Flu shots

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Do you get a flu shot?

• Yes

Votes: 75 62.5%
    • No, I'm afraid of needles

Votes: 2 1.7%
    • No, I'll get the flu

Votes: 25 20.8%
    • No, its a government plot to install a tracker!

Votes: 18 15.0%

• Total voters

PPBart

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2012
    Denham Springs, LA
    How many of y'all see a primary care physician regularly, at least once a year?

Did your pc physician tell you not to get the flu shot?

Mine have so I do.

??? My dr reminds me every year about this time to get the shot -- calls me if I haven't been in recently. Actually, I was in his office a couple of weeks ago for another issue and got the shot before I left. It's always amusing to me to read these threads each year(!)

TomTerrific

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Centre, Ky
    ??? My dr reminds me every year about this time to get the shot -- calls me if I haven't been in recently. Actually, I was in his office a couple of weeks ago for another issue and got the shot before I left. It's always amusing to me to read these threads each year(!)

Ha! Me, too.

My point was, and you seem to have grasped it, that you really don't care of your health unless you are proactive under the care of a responsible physician. At my age, I have to be.

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    Ha! Me, too.

My point was, and you seem to have grasped it, that you really don't care of your health unless you are proactive under the care of a responsible physician. At my age, I have to be.

That's not true. Some people take care of themselves and just don't ever get sick. I've been sick once in the past ten years. Whooping cough and yes I went to the doctor. If there is nothing wrong then why go? I have to get a physical once a year for work and every time they tell me I'm like an 18 year old. I'm about to turn 35.

PPBart

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2012
    Denham Springs, LA
    ...If there is nothing wrong then why go? I have to get a physical once a year for work and every time they tell me I'm like an 18 year old. I'm about to turn 35.

LOL! You say that once a year you get a physical, so you're "under the care of a responsible physician" -- right? At 35 I was like you, never sick; however, at 65, I have to be a bit more attentive to my own health and care.

gunz4me

Target Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 14, 2006
    Lafayette
    When I worked for the LSU Hospital system, the flu shot was a mandatory thing... Until I had an adverse reaction to one, then they decided to exempt me from the flu shot all together because they didn't want to get sued.

Now here is the crazy thing... I caught the flu more times when I was taking the flu shot than when I didn't take the flu shot. Explain that one...

I'll probably take a flu shot this year since the one that I had an adverse reaction to was a "bad batch" in 2002 or 2003.

Last edited:

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    That's not true. Some people take care of themselves and just don't ever get sick. I've been sick once in the past ten years. Whooping cough and yes I went to the doctor. If there is nothing wrong then why go? I have to get a physical once a year for work and every time they tell me I'm like an 18 year old. I'm about to turn 35.

Same here. Annual physical and they draw blood, lots of blood.... ekg, urine, eyes, ears, pulmonary function test etc.

Doc says I'm healthy as a horse.

Not really sure what that means though lol

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

rtr_rtr

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 24, 2011
    New Orleans

If you're getting annual check ups, I'd say you're under regular care, no? At any rate, plenty of asymptomatic disease that can be picked up on through screening - lipids, blood pressure, blood sugar, cancer, STDs, aortic aneurysm, eye disease, etc

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    If you're getting annual check ups, I'd say you're under regular care, no? At any rate, plenty of asymptomatic disease that can be picked up on through screening - lipids, blood pressure, blood sugar, cancer, STDs, aortic aneurysm, eye disease, etc

It's for work otherwise I wouldn't go at all unless something was wrong. That's the point. Going to a doctor when you feel fine is a waste of money and time.

speedster

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    No negative effects of hypertension, right?

Bingo. You'll feel "fine"...until you don't. And Unfortunately with hypertension, plus the long list of issues that come with it (enlarged heart, stroke, vasculature issues, etc) by the time you start exhibiting symptoms the damage is already done. Diabetes is similar. And cancer can metastasize all over the body before they catch it sometimes. Screening and check-ups are key. Personally (and this isn't directed at anyone on this forum by any means) I think people get check ups and take control of their health before it gets to the point where they are dependent on medications that other people may or may not have to help them pay for (o-mamacare?)

Back to the original topic though..as a nursing student we are required to get the flu vaccine. If I had my choice though I'd opt to not receive it. I've only had the flu once despite hardly ever getting the vaccine back when I was younger. (I'm 24 now) however if I was older, like 50+, then I likely would just because of a potentially decreased immune system.

Last edited:

TomTerrific

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Centre, Ky

You are getting care, sandman. Work physicals can be very useful.

Do they do any bloodwork? At Freeport, once you turned forty, they did bloodwork. I was referred by the company physician twice for surgery, once for an inguinal hernia (turn your head and cough) and for removal of a lipoma on my neck.

TomTerrific

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Centre, Ky
    It's for work otherwise I wouldn't go at all unless something was wrong. That's the point. Going to a doctor when you feel fine is a waste of money and time.

In another five years when you hit forty, the risks go up. You have a good baseline and preventative care IMHO is a great idea.

olivs260

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Geismar, LA
    Got my shot yesterday. No complications yet, of course, but my arm is sore from that giant needle. Yep, I'm a crybaby when it comes to these things :ghey:

rtr_rtr

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 24, 2011
    New Orleans
    I'm not in the govt conspiracy club, so I've decided to put my faith in technology and modern science and just get the shot.

I'm confused with the conspiracy theories for vaccination. Who do people think is in on it? The government plus the pharm industry plus essentially 100% of physicians plus medical researchers? What is the uniting goal between all of them that there would be a common hidden thing to work toward?

Last edited:
    Top Bottom