Garlic in cooking - what do you do?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • davidd

Expert in the field of wife avoidance
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I am admittedly a little ignorant on the subject of garlic in cooking, and I am looking for some advice/information/face-slaps/etc. Recent post made me question this.

I love garlic and add it to pretty much everything I cook, either fresh or canned, depending on what I have. For a long time, for pot/dutchoven/ironskillet recipes, I heated oil and browned onions and garlic at the same time, as I had read or been told earlier in life that heating those items on HIGH heat brought out the flavor and was beneficial to cooking. Maillard reaction and all that.

A few years back I had the opportunity to cook with someone at a jambalaya cookoff who dumped a whole can of minced garlic into his pot long after the water had been added. We (he) won second place. What does everyone think of the proper way to prepare/cook with garlic? Does it need to be browned? Do onions (answer here is YES)?

Looking for advice from N4sir. Unless AGruel is on this site.

lonewolf 76

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2024
    Louisiana
    Try this recipe it's our fearless leaders

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240424_210537_Messages.jpg
      Screenshot_20240424_210537_Messages.jpg
      134.4 KB · Views: 21

PhalanX-SS

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 25, 2021
    Folsom, La
    Can't say Ive ever not sautéd the garlic...

Might try incorporating both methods next meal I think it'd go well in, because even when I double or triple the recipe (if I'm following one) never reached that threshold of too much

Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    I put whole pods in the oven and roast them until the garlic is soft & use that in dishes or just eat it straight up. It doesn't hurt to add a few drops of oil, about 350-400f for who knows how long. I don't use oven timers, just my nose

I agree with minced being bitter if over cooked.

We boil them with crawfish too.

sksshooter

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    Walker, LA
    Agree with what others have stated. there seems to be a fine line between just right and over done and bitter.

Also echo what manimal said. Peel the husk off of the whole heads of garlic and throw 6 or so whole heads in the crawfish boil and it is great. i smear it on my potato's like butter. My wife doesn't always appreciate it the next day when the beer and garlic start coming out of my pores though...

davidd

Expert in the field of wife avoidance
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Agree with what others have stated. there seems to be a fine line between just right and over done and bitter.

Also echo what manimal said. Peel the husk off of the whole heads of garlic and throw 6 or so whole heads in the crawfish boil and it is great. i smear it on my potato's like butter. My wife doesn't always appreciate it the next day when the beer and garlic start coming out of my pores though...
    I absolutely adore crawfish boil garlic. To the point where I could ignore vampires for weeks.

Thanks everyone for the responses.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TonyGuillory
    Top Bottom