fresh vanilla beans,beer brewing

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Asc.rudeboy

Walmitfahrer tactical#103
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 14, 2008
    yea for that kind of price i wouldnt want to use it as a backdrop of flavor in a beer,,hell i would feel guilty about putting that on ice....

think knob creek,makers mark is in the price range i feel comfortable putting in to a batch of beer.....i thought about some george diclke but that sour mash is actually really sweet and i dont know if it would blend well.

toddrod

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 14, 2007
    Vacherie, LA
    Nice to see another brewer on the site. I make my own as well, as witnessed by the picture below.

Vanilla beans - I would try the Whole Foods Store.

Bourbon Vanilla Porter - Most of those kits I have used or tasted called for Makers Mark, but Knob Creek should be fine as well. Did your kit come with the Oak chips for the secondary?

Below is what is sitting 2 ft from my computer. For those not in the know, it is a chest freezer with 5 - 5 gal kegs, each with a different type of homebrew in it, plus numerous bottles of microbrew and homebrew.

100_0497.jpg

For alot of information on Homebrewing try homebrewtalk.com. I am on there under the same name.

Asc.rudeboy

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 14, 2008
    yea it came with the oak chips,,its from northern brew,,
    i got a kegerator at the house i want to change to a multi tap system,,i think i can fit 4 of those cornie kegs with a multi tap head on it,,,but i havent jumped to kegging yet..figured i do a couple more brews first..

i think im gonna soak the chips for a fewdays,with half a bean pour that mixture into the secondary that wau the oak will pull some of the vanilla as well..then when i do the transfer place the other bean and a half on the bottom of the carboy pour the beer over it them..then just let it ride in a secondary tasting it till i like the mix,, then let it bottle age for 6 or so months and hopefully everything will mello out just right..

ive lerked on that forum i guess i need to just join,,,and bounce between this one and that haha

LAYNFRM

in the fire
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    central/pride
    i'm seriously considering holding off on some gun purchases and getting a home brewing setup. i saw a couple books on how to brew online for $20 each, so i might get a couple of them soon. any ideas on what kits are best for beginners? i would be a complete novice when it comes to this, but i've wanted to try it for a long time.

what's the timeline usually look like from start to finish?

Asc.rudeboy

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 14, 2008
    http://www.northernbrewer.com/starterkits.html
    a decent quality set up isnt that expensive,,its the bells and whistles that get you,,but it can be done with out them..check out this brew kit,,,the deluxe starter kit has all the equipment needed to brew except the brew pot (nice stanless steal 2.5 to 5gal only used for beer brewing),,,just need to add cleaning brushes, sanatizer, and bottles

ok so now you have your equipment
    look for kits,,not recipies kits come pre measured and ready to go with time stamps and temps and how to mix....i used willima sbrewing for my first 3 brews and they all came out great.. http://www.williamsbrewing.com/Home_Brewing_C198.cfm theres tons of equipment and beer brewing and recipie kits on both sights i posted.....get williams to send you a free catalog they have complete set ups they dont advertise online...

brewing beer takes 60 mins(pre clean and after clean add a hour or 2)
    ferminting beer takes a couple weeks (depending on the beer)
    bottle age take a couple more weeks,,,then you have 5 gallons of your beer ready to go..

theres tons and tons of info online just search and read,,,i brewed 3 with out a book just following directions.its what you do after that effects the outcome of the brew..its as easy and as complicated as you make it out to be.the more complex the beer the more steps you take...dont let it scare you once you do one it all comes together and things you read make sence....

toddrod

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 14, 2007
    Vacherie, LA
    For a someone just starting I would recommend getting a basic equipment kit for 50-70 dollars and get a beer kit (extract version) from Midwest supplies, Northern Brewer, Williams, Austin Homebrew. Also get the book titled "How to Brew" by Palmer. If you order from Midwest, they will send you a free DVD that shows you how to make beer and wine. Also, on youtube, do a search for homebrew, and tons of videos come up.

Ales are easiest to start with as you only need to keep the temp around 65 degrees, easy to do with an ice chest and frozen 2 liter jugs.

I would recommend a brown ale (similar to New Castle)to start with as it is pretty forgiving on technique.

Top Bottom