Forster Co-Ax press

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FTRrookie

Freedom Not Free Stuff
    Rating - 98.6%
    68   1   0
    Apr 25, 2009
    Houma, la
    I just ordered one and got to thinking. How do you bump the shoulder with it? I mostly neck size but every 3rd or 4th firing I F/L resize.

FishingFool

Calls the shot
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    Metairie
    I just ordered one and got to thinking. How do you bump the shoulder with it? I mostly neck size but every 3rd or 4th firing I F/L resize.

I have never neck sized so someone here can comment on it. However, the f/l die sets the shoulder back. I take measurements with an rcbs precision mic.

FTRrookie

Freedom Not Free Stuff
    Rating - 98.6%
    68   1   0
    Apr 25, 2009
    Houma, la
    I should have phrased my question a little better. What I meant to ask was how do you set the die up to bump the shoulder back .002". On a rcbs press I have the option to use either Reddings competition shell holders or Sinclair shims. The forster doesn't use standard shell holders and I don't know if you can use shims under the lock ring.

tallwalker

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Covington, LA
    I'm not sure about the shims, but somehow I doubt you could use shims with the spring loaded shell holder that the Co-Ax uses. A number of companies do make a shell holder adapter for the Co-Ax though (including Forster itself) I would just call and find out your best option. Forster is good people.

beauxdog

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    You turn down the die just as any other press. You make your measurement with a head-space gage and from there you can turn the die down to bump the shoulder back. This should work & I sent Lanny a message to also answer.

Thanks,

Bryan Guillory
    Louisiana Gun

xmeister

xmeister
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Prairieville
    Bryan is correct. Before fancy shims and shell holders came along, folks just loosened the lock ring and turned the die down a little at a time. It still works just fine in a Forster or RCBS.

Re-reading your post, I don't see any mention of using a bump gage or a headspace gage. You must use one even with shims, etc.

Lanny

Metryshooter

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    +1
    A coax isn't that different from a run-of-the-mill press, it just typically has less run out. Don't over-think it, you're not using an arbor press.

FishingFool

Calls the shot
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    Metairie
    You will like the coaxe. It is so awesome to just snap in dies and go to town, even switching between calibers. Order a bunch of the forster rings for all of your dies. That's the only thing that sucks. I load 45/70, 30-30, .223, and now 308 with it and would never part with this press for low volume rifle reloading.

FTRrookie

Freedom Not Free Stuff
    Rating - 98.6%
    68   1   0
    Apr 25, 2009
    Houma, la
    Thanks guys. I forgot about the "old school" way of setting up a die. LOL I was just wondering if there were any tips or tricks that would come in handy setting up my new press. Lanny, I do use a bump gage thanks for the help.

By a strange coincidence I already have forster rings on all of my dies. I hated the ones that came on my Redding dies and I replaced them with forster a while back.

Top Bottom