First Pistol for Daughter Questions

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    101guns...

S&W M&P Shield - Good weapon, I've shot them, but it reminded me of the XDs... which I had both versions of but sold them.
    Glock 17 - Full size... big gun and I'm not sure how big/small your daughter's hands are.
    Glock 19 - Amazing tool... however still a little large for a female carry option in my opinion.
    Glock 26 - Again, depending on your daughters hands, the Glock frame can be a little "thick".
    Walther PPQ - The PPQ again is a larger weapon, it has one of my favorite triggers on the planet and great ergonomic feel.
    Springfield EMP - I almost purchased the EMP last week. Pre-tricked out with night sights, extension on the magazine, comes with all the typical Springfield extras, has a great feel to it and with an all metal weapon you'll have recoil reduction.

Now for some other options in my opinion...

My most recent experience is with the SiG P938... its like a mini 1911-ish pistol basically. It has a lot of great extras... comes with a small OWB holster that is great for the range, night sights, nice trigger, easy breakdown, stock Hogue grip, and an extended 7 round magazine. Very small and GREAT feel to it in your hand with the Hogue Grip.

Similar to the Kimber SOLO, which I almost purchased as well. The ONLY thing I didn't like about the SOLO was the magazine release. It was VERY stiff, no serrations (it was smooth) and would definitely pose a problem when under duress. The SOLO would be a great option otherwise. All of the edges are rounded so it won't snag anything, good stock sights, trigger very similar to the Kahr PM series weapons.

I would also consider the Ruger LC9s (Not sure you NEED the pro version if you want her to have a manual safety... the PRO version is the same weapon but without the manual safety). I don't like how narrow the single stack grip was, but that's an easy fix. Great trigger, sights for the LC9 will work with some modification to the sight dovetails (I have XS Big dots on mine).

The LCP (LCPs should be coming soon - Rumor) or the LCP Custom are additional options. It is a .380 AUTO, and it doesn't have a safety, but it's not the huge of a leap from 9mm and there are some great .380 defense ammo options. The Custom Shop LCP has dovetail sights and a skeletonized trigger, but they really didn't do anything for the trigger pull, travel, etc.

Most CCW options for women focus on smaller footprints (handbags, brazier, etc.) given the style of dress most women wear. Most of the handbag options you will find at local stores look like something a 45 year old chainsmoking biker babe would carry around). If she decides to go with one of these options, a lot of designers are coming out with CCW bags given the increase in demand. Also, the number of pocket holsters and holsters designed to be carried in handbags, or even iPad cases, it really depends on your daughters style as to what/how she's going to want to carry. I've found that smaller, no rough edges, and a manual safety work best for most of the women I have worked with. Smaller is better because it doesn't take up much room for them. No rough edges mean no snagging on anything on the way out while being drawn. Manual safety means no keys, lipstick, tampon, or anything else can enter the trigger guard and cause a discharge. Of course there are options that cover just the trigger guard as well. (Just FYI, this is in no way an attempt at being sexist or to be negative toward women. These statements are based on things I've seen, been asked, or been told has happened).

Hope that helps and gives you some more insight on these weapons and additional options.

Sorry... I forgot a couple... The Glock 42. Typical Glock product. I have not had any issues with it and its a great little weapon to have. Galloway Precision just released an extended slide stop and magazine release as well, night sights are available, extended magazines are also available.

The 9mm Walther CCP... same ergonomics as the PPQ, but more the size of the P22. The new recoil reduction system works great. No sharp edges to snag anything, great trigger in typical Walther Fashion. My only complaint is that the forward sight is polymer and just snapped into the slide. In the past, when I've heated up the slide on my P22, the front sight tended to heat up and pop off, so I replaced it with another that had a retention screw. Given the design of the CCP, the slide would tend to heat up a bit (based on previous similar designs be different manufacturers) and to me could very well pose the same problem (not that it matters up close and personal).

Last edited:

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    +3 for the Gen 4 G19 if she's experienced enough to handle a firearm properly. If she's lacking in this department, I'd vote for more refresher courses at the range with dad, and then a Gen 4 G19

If for some reason she just has warm fuzzies about a manual safety, I'd opt for the shield 9mm. Bonus points to it being thin enough to conceal in girly clothes.

fwiw: My wife carries a g19 and is small/medium framed. You'd never know she's got it, but she dresses like a hippie so there is that.

Last edited:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Bonus points to it being thin enough to conceal in girly clothes.

And how do you know this?

7218823442_7fbc71f835.jpg

:mamoru: We're on page 2 and no one has cracked a joke yet.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I've undressed plenty of women to find it neatly tucked on a hip. :cool:

...or I've got a weekend hobby that's none of your business. You be the judge.

LOL I won't need to judge. Society has already accepted the "strange" when we have a BDSM movie in theatres now.

rabiddawg

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    Lafayette, LA
    I don't have experience with many of the pistols referenced here but i would like to add my experiences with my wife.

Fran's gun is a ruger sp101 357. I started her on .38's but she wanted to shoot the 357's until it recoiled and broke a nail(bleeding, tears etc). She has never been accurate with the revolver or any other auto in 9mm or 45.

Then one day my daughter expressed an interest in getting a pistol. Dad had a walther pp in 32 so i talked him into giving it to Sarah. Short version is, Fran is very accurate with the 32 and i expect Sarah will be too.

My point is, even though she wants a 9 if she cant shoot it accurately you may want to look at a 380. My girls are just over gunned at 9mm and up.

CoolDad67

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Slidell, LA
    Take a close look at the Ruger LC9s & Pro version. They are striker fired and light than the rest. Their size fits even large hands well and the trigger pull on the ones I've seen is the best of all the small 9's out there. They deserve to be looked at with the rest.

Beauxdog

I bought my wife an LC9 and am thinking about getting one for myself. This is a sweet little 9mm. Shoots well and easily carried.

Slapp

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    Jacksonville, FL
    I'm ad xd fan myself, with that being said you can do the blind test. Take the guns she likes, have her close her eyes, lay the guns out on the table/counter have her pick up each gun in any random order, whichever feels best to her that's the one you go with.

Newgene

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2015
    Waveland, MS
    I see the debate going back and forth with a ton of very good options. My advice would be to get two different guns. I know that's not where you plan to start, but I'm sure that's where you'll end up. I have always found trying to get one gun to run double duty, leaves you with one gun that is good at neither. If she likes 9mm, and thinks she'll go to the range more, why not get a gun that is fun to shoot at a range (SP01/75B, G17, M&P full-sized, XDm, P226, etc.). When she decides she wants to carry, then go for the gun based on how it conceals, and how well it shoots for the range of one, maybe two, mags. Most guns that conceal well are very tough for females to shoot. If getting the range gun first means she enjoys shooting and practices more, go with that one, hands down. Get the CCW later.

Last edited:

usmc-nav

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I'm in a similar situation with my daughter. We will go shoot the Beretta Tomcat or a Sig P6. Beretta has a manual safety and a tip up barrel for easier loading while the Sig has the DA/SA trigger and a decocker. Beretta 32 and Sig 9 mm.
    I'll see which she prefers.

US Infidel

TRUST NO ONE
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 30, 2012
    Earth
    Most guns that conceal well are very tough for females to shoot.

NOT. A female has the ability to shoot just as well as a male.
    A G 19 is a good "do all gun" IMO. A manual safety is the last thing I would want in a carry weapon. Just train to not put your finger on the trigger until your ready to fire.

When she decides she wants to carry, then go for the gun based on how it conceals, and how well it shoots for the range of one, maybe two, mags.
    No. Shoot the **** out of your carry gun.

Good luck with your decision.

Last edited:

Feral45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2015
    Breaux Bridge, Louisiana
    Well Dad, you're in it now. Has to be a Gen 4 19. Simple, reliable, easy, safe. Yes, safe. It has more safety's than every revolver ever made. Fun at the range and fits in her purse. Next...
    At a birthday or maybe Xmas find her a 32C. Used Gen 3 in good shape. Same basic pistol as a 19 but with a little more rock and roll. She'll like it, betcha! Keep it in the car.
    When she gets through a major milestone at Med school it's time for a little "tradition". You get your safety and she gets the most beautiful pistol in the world. Find her a Mark III Browning Hi Power. Again, used but in really good shape. Blueing perfect. She will be speechless and so will the local buds.
    I wish you luck and a big bucket of smiles for you both.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bruce robison
    Top Bottom