G17 Gen2 info request

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • icetraxx

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 30, 2011
    Denham Springs
    I am a SIG person but recently inherited a Gen2 G17 w/lasermax bore sight. and a couple other older S&W revolvers. I was trying to look up information on the gen2 G17's and pretty much all I could find is gen3 plus information. I am looking for reliability issues, parts needing upgraded, worth. Round count is low(looking at the smilies on the barrel) and it has 2 double stacked mags. Debating on keeping it. It is 9mm and I am a 45acp, .40, .357sig, and 10mm person.

Last edited:

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Do you keep all your old vehicles when you purchase new ones?

If you own more than one gun, you know that is not a good analogy. If you own more than one gun, you didn’t get rid of the old gun when you got a new one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Even though they’ve been improved, the Gen 2 G19 is still a reliable and capable gun. If you decide to keep it, I’d replace all of the springs just to be safe.

If you decide to sell, they are somewhat collectible depending on original box and accessories. Do you have any pics?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    It is a Gen 2 17 for sure.

Glock used to offer a service to send in your Gen 2. They would swap out a few parts to update it. IIRC, the service was $100-150ish. If you want to keep it and shoot it, I would contact Glock to see if they still offer the service. Gen 2’s are not very rare unless you have specific models. The 17 isn’t one of those models.

I would send it off to Glock, have it updated, shoot it, and keep it as a conversation piece. It’s not worth a ton, but there are plenty people on this forum who will try to lowball you out of it.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    It is not worth much without all original OEM components including box, paperwork, magazines and internal parts.

icetraxx

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 30, 2011
    Denham Springs
    Dave thanks for the reply. I think the lasermax install swapped out a couple of those parts that are replaced by glock. I installed the lasermax a few years ago but the was never fired just set in a nightstand. I was just trying to get some info on it to see if it is something I want to keep or not. I figured it wasn't worth much. I'm not a glock fan prefer my sigs and I do not have anything else that shoots 9mm. So it would be another caliber I would have to try and find ammo for.. I know all too well how the classifieds work lol.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Actually I do keep some of my vehicles when I buy another one. I have 5 vehicles right now

That is quite common in these parts. I always trade my old vehicles in on new ones.
    I have been doing that almost 60 years to save a little on tax.

Top Bottom