First Time At The Sherburne Range

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Butrbal

Rok Out Whit Ya Glock Out
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    Prairieville
    I am looking for input from those that have been to Sherburne. It is approx 1.5 hrs from home and I would like to have everything I need. I have read through several posts but I'm needing specifics.

This is what I know:
    The targets on the pistol and rifle range are steel and have to be reset once the range goes cold.
    There are no fees and the range masters are reasonable as long as everyone is being safe.
    You need to have a hunting or fishing licence to use the range.

What are some of the other things a first timer needs to know about Sherburne?

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    There are no steel targets . All wood . Paper targets and staple gun are needed . No range master , self governed . License of some type is required .

Aussiecajun

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Maurice LA
    Can one secure any .223 brass there? :-)
    Should be able to if someone's shooting it and no one's picking it up. I think a fair few people do pick up for themselves though. I've even seen guys come over to the pistol range from the rifle range just to pick up pistol brass that was laying around. Then go straight back over to the rifle range. So it could be hit and miss

Butrbal

Rok Out Whit Ya Glock Out
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    Prairieville
    There are no steel targets . All wood . Paper targets and staple gun are needed . No range master , self governed . License of some type is required .

Thanks for the clarification on the targets. I must have gotten Honey Island and Sherburne mixed up in the thread I was reading.

flamatrix99

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Zachary, La
    I shoot a lot at Sherburne. All the advice here is good stuff. If you can try and go during the week it is way less crowded. Especially now with hunting season upon us. All the bubbas will be there with their paper plate and 3 bullets. I am fortunate that my work schedule allows me to go during the week.

Bulldawg

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    New Roads
    I've been to Sherburne a few times, the fact that it is free draws my cheap butt over there. My only precaution to you is that it is FREE and not all freeloaders know their way around the range or are as respectful/safe as your indoor pay range. Also remember to bring your own paper targets and tape or staple gun to put them up.

I've seen many people that were safe and knew what they were doing at Sherburne, but these two scenarios happened to me on my last two trips.

1) Approx. 6-7 men and women (20 somethings) wearing skinhead t-shirts brought their tactical shotguns over to the pistol range and completely destroyed 3 of the 6 wooden target stands. Everyone likes destroying stuff w/ a shotgun, but those were for the general public to use!

2) A group of guys on the opposite end of the range (about 50 feet away) started firing when the range was cold. I was out there (out of the way, but still!) putting up my target. Luckily a guy closer to them started screaming at them and gave them an earful. They left shortly after.

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    You have to make eye contact with the other shooters and tell them you want to go downrange . If they acknowledge you , AT THAT POINT , watch to see what they do with their weapons and if they back away from the firing line .

EonDresari

Curio & Relic
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    I've been going to Sherburne for quite some time and usually really enjoy it. The few times where I didn't have as much fun were when it was really packed on a Saturday afternoon...but that can be expected so I've tried to make it where I have at least one day/afternoon off in the week to head over there. Every time that I've been there during the week I've either had the rifle range to myself or just me and another person. Everyone that I've shot next to in those situations was very cool, calm, and didn't mind going cold for me to get my targets up after arriving there. Usually we end up in conversations over what we've brought to shoot that day which is all good fun. You can learn about some good deals from folks you just happen to meet. (Thanks to the guy that told me about Model 1 if you use this forum) Luckily I haven't run into any issues like those posted above. My main motivation to make the drive from BR to there is that it's free after purchasing a fishing / hunting license and I genuinely like the facility. Filling out the self clearing permits isn't a big deal and I always am amused when I get back to BR, pull into the drive way and see casings of various calibres squished in between my Bridgestones. :D

FWIW, the ONLY real downside that I hadn't seen anyone mention yet is the drive from the 190 side can be a little....nerve wracking. I used to pray that I wouldn't meet anyone coming up the other side of the railroad crossing / bridge / hump of death when I was driving a smaller vehicle. Ever since I started bringing my Excursion, I say a little prayer for whoever is on the other side to not be in the middle and stay on their side. I don't want to squish a mini cooper or anything. (Yes I saw someone there with a Mini) I've tried informing DOTD about it and I'm sure others have brought it up in the past but it seems very low priority for any kind of warning to be implemented there. Some kind of weight triggered light flashing on both sides of the track would be phenomenal but.... probably not going to happen any time soon. I reckon just try to use your horn before you cross...I tend to roll my window down and listen some before going over but it's still kind of hard to hear over a diesel. **Also deer and other critters like to hang around it in the evening and probably morning, just never been there at sun up.

Anyway, stay safe, and keep shooting.

Last edited:

Aussiecajun

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Maurice LA
    I actually have a question about Sherburne as well. I've only ever used the handgun range, with my wife and I shooting my .22 and my wifes revolver. Which range can I shoot my shotgun on to pattern buckshot? I'd like to find out which shoots best out of my shotgun for HD purposes, but am unsure as to whether to use the handgun or rifle range.

11Bravo

Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Opelousas, LA
    Rules state the handgun range is for handguns and rimfire only. Shotguns should be shot on the rifle range. If possible bring your own target backing as shotguns destroy them fairly quickly. Sometimes LDWF has a hard time getting funds to replace target stands. I remember a few years ago they were asking people to donate wood.

killdee

Wanderer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    BR, LA
    By the rifle entrance there are tickets you fill out, tear in half, and put half in box n keep other half till u leave.

Here is an LDWF webpage with info on the self-clearing forms. It also includes a link to the form, that the website says you can use as well. With this form you can fill it out in advance of your visit.

Sorry, here's the link I said I was including in my earlier post. My interwebz skills are especially poor at 4 AM.

http://www.wlf.louisiana.gov/permit/self-clearing-permit

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SSWEEEE
    Top Bottom