 4 o'clock is perfectly comfortable. Retention has loosened up well and the leather is starting to break in. Love the holster.

LouisianaGuy

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2011
    Walker, LA
    I bought the white hat horse hide non combat, then cut it myself, works fine, but wish I had not trimmed it because now if I don't wear a tshirt under my regular shirts, the cold ass metal of the trigger guard touches bare flesh lol....also once you get it broken in, the top of the holster will likely begin to lip over your gun a bit, and depending on which gun you carry it could lip over a good bit...leaning over toward your console when your driving makes the top lip over, but the lip don't hinder my draw....and wear it when you sweat lol it will break in faster
    What difference does the belt y'all are talking about make? I either wear a standard leather belt or my military web belt, it completely covers the clip with the exception of the little beaver tail part at the bottom....
    I hope this don't make anyone mad, and if it does just tell me or have moderator remove the post......once you get a white hat or cross breed order extra kidex and clips and hardware....why you might ask...Well I discovered something while I was at the renaissance festival last year " and no I'm not a renaissance guy" my kids like to go and I like to eat the turkey. Legs, drink the beer and look at the women in those tight corsets hehe....sorry ladies.
    Anyhow....there is a leather shop, and I will just say this ....$5.00 for something that you can attach those other kydex and hardware to that you bought ;-).... I gave the guy a 10 spot lol.
    Hope I did not just over step my bounds....I can post a pic if anyone would like to see the $5.00 item.
    Sorry guys I'm just a cheep ass :-0 as I'm sure some of you are, I like to spend less on accessories so I can spend more on guns lol

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    I bought the white hat horse hide non combat, then cut it myself, works fine, but wish I had not trimmed it because now if I don't wear a tshirt under my regular shirts, the cold ass metal of the trigger guard touches bare flesh lol....also once you get it broken in, the top of the holster will likely begin to lip over your gun a bit, and depending on which gun you carry it could lip over a good bit...leaning over toward your console when your driving makes the top lip over, but the lip don't hinder my draw....and wear it when you sweat lol it will break in faster
    What difference does the belt y'all are talking about make? I either wear a standard leather belt or my military web belt, it completely covers the clip with the exception of the little beaver tail part at the bottom....
    I hope this don't make anyone mad, and if it does just tell me or have moderator remove the post......once you get a white hat or cross breed order extra kidex and clips and hardware....why you might ask...Well I discovered something while I was at the renaissance festival last year " and no I'm not a renaissance guy" my kids like to go and I like to eat the turkey. Legs, drink the beer and look at the women in those tight corsets hehe....sorry ladies.
    Anyhow....there is a leather shop, and I will just say this ....$5.00 for something that you can attach those other kydex and hardware to that you bought ;-).... I gave the guy a 10 spot lol.
    Hope I did not just over step my bounds....I can post a pic if anyone would like to see the $5.00 item.
    Sorry guys I'm just a cheep ass :-0 as I'm sure some of you are, I like to spend less on accessories so I can spend more on guns lol

Nick makes some nice custom belts. I can't tell you personally how it will improve things, but I'll let you know once it comes in. For the most part, I bought it because they look GREAT and I like supporting some of our local talent (soon to be businessman once he incorporates). Plus the belts I do have are cheapy leather reversible belts.

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    I had to cut-out where the mag-release was on my C.B. because when i pulled the pistol out the mag would hit the floor. (g30,29) My M-Tac was already cut to avoid that situation. I like the C.B. but the M-Tac is a close second. Nice set up you have. Enjoy and be safe.

Top Bottom