Ford QC Issues.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Dang. Back in my teenhood, driving a ‘76 F-150 I was often reminded of the old “found on road dead” and “fixed or repaired daily” jokes, but never had any issues. Bought a ‘73 F-250 in the late 80’s that was another dependable work horse. I guess they don’t build them like they used to. My current truck is a ‘94 Chevy 3500 crew cab. No problems since ‘94. Scared to buy a new truck.

highstandard40

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    The reality is all manufacturers have issues with QC from time to time. ALL of them. And currently the majority of vehicles built today are much better than they used to be. The worst vehicle I ever had was a 71 Malibu. Beautiful car, 350 engine. My brother's 6 cylinder Maverick could outrun it. That 350 was burning oil and the transmission was slipping at 40k miles. My current 2011 F150 has 170k miles and the only part I've had to replace on the engine was a radiator hose. Other than that, two tail light bulbs and of course, brake pads and tires. Back in the early 70s I worked in a repair shop. 4 out of every 5 GM cars that came in for their first tune-up (12k miles) were burning oil so badly that the spark plugs were fouled. Like I said, All manufacturers can have issues, ALL of them.

Last edited:

paddle007

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Covington
    There are quality control issues and then there are the CAFE standards set by CA that are forced upon the rest of the country. New standards require 7,8,10 speed transmissions and smaller engines with direct fuel injection with complex software. The learning curve is huge.
    There will always be some manufactures who shine and some who fail with some models.
    It's always unfortunate we the public are the final testing ground.
    Friends ask me how can they keep selling a problematic product and the answer is easy.
    We keep buying it!

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    There are quality control issues and then there are the CAFE standards set by CA that are forced upon the rest of the country. New standards require 7,8,10 speed transmissions and smaller engines with direct fuel injection with complex software. The learning curve is huge.
    There will always be some manufactures who shine and some who fail with some models.
    It's always unfortunate we the public are the final testing ground.
    Friends ask me how can they keep selling a problematic product and the answer is easy.
    We keep buying it!
    I agree! They do all sorts of nasty crap to the best engines all in the name of EPA approval. Wife’s Honda with the J35 V6 turned 100k and was due for plugs. It suddenly starts running super rough like a dead cylinder so I brought it in and told them, “time for plugs”. They called me and said needs new rings, $4700. I said, “install new plugs. I’ll pick it up tomorrow”
    I showed up with a VCM bypass harness and drove it home. Pulled the plugs, soaked the cylinders overnight with a few ounces of a good toluene product and evacuated each cylinder the next morning. Had to rock the entire car to slosh it around enough to wash the entire top of the piston but my aim was to get enough to seep past the rings to free up any that were stuck. Used a big 1/2” drive ratchet wrench on the right pully to turn the engine over real slow. Got some good before and after pics of the pistons. Compression was good in all cylinders when I was done. Some liqui-moly oil flush and changed the oil then took it out on interstate for a nice Italian tuneup. Running like new now. If you have a vehicle with a VCM or automatic ECO mode, you should consider bypassing it. The damage it does negates that measly extra mileage you might get. And stay away from Covington Honda.

Attachments

• IMG_0371.jpeg
      IMG_0371.jpeg
      1,002.6 KB · Views: 36
    • IMG_0373.jpeg
      IMG_0373.jpeg
      980.6 KB · Views: 36
    • IMG_0391.jpeg
      IMG_0391.jpeg
      427.8 KB · Views: 41
    • IMG_0417.jpeg
      IMG_0417.jpeg
      378.8 KB · Views: 37
    Last edited:

paddle007

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Covington
    I agree! They do all sorts of nasty crap to the best engines all in the name of EPA approval. Wife’s Honda with the J35 V6 turned 100k and was due for plugs. It suddenly starts running super rough like a dead cylinder so I brought it in and told them, “time for plugs”. They called me and said needs new rings, $4700. I said, “install new plugs. I’ll pick it up tomorrow”
    I showed up with a VCM bypass harness and drove it home. Pulled the plugs, soaked the cylinders overnight with a few ounces of a good toluene product and evacuated each cylinder the next morning. Had to rock the entire car to slosh it around enough to wash the entire top of the piston but my aim was to get enough to seep past the rings to free up any that were stuck. Used a big 1/2” drive ratchet wrench on the right pully to turn the engine over real slow. Got some good before and after pics of the pistons. Compression was good in all cylinders when I was done. Some liqui-moly oil flush and changed the oil then took it out on interstate for a nice Italian tuneup. Running like new now. If you have a vehicle with a VCM or automatic ECO mode, you should consider bypassing it. The damage it does negates that measly extra mileage you might get. And stay away from Covington Honda.
    Were you adding oil between oil services and are you mindful of flushing the transmission fluid every 30K?

folivier

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    I bought a 2011 Silverado a few years ago. Burning oil so got it at a good price. Attached my inTune tuner and disabled the AFM mode. Didn't use a drop of oil since disabling. Agree some of these "fixes" just cause more problems.

NAHMINT

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My bush truck is a 1998 long box reg cab F 150...RUST FREE 4x4 .4.6 romeo v8. in over 10 years, alt,, starter, brake pads and 2 cam followers.
    3rd.owner. no complaints...........now my '73 corvette 454. that was ,except for foolish speed up to WHISTLER ski resort,it was a p.o.s..........DSCF0143.JPG

Top Bottom