FTF

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • benorth

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 17, 2012
    Baton Rouge, LA
    First, I am relatively new to reloading and have reloaded about 500 rounds. Most being successful, but I am having quite a few FTF. On the majority I can hit the primer a second time and it will fire, however, I am starting to get a little discouraged. I read somewhere that I may be "crushing" the primers? I am wondering if it is a light primer strike from my gun or if I am just putting to much pressure when priming. Any insight on what I can do to adjust it is appreciated. I thought this last batch was getting better, but I still had a few that wouldn't fire initially. Is it just a feel thing? Or is there a set poundage? Initially, I was slamming the ram forward because my primers kept falling out and spilling powder everywhere... (BTW I almost threw my Lee press in the garbage the other night because of this)

beauxdog

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Without seeing the rounds it is hard to tell. If you could bring some by the store and let us look at them it would help. A properly seated primer should be just below the base of the cartridge. You should be able to feel a small amount indentation between the primer and the case. If you can hit the primer twice and make the round fire, that usually indicates a high primer. One that is not seated priperly or all the way flush. When the firing pins hit the primer, it is pusing it forward and seating the primer. That is why it will fire on the second strike. You should not have to slam the handle on your press to seat a primer. Like I said at the beginning, being able to see what you are doing would be helpful as would know what cartridge your trying to load.

With all that being said. Lanny puts on a excellent reloading class for the beginner and it also helps the more experinced reloader as well. The next class is next Saturday and may already be full. If intrestered, call the store at 225-389-6077, to get on the list.

Thanks,

Bryan Guillory
    Louisiana Gun
    12728 Jefferson Hwy.

benorth

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 17, 2012
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Thanks Bryan if I get a chance I will bring a few by. The "slamming" I was referring to was when I first started (don't do that anymore). I was having problems with then seating at all. Thanks again

goosecreeper

not newbie
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Metairie
    what lee press are you using? I use a lee saftey prime on the single stage to prime everything then run it in my progressive I had a similar problem with priming on my loadmaster prior to switching.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Top Bottom