Found a gun at a local pawn shop, asking BS members about the value / price.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • twokids

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 24, 2011
    Oscar, LA.
    I was checking out guns at a local pawn shop and came across a Winchester Model 70 Stealth in 308 for $500.
    i did a quick check of the condition of the gun, seems to be in very good condition.
    The picture attached is not the actual gun, but one from Winchesters website.
    Do you consider the price fair?
    What is your take on the reputation of this model gun?
    Is this model shooter or a dud?

Thanks in advance for any information

TwoKids

Attachments

• Model-70-Stealth-II-MID-535955-l.jpg
      Model-70-Stealth-II-MID-535955-l.jpg
      22.2 KB · Views: 94
    Last edited:

sksshooter

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    Walker, LA
    not familiar with that model. see where it was built. if its a new haven rifle i would say try to get it otd for $500 and you would be in pretty good shape. if its a newer UT built rifle i would say its a fair price at 500 plus tax. also check and make sure its not a blind mag model. i would stay away from any blind mag rifles as they are kind of a pain as you have to cycle the bolt on live rounds to unload it. you'll want a hinged floorplate model.

twokids

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 24, 2011
    Oscar, LA.
    not familiar with that model. see where it was built. if its a new haven rifle i would say try to get it otd for $500 and you would be in pretty good shape. if its a newer UT built rifle i would say its a fair price at 500 plus tax. also check and make sure its not a blind mag model. i would stay away from any blind mag rifles as they are kind of a pain as you have to cycle the bolt on live rounds to unload it. you'll want a hinged floorplate model.

Thanks for the information, it is very helpful. :)

Dr Elliot

Breeder of Deer Dogs
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    Jul 19, 2010
    Metairie
    FWIW, Almost all pawn shop prices are negotiable. More if it's actually a pawned used item, less if it's new. I would probably start with an offer of 400 or less. Has it been there for a while? Check tag for any dates and check gun for dust on tip of forend, dust or lint in barrel, etc. BlueBook values the 1999-2003 Stealth at $850 in 100% condition, $650 in 95%, $600 in 90%. The 2004-2006 Stealth II is $750 in 100%, $500 in 95%, and $425 in 90%. Also, inspect it very closely, as it will be sold "as is" with no guarantee or warranty.

sksshooter

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    Walker, LA
    what elliot posted clears up the build. its definatly going to be a new haven built rifle. also blue book values really doesn't mean a ton on firearms and tend not to align with actual market values. the new haven built rifles while they are good solid rifles the fit and finish isn't quite as nice as the newer UT built rifles. that said they don't tend to pull a premium on the used market. from what ive seen the $4-450 range would be a good price point to purchase at. my experience is that at the least you can get a pawn shop to eat the tax and take the sticker price. i would do as elliot said and throw out $400 to start off though. never know if its been there a little while they may bite.

twokids

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 24, 2011
    Oscar, LA.
    Thanks for the additional information, I will try to inspect the rifle tomorrow when i have more time to get a close look at it. i was in a rush yesterday, this time i will bring a bore light and a magnifying glass to read the stamping better, my eye glasses are not up to the job.

Thanks Guys !!!

Cleburne

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    May 31, 2008
    Thibodaux
    also blue book values really doesn't mean a ton on firearms and tend not to align with actual market values.

I heartily agree. Blue Book prices are outlandishly high from my experience. Never understood why folks put so much stock in it. May be okay for other parts of the country.

sksshooter

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    Walker, LA
    I heartily agree. Blue Book prices are outlandishly high from my experience. Never understood why folks put so much stock in it. May be okay for other parts of the country.

i could see it maybe being usefull for more rare guns or higher end guns that don't trade hands often enough to be able to base a price off of market value on. but your run of the mill guns that sale every day i don't see them being very usefull.

Dr Elliot

Breeder of Deer Dogs
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    Jul 19, 2010
    Metairie
    Blue Book prices actually are a pretty good indicator. The 2004-2006 Stealth II is valued at $500 in 95% condition, and that's what the shop is asking. The key is putting an honest appraisal on the condition of the gun. A 100% gun is in PERFECT condition LNIB, and values go down quickly from there. I have looked at guns described by sellers as "excellent" and found scratches, scrapes, dings, holster wear, surface rust, pitting, etc. "Good condition" is a pretty broad and subjective assessment, but "LNIB, excellent, perfect, pristine" indicate something totally different.

twokids

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 24, 2011
    Oscar, LA.
    I visited the pawn shop again today and here are the details of the rifle. It has been there awhile.
    It is a Winchester Model 70 Stealth, it is made in UT, it has a hinged floor plate.
    The rifle has a scuff mark on the barrel (it does not go through the finish) and a small mark on the muzzle. the muzzle crown is intact and sharp.
    the magazine follower show very little scuff marks.
    I checked the bore with a a bore light, it looks very good with sharp rifling and no pitting.
    No optics.

They have it marked at $599, I think I would offer $350 as a starting point and work from there.

:)

sksshooter

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    Walker, LA
    i guess i was wrong to assume from elliots bluebook qoute that this was an older model as i don't see them on the winchester site. so this is a newer rifle built in the last couple years. i would say you would do well if you got it around the $500 mark and you still wouldn't be in bad shape even at 550 as the newer ut built rifles are pulling a better price on the used market.

twokids

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 24, 2011
    Oscar, LA.
    I am going to research on the internet in more detail about this model, just being cautious. It is a shame that you can't shoot it before you buy it.
    I spoke with a BS member who does 600 yard shooting at Palo Alto in Donaldsonville. He said that it should be a good beginners LTR (long range target rifle).
    For a price of 400 to 500 it has a good barrel profile, good action, and good stock. It just does not have all the aftermarket options that Remington and Savage have.

Still mulling it over, got to let it simmer, trying not to impulse buy.

Thanks for all input from all BS members. :bowdown:

Top Bottom