First Pistol for Daughter Questions

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 101guns

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Monroe, LA
    Forgive me for my ignorance of handguns.

Here's the deal:

My 22 yo daughter moves to Shreveport for med school. Lives alone in home. Has met friends who shoot on weekends and goes with them. I am glad she is enjoying it....so much she joined a range. Her hands are large and strong. Has deer hunted for years with .260, 300 Savage, 270, etc.

She has shot enough different guns by now to form a few opinions:

She knows she prefers 9mm ----- over 40, 45, 380, etc.

She knows she prefers auto.

But, she is now saying she may want to get her CC license.

So, knowing that she will be shooting on weekends more than carrying conceals (can't carry at school or hospital), should I get her a compact size anyway for eventual carry so she gets intimately familiar with it or stick with something with a little longer plane/barrel that she will enjoy shooting more at the range now.

Took her to the store and let her handle several. She liked the Glock and the S&W MP. Saw a smile with Kimber Solo too. All i hear from the local buds is Glock, Glock, Glock, but something makes me want to get her something with a safety on it.

My thoughts at present are one of these:

S&W M&P Shield
    Glock 17
    Glock 19
    Glock 26
    Walther PPQ
    Springfield EMP

I may have to get more than one, unless one of you in the know can suggest a good compromise. I am NOT wed to just the ones on this list either. Finally, I will spend more and cry once if its best.

Thanks for your patience and time in replying.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    What are your thoughts on the manual safety issue?

I think manual safeties make sense on a pistol with a super light, super short single action trigger (like on the 1911). With a 5+ pound double action trigger on pistols like the Glock, I think a manual safety is nothing more than false security and potential for failure. You either handle a gun safely or you don't. If you do, the manual safety is meaningless.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    340   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    The G19 as described by SR is a great choice and quality training is the answer relative to trigger safety issues.

beauxdog

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Take a close look at the Ruger LC9s & Pro version. They are striker fired and light than the rest. Their size fits even large hands well and the trigger pull on the ones I've seen is the best of all the small 9's out there. They deserve to be looked at with the rest.

Beauxdog

Redd508

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 18, 2012
    Lafayette
    The M&P shield comes with interchangeable backstraps and can be had with or without a mechanical safety. It gives you more options to "customize" the fit of the gun to her hand. I like glocks but they arent the best fit for everyone. I cant speak to the springfield or walther but my neighbor has a Ruger 9c that is pretty well made. Theres no substitute for experience tho. She should try as many as possible before she buys. Weight, girth, lop, trigger weight and elevation of bore axis all play a factor in perceived recoil impulse and controllability.

101guns

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Monroe, LA
    Thanks for all the replies...I have read some on my own...not seeing as many bragging on the Kimber. May be a fine gun priced right out of the market for many.

Bmash

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2013
    Zachary, LA
    I don't think you need a safety. Trigger pull is heavy enough to not be a concern. (Of course I don't use a purse) Whatever she decides, be consistent. You don't want to pull trigger with safety on...
    BTW I like Kahr for concealed carry.
    For home defense consider something with a longer barrel.

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    I've said it before on here, but here it goes again.

I carry a Ruger sr9c on my hip at 0300 on a daily basis. I chose that firearm as my daily carry because it has a manual safety. I just feel more comfortable having the manual safety when I'm physically walking around with it. My daily duties include more than just walking around, shopping and cooking. It just makes me feel better having it there and I've worked on training scenarios with friends regarding situations with the firearm/safety. My bedside gun and second shooter is a gen3 g19.

What comes down to is handling and shooting. I understand she's held multiple firearms to get the feel, but I suggest shooting them individually too. It certainly helped my decision.

Last edited:

obryap

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2015
    Paulina, LA
    My wife chose the M&P shield because of the manual safety, but I prefer the trigger on the Springfield XDS, and they same size. The EMP is great, but it is heavier and much more expensive.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    +1 for a pistol with a manual safety. God forbid she has the gun taken from her there is the slim chance that the bad guy won't know how to operate it. It happens. Yes, a safety is an added step at a time when you're stressed but your kid is going to med school, she can figure it out!

No gun is easier to learn to shoot well than a 1911. How about a 1911 in 9mm?

Hattrick 22

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Kenner, Louisiana
    I've said it before on here, but here it goes again.

I carry a Ruger sr9c on my hip at 0300 on a daily basis. I chose that firearm as my daily carry because it has a manual safety. I just feel more comfortable having the manual safety when I'm physically walking around with it. My daily duties include more than just walking around, shopping and cooking. It just makes me feel better having it there and I've worked on training scenarios with friends regarding situations with the firearm/safety. My bedside gun and second shooter is a gen3 g19.

What comes down to is handling and shooting. I understand she's held multiple firearms to get the feel, but I suggest shooting them individually too. It certainly helped my decision.

This let her pick a gun after shooting it. Some may feel good but have poor shoot ability when practicing/training

Fred_G

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    West Monroe
    Let me just put this in here. GOOD HOLSTER! Manual safety if up to her, but a good holster is key in my opinion.

I am a fan of the M&P line, a Shield might work for her, but let her choose it.

Jmfox3

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    I went through the same with my daughter at 19. She wanted a pistol. I made her shoot many guns at the range and dry fire at gun shops. I explained trigger pulls, single action, double action, revolvers, etc. Different carry situations...like you'll never be able to conceal a combat 1911 on you hip so it will be a purse gun and a heavy one at that. She eventually settled on a Glock 19; I snuck "C" into the equation picking a Gen 3 19C for a good price. Installed an oversized mag release and slide catch and give it to her on her 20 birthday. Anyway, suggesting you do the same. Use it as a teaching opportunity and get some father-daughter bonding in also; and now she likes to go to the range when she is home from school. Good luck.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    If I had to chose a handgun that could be concealed, but not so small it's a pain to shoot, I would chose:

Glock 19
    Ruger SR9C
    Smith & Wesson M&P9C

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bruce robison
    Top Bottom