Full Time LEO's thoughts on Reserves

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bama2LA

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 14, 2010
    Denham Springs, LA
    I'm thinking about applying to the LPSO or DSPD Reserve department after my stepdad and I talked for a few hours about his 25 years as a reserve officer in Alabama. I was curious what some of the Full Time LEO's feel about their Reserve corp. Even the reserves on the forum how they enjoy or dislike their position.

I know I missed the cut off this year so I'm thinking about doing a Volunteer FF/1st responder for the time being.

All opinions welcomed!

local2fed

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 26, 2008
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    I'm thinking about applying to the LPSO or DSPD Reserve department after my stepdad and I talked for a few hours about his 25 years as a reserve officer in Alabama. I was curious what some of the Full Time LEO's feel about their Reserve corp. Even the reserves on the forum how they enjoy or dislike their position.

I know I missed the cut off this year so I'm thinking about doing a Volunteer FF/1st responder for the time being.

All opinions welcomed!

Most of the reserve guys I knew had well paying full time jobs that they couldnt leave.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Get with Narco. He was DSPD recerve for a few years.

Unless they are just assholes, most full-time will tell you it depends on the Reserve Officer--just like FT. There are great guys and douchebags in both pay brackets.

It pretty much boils down to how well the administration trains, equips and tasks reserves that determines there overall utility to the department, and thus their worth in the eyes of most FT officers.

The trends I have seen is in departments like I am in, where there is no distinction between most reserves and FT, is that the reserves who perform well are well-respected. I am reserve, and I have never had a problem getting "Respect" or help from FT guys. On the same hand, I handle my own calls, clean up what I dig up, and generally know my **** unless it is something I haven't dealt with before. In fat, I am a resource for gun issues traffic questions with some of the tactical guys and traffic officers.

A lot of reserve guys are retired FT, so they already have the relationship. The bigeest piece of advice I can give you is keep your mouth shut and learn. Even when they are telling you things you already know.

My unt has actually taken over the enforcement and other tasks of the FT unit and they have been downsized since we were covering the needs. They began to be specialized into DUI and fatality teams.

Like anything else, reserves is what you make of it. No matter how good you are, there will be naysayers who trudged along for their 20 years or are still working on them and will talk ****. However, if you do what you are supposed to, most FT guys will be happy to see you, because the reality is, every good guy we can have on the street when the SHTF, is one more in our corner.

Futhermore, I personally find the nature of the work very satisfying. I have done patrol, undercover narcotics, street narcotics, traffic work, motorofficer, and training. It ha been both professionally and personally rewarding to help good people and catch bad ones.

Give t a shot.

Last edited:

Bama2LA

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 14, 2010
    Denham Springs, LA
    That's a great point of view and helpful advise.

I know there's a lot of DB's that think they can do it all and go to do the reserves for the gun and badge. But, I'm trying to walk into this with an open mind and a duty that I can assist my Local LEO's with the time off needed and time to see family while I cover the "grunt" jobs. (I hope that's a good attitude and reason to walk in with)

whitjct

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Nov 3, 2009
    Rhode Island
    If your a good guy and have a good attitude your looked at just like a full timer in my dept.... your doing the same job, your just volunteering. Thumbs if you decide to do it.

gsneff

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Gonzales
    be careful as a reserve, you can fall in love with it and all of a sudden you start thinking about going full time. it's addicting. been doing it for about ten months now and enjoy every minute of it. as nolacopusmc said, keep your mouth shut and absorb everything they tell you. find some good trainers that don't mind working with reserves (there are some guys who don't care for reserves and won't open their minds to it). don't just hang out with your 'buddies' on the road. find the good one and learn. you will take a little from multiple guys and incorporate it into your own style. most of remeber at the end of the night your first goal is to make sure your partner makes it home alive.

Bama2LA

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 14, 2010
    Denham Springs, LA
    (there are some guys who don't care for reserves and won't open their minds to it). most of remeber at the end of the night your first goal is to make sure your partner makes it home alive.

And that's one concern that I have. I know that some might not have open minds about it, but I want to make sure that "my partner" watches my back too reserve or not.

gsneff

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Gonzales
    And that's one concern that I have. I know that some might not have open minds about it, but I want to make sure that "my partner" watches my back too reserve or not.

theres only one guy in our department who doesn't like having reserves around but he will take care of you at the end of the day. i think all would no matter what. remember that they will rush towards the crazy man with a gun to save a stranger, they would do the same for someone they know even more.

mct601

Airborne IV Peddler
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2008
    Hattiesburg
    I'm an idiot, can someone fill me in on the difference between the duties of a reserve vs FT? is a reserve like a military reservist, or more like a PT/PRN guy?

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    I'm an idiot, can someone fill me in on the difference between the duties of a reserve vs FT? is a reserve like a military reservist, or more like a PT/PRN guy?

Volunteer. kinda like a part time police officer. Same powers of arrest in most places, just does not get a check.

kinda like military reserve in a way. Equal but different.

Sometimes also called auxillary officers.

mct601

Airborne IV Peddler
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2008
    Hattiesburg
    Volunteer. kinda like a part time police officer. Same powers of arrest in most places, just does not get a check.

kinda like military reserve in a way. Equal but different.

Sometimes also called auxillary officers.

That's pretty cool actually, wish I had the time to get involved with something like that. Always have respect for people who are willing to volunteer their time to the community or for others.

rebelray84

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 7, 2010
    Amite,LA
    I,and most officers I know,have the utmost respect for reserves and treat them the same as full time.The 3 depts I've been with expect and require their reserves to do the same job as full timers,once they've been trained and gained enough experience on the street to do so.

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    I was BRCP Reserve a long time ago . Most of the full time Officerswere happy to have you out there helping out . There was one Shift Supervisor in particular who would go a little out of his way to show you that he didn't want you around , but some of the older guys would step in and put him in his place . Like said above , keep your mouth shut , learn from the good guys and always watch their back . They'll notice it and respect you for it .

mct601

Airborne IV Peddler
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2008
    Hattiesburg
    What kind of training does reserve go through vs FT? What criteria does one have to meet for reserve? I've been curious of the reserves for a long time, in how they operate, what they are, etc. Thanks for asking my [dumb] questions.

gsneff

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Gonzales
    What kind of training does reserve go through vs FT? What criteria does one have to meet for reserve? I've been curious of the reserves for a long time, in how they operate, what they are, etc. Thanks for asking my [dumb] questions.

varies from place to place. you'll have to be post firearms certified. from there i've heard and seen everything from "hop in the car and learn as you go" to a full academy that you go to one or two days per week for 6-12 months.

Don't Panic
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Apr 9, 2010
    Olla, La

All opinions welcomed!

Same here. Have always wanted to apply, but figured my offshore rotation would rule me out.

Is it possible to work a 14x14 or 28x28 and still work as a reserve officer?

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I wanted to do the EBRSO reserve program, but I can't commit to the academy schedule since it conflicts with my work schedule. It is set up for those with M-F 9-5 jobs. I work shifts, so it rules me out.

The academy runs 6 months, Tues and Thurs night 7-10 and some weekends 8-5.

I would do it in a heartbeat if it would fit my schedule, I would try for full time if I wouldn't have to take a pay cut.

Bama2LA

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 14, 2010
    Denham Springs, LA
    Yeah the schedule and duties work fine for me and I know I'm capable to dot it physically and mentally. Just have to wait till they have another training and application process. But the worse they can say is no. But I'll do the volunteer ff/1st responders for the time being. Hope that will help on the application.

Craig

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 23, 2007
    Denham Springs
    I wanted to do the EBRSO reserve program, but I can't commit to the academy schedule since it conflicts with my work schedule. It is set up for those with M-F 9-5 jobs. I work shifts, so it rules me out.

The academy runs 6 months, Tues and Thurs night 7-10 and some weekends 8-5.

I would do it in a heartbeat if it would fit my schedule, I would try for full time if I wouldn't have to take a pay cut.

Find a person on the other shift willing to swap with you. I asked a co-worker if he would swap days for nights on the evenings with classes. He liked working with the guys on my shift better anyway so he agreed. He swapped with me like that for a long time. I came in early for him often, and treated him and his wife to dinner (gift card). The academy ended towards the beginning of football season. I made sure I swapped with him or came in early so he could watch every single Saint's game (he's a huge fan).

As for the couple of weekends, I was either off, swapped a day or two and vacationed the rest.

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Find a person on the other shift willing to swap with you. I asked a co-worker if he would swap days for nights on the evenings with classes. He liked working with the guys on my shift better anyway so he agreed. He swapped with me like that for a long time. I came in early for him often, and treated him and his wife to dinner (gift card). The academy ended towards the beginning of football season. I made sure I swapped with him or came in early so he could watch every single Saint's game (he's a huge fan).

As for the couple of weekends, I was either off, swapped a day or two and vacationed the rest.

Not that easy, when I am at work I am in charge and there is only one person to switch with.

Top Bottom