First time hog hunting.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CajunTim

Premium CoonAss Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 19, 2006
    Mandeville, LA
    I went out to Pearl River yesterday morning with some guys and their dogs, hog hunting. So we were out in that marsh and man was that terrain was tuff to get through as every three steps I sank to my knee. So, anyways they were a couple hundred yards in front of me as I ain't in the best shape to be running with dogs. When all of a sudden this sow crosses my path about 10 yards in front of me so I pulled out my Ruger P-94 and shot the bastard twice high shoulder it turns at me(as I have always been told that they will charge you) and starts coming straight at me not real fast though. I put three more in it's face,1 below the eye, 1 above the eye and 1 in the side of the cheek. So it ran under a little bush and I put another 1 in its heart. This was at 7:20 two hours later I managed to drag this thing back to the boat eventually with the help of 4 other people. Estimated weight 200ish, now she is skinned and on ice ready to go the butcher in the morning.

Now I have to go clean my ruger as it is rusted as it was in my pocket as I basically swam across a few sloughs

Pig.jpg

Nick

a.k.a. Nick™
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    Sounds like ya'll had fun. Now try it with bay and catch dogs, once it's bayed up you approach with a catch dog (usually a pit bull) and it'll catch and hold the oinker and you get to come up to it and finish it off with a knife... that's the way the only pig hunt I've ever been on went, and it was a blast

Is there a hog season or is it pretty much open?
    hogs are open year round, only trick is you need the property to hunt, WMA's have either limited or no season established.

CajunTim

Premium CoonAss Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 19, 2006
    Mandeville, LA
    Sounds like ya'll had fun. Now try it with bay and catch dogs, once it's bayed up you approach with a catch dog (usually a pit bull) and it'll catch and hold the oinker and you get to come up to it and finish it off with a knife... that's the way the only pig hunt I've ever been on went, and it was a blast

hogs are open year round, only trick is you need the property to hunt, WMA's have either limited or no season established.

We had the bay and catch dogs, the group got two others, I just jumped this one so I shot him. One of his dogs ran out onto Hwy 90 and got killed. Pearl River is open for about three weeks a year to hunt with dogs so there was a crazy amount of people out there yesterday for opening dday with the dogs.

AK017.jpg

scubasteve

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 12, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Ya'll kill everyone of them useless POS's you can. And next time. take enough gun. lol
    Spanky, hog season is open year round on private lands. Check the LDWF huntin' pamphlet for seasons on the WMA's and legal means of take.

CajunTim

Premium CoonAss Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 19, 2006
    Mandeville, LA
    I think hogs can be hunted year round. Hunting with the dogs(Isn't allowed everywheres and only for short periods), you are not allowed to bring a rifle and only one center fire pistol per group. One of the ohter guys had a .22 pistol.

J

jayd

Looks like fun Tim
    (except the dragging 200lbs of dead weight thru the swamp part:x: )

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    Wait - so you can't hunt them with rifles? What the hell is the point?

I've been wanting to try hog hunting for a couple of years now. To legally shoot at Honey Island I was told I had to get a use pass, so when I went to Walmart to get 380 ammo I bought the pass. The salesman there (Don't knock it. The guy's an old hunter from way back.) said he wasn't sure, but he thought you can hunt hogs year round using whatever weapons are authorized for the current hunting season. Now that sounds very attractive, but having to hunt them with dogs and a knife doesn't sound fun at all.

CajunTim

Premium CoonAss Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 19, 2006
    Mandeville, LA
    You hunt iwth whatever the current season calls for. Except when using dogs which is only 3 weeks out of the year at Pearl River, you are not allowed to use long guns and only 1 center fire pistol per hunting party.

Formermonroehand

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 15, 2007
    Dutchtown
    As much as I love guns, hunting hogs off horses with dogs and a knife is the only way to go! Sticking that double edged Cold Steel behind the shoulder blade is an unbelievable experience that everyone should try at least once! I carry the trusty .45 for backup, but have never had to use it.

Formermonroehand

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 15, 2007
    Dutchtown
    I have done it both ways. Typically grab it by the back legs, but I have killed 2 with the knife when they were at bay with the dogs and stabbed it without grabbing it. You would be amazed at the damage that double edged Cold Steel does. One of the kills, me and the dogs and the boar were in about 3' of Mississippi River backwater and my friends wouldn't wade out there. I got his ass though! :D

Top Bottom