First Purchase Gunbroker

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spec50trout

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2012
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I made my first GB purchase over weekend. This is also first sale for seller, although he has bought several items on GB. He is a "certified member", with favorable reviews.

We have spoken and he seems like a good dude. Although a couple of things I can't confirm. Street address according to Google maps is off by one number(maybe he made mistake). His GB info. also has a different mailing address than where he wants payment sent. His credentials and place of employment given at bottom of emails is over 100 miles from his home(maybe he commutes his ass off).

He was intending to ship to my FFL as private citizen, but shipper won't let him. He now has to go through his FFL to mine. For a handgun this seems legit, please correct me on this. Could someone give approx. cost of shipping handgun from PA to LA. I know often retailers split, or cover the cost of shipping as the cost of doing business.

Our agreement is for me to send postal money order as payment. I would like to do so in an expedited fashion with good faith.

Thought I would run this by those more experienced than I. Please any advice or experiences would be well received. Thanks!

tibodoe

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    Welcome to the nasty money eating addiction that is Gunbroker:p
    I would not worry if the address he requested payment to and his GB address are different.
    When I moved I forgot to change mine also.
    Shipping on a pistol can be all over the board. Some will only ship next day and that get ridiculous.
    I would say around $30 would be in the ball park, shipped and insured. He could do it cheaper
    but most don't know how.
    The postal money order should give you some recourse if he goes bad on you. The postal inspector
    and the ABC boys look at mail fraud involving a firearm really seriously.
    The ffl ship is probably legit, as some shippers will not ship pistols.
    I say all this with over 70 GB transactions, and none have gone bad. I am sure there are a few squirrels out
    there, but I have not come across them yet.
    Good luck, Bret

candrews86

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 10, 2012
    Lake Charles
    Dont worry too much over it, I was paranoid at first as well. It's hard to purchase a gun sight unseen especially if it costs alot! I always look at the feedback of someone and I've had quite a few transactions now with zero problems. I also think gunbroker has some kind of accountability for the users as well. Sometimes its just regular old Joe's that arent really experienced with the laws and shipping etc. Thats probably why it might not be very smooth. Good Luck!

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    Welcome to the nasty money eating addiction that is Gunbroker:p
    I would not worry if the address he requested payment to and his GB address are different.
    When I moved I forgot to change mine also.
    Shipping on a pistol can be all over the board. Some will only ship next day and that get ridiculous.
    I would say around $30 would be in the ball park, shipped and insured. He could do it cheaper
    but most don't know how.
    The postal money order should give you some recourse if he goes bad on you. The postal inspector
    and the ABC boys look at mail fraud involving a firearm really seriously.
    The ffl ship is probably legit, as some shippers will not ship pistols.
    I say all this with over 70 GB transactions, and none have gone bad. I am sure there are a few squirrels out
    there, but I have not come across them yet.
    Good luck, Bret

How do cheaply ship a pistol?

petingrass

Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 20, 2013
    New Orleans area
    UPS and FedEx will ship handguns but not necessarily at every location. FFL holders can use the US Postal Service but private citizens cannot. If USPS were allowed to ship liquor and handguns that would improve their financial situation but they are limited by regulation. last time I tried to ship a gun ups told me I had to go to the distribution center across town. FedEx location was clueless enough that I gave up and took it to my FFL which actually ended up being cheaper. They are allowed to use the USPS which is better rates because they don't have to to send it Priority Overnight, which UPS and FedEx require.

Royst

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2013
    Slidell
    As the others said, don't worry much. GB is my go to place to purchase guns. I've bought at least 10 off the site and never had any problems. It's the best place to to buy. If you shop right you can usually get the best deal there.

hunter5567

Monolithic Mentor
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Oct 9, 2006
    Denham Springs, LA. near B.R.
    FFL to FFL is a good deal too as if you have a problem with your purchase you can ship it back to the FFL.
    Send payment Certified and they will have to sign for it to receive it or at least send it with Delivery Confirmation/Signature required.

spec50trout

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2012
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Update. I went ahead and sent payment via certified mail as suggested. The only bummer is I had to pay for his transfer cost to ship to me. I guess I could have made a big deal of this as this was not part of the initial agreement. Oh well, lesson learned. Thanks again for the advice gentlemen!

jvr

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 29, 2013
    new orleans
    I have used the ups store to ship guns.

Of the 10 transactions on gunbroker I encountered 1 problem; a blem on the stock that did not show in the picture. The owner immediately offered to have it returned at his expense and refund my shipping too. We resolved it quickly and all was good. If you are really concerned with sending the money. Contact a gb ffl at the sellers location; ask him to handle the transaction; send him the money and he can give it to the seller upon receipt of the firearm.

I have felt comfortable just sending the money directly to the seller.

Ferrara Fire

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 12, 2013
    Baton Rouge, Louisiana
    Non FFL's should not use USPS to send a gun.

Price IME is typically $15-$20 to ship a pistol. Weight effects price more than size, a heavy revolver costs more than a light pistol in a bigger box.

Top Bottom