For your safety

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fordfella

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2018
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Was the 35 mph zone marked?
    As a matter of fact it was!!! We were discussing policing for profit...This is just an examp

What were the tickets for?
    At the end of a 400' drop in elevation one could assume that by way of the gravitational pull of the earth one might be picking up some velocity.
    That's a good question. What did the school board say?
    The local school board is not responsible for signage on a state hwy.
    They can. More often than not, if the police, after watching the bad driver not move after multiple opportunities, moves behind the bad driver and hits the light, the bad driver usually moves over. The problem is now solved. But the police would have probable cause to execute a traffic stop and issue a ticket.
    I've watched Lafayette parish SO follow a hydro crane doing 40 in a 55 down Ambassador Caffery extension in the left lane. He didn't flash him, he turned left and went somewhere else.
    See my previous comment.
    Doesn't happen in Lafayette parish. I was shocked when a local Detective said he knew who was on my carport at 5:00 a.m. because he had been pulled over for a traffic stop. It was the same distinctive truck.
    My question is, what do you have to do to get pulled over for a traffic stop locally???

Again, a few months ago they found 45 pounds of marijuana at a traffic stop. It's just like fishing. Go where you catch more fish. Make more traffic stops, you'll find more weed!
    It's a known fact that people, including police officers, are unable to see everything at the same time.
    Or it was less paperwork this way. The drawing in the police report doesn't match what happened.
    I stopped someone before for running a stop sign. His reason was if he had come to a complete stop, he would have had to wait until the cars passed before he would be able to go. Yep, that's the exact point of a stop sign.
    That was the point I was trying to make. A few tickets and he'll change his driving habits.
    Are they short handed? Monitoring drag racing can use a number of officers. Have you considered hiring a police detail? One officer with his lights on may deter some issues. And it's easier to explain that the officer was on an off duty detail rather than an officer that was assigned there and, therefore, not available to respond to violent crimes.
    Where I grew up there was a stretch of road between Hwy 3 and Hwy 62. Guess what, It was Hwy 362, and went through a little town called Nabb. It was straight, It was flat, and it was where the "Nabb Nationals" were held. I never participated, nor did I attend, but I knew what happened there. If somebody lost it they would end up in a corn field. Whereas, today the stretch between Albertson's and Walmart right through the middle of town seems to be where it happens. Police are doing nothing to keep this from happening through the middle of town. Let's just change the traffic light in front of St. Ed's to a Christmas tree!

You're in luck! In the last 48 hours I have been billed for my police protection
    20231207_220250.jpg

There are those that say "De-fund the Police" because they are inherently racist etc.

You Sir are making the argument for de-funding the police because the taxpayer isn't getting value for the money he is spending. If I have to pay for private protection (I have done just that), I no longer need "The Police."

Personally, I think we need the police. I just think law enforcement needs to do better. I have actually considered sending restaurant gift cards to Morgan City, and Lake Charles police because they publicly released a statement that they would be enforcing the drive right statute. I wanted to buy those officers lunch.

In a state where "Union Justice Confidence" is the state motto, I shouldn't have to pay extra for justice.

On average, how many speeding tickets do the police issue to people who aren't speeding?
    I imagine it's pretty low. Uncle Carl received such a ticket, and a driving instructor told me of someone in his class that was given a ticket for 19 in a 20 school zone.

My point is, if there were indeed good traffic enforcement, auto insurance should go down, as should injuries/fatalities. The Sergent in charge of traffic in Lafayette admitted to me that there is none! They just write the report after the fact. This is unacceptable to me.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    As a matter of fact it was!!! We were discussing policing for profit...This is just an examp

But issuing a speeding ticket to someone who is, in fact, speeding isn't an example of policing for profit.

At the end of a 400' drop in elevation one could assume that by way of the gravitational pull of the earth one might be picking up some velocity.

Yes, that would be a reasonable assumption. But one could also assume that, due to not so recent advances in technology, most modern cars come equipped with a braking system designed to slow the car down and overcome that increase in velocity.

The local school board is not responsible for signage on a state hwy.

Sound like you already know to whom you should address your question.

I've watched Lafayette parish SO follow a hydro crane doing 40 in a 55 down Ambassador Caffery extension in the left lane. He didn't flash him, he turned left and went somewhere else.

Unfortunately, there are more than 17 factors omitted from your example so it's not possible to comment on it.

Doesn't happen in Lafayette parish. I was shocked when a local Detective said he knew who was on my carport at 5:00 a.m. because he had been pulled over for a traffic stop. It was the same distinctive truck.
    My question is, what do you have to do to get pulled over for a traffic stop locally???

I honestly don't understand what you're saying. Was the detective pulled over while driving some truck for a rolling roadblock?

Again, a few months ago they found 45 pounds of marijuana at a traffic stop. It's just like fishing. Go where you catch more fish. Make more traffic stops, you'll find more weed!

Or it was less paperwork this way. The drawing in the police report doesn't match what happened.

Then contest it with your insurance company. The police report isn't actually needed for an insurance claim.

That was the point I was trying to make. A few tickets and he'll change his driving habits.

So are tickets a good thing now? It seems like you talked about tickets being profit generators earlier.

Where I grew up there was a stretch of road between Hwy 3 and Hwy 62. Guess what, It was Hwy 362, and went through a little town called Nabb. It was straight, It was flat, and it was where the "Nabb Nationals" were held. I never participated, nor did I attend, but I knew what happened there. If somebody lost it they would end up in a corn field. Whereas, today the stretch between Albertson's and Walmart right through the middle of town seems to be where it happens. Police are doing nothing to keep this from happening through the middle of town. Let's just change the traffic light in front of St. Ed's to a Christmas tree!

It's happening in a number of cities throughout the state.

You're in luck! In the last 48 hours I have been billed for my police protection
    View attachment 152725
    There are those that say "De-fund the Police" because they are inherently racist etc.

You Sir are making the argument for de-funding the police because the taxpayer isn't getting value for the money he is spending. If I have to pay for private protection (I have done just that), I no longer need "The Police."

No, I'm not. The police cannot be everywhere at all times. What it seems you are requesting is that the police come hang out in case they are needed there. No police department is going to do that. Stores hire off duty officers. Why would they pay for private protection? Aren't the police supposed to generally do what the detail officers are doing? Yes, if they happen to be at that location. But the stores are requesting an officer to be in that specific location for a length of time.

Personally, I think we need the police. I just think law enforcement needs to do better. I have actually considered sending restaurant gift cards to Morgan City, and Lake Charles police because they publicly released a statement that they would be enforcing the drive right statute. I wanted to buy those officers lunch.

In a state where "Union Justice Confidence" is the state motto, I shouldn't have to pay extra for justice.

I imagine it's pretty low. Uncle Carl received such a ticket, and a driving instructor told me of someone in his class that was given a ticket for 19 in a 20 school zone.

My point is, if there were indeed good traffic enforcement, auto insurance should go down, as should injuries/fatalities. The Sergent in charge of traffic in Lafayette admitted to me that there is none! They just write the report after the fact. This is unacceptable to me.

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    Are the police not supposed to give speeding tickets to people who are speeding?
    Sure but I am pretty sure I was doing under 5mph over and it was right where the sign and it was hard to see, so no chance to slow down without hitting brakes.

I have gotten many speed awards in my life and not complained because I deserved them. For that one particular one it was a known speed trap area but unfortunately not known to me.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Sure but I am pretty sure I was doing under 5mph over and it was right where the sign and it was hard to see, so no chance to slow down without hitting brakes.

I have gotten many speed awards in my life and not complained because I deserved them. For that one particular one it was a known speed trap area but unfortunately not known to me.

It sounds like you'd have a good argument to make to the judge in court if the officer did write a ticket.

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    So I remembered the name of the town I got pulled over in and apparently it is known for the speed traps they have. Woodworth,LA. Apparently they make over 51% of the towns revenue in traffic fines.

Top Bottom