Gauging interest - magnetic rifle rod storage enhancer

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    I'm sure I can't be the only one to have more guns stuffed into my safe than it was designed to hold. I have reached a point to where my limitation of space is my biggest form of gun control - I cannot buy any more rifles, because I have no where to put them, besides throwing them in my closet, which is obviously not ideal. I will likely end up buying an additional safe at some point, dedicated to mostly ammo but, for now, I am more interested in upping the capacity of my current safe via organization, which I have achieved.
    There is already a similar product on the market, and I had considered using this product, but I could not bring myself to spend ~$75+ on flimsy plastic rods and some velcro. So, I made my own, much nicer, improved version. Instead of plastic and Velcro, I used aluminum rods, magnets, and a sheet metal liner under the shelf. While I have no experience with the plastic / velcro rifle rods, I cannot imagine that it would work nearly as well as the aluminum / magnetic, and definitely wouldn't come close to being as aesthetically appealing. The only downside would be price, as mine would have to cost more, obviously.
    I have a 24 gun safe, designed to hold 12 long guns on each side. Before now, fitting 12 long guns in one side was not ideal, I did it, (13 actually, with a folded underfolder sitting on the rests) but, some of them were bumping shoulders, or even leaning on one another, particularly the ones in the back. Now, I can fit all 13 comfortably, with none touching.
    My vertical divider has no carpet on the top edge, underneath the rifle rests, so I decided to leave the rests until I make a cap for the divider or otherwise figure out if I want to modify the divider, add more shelves, ect. Once I get the rests out of there, I will have additional capacity of at least 3, possibly up to 6. Optics and pistol grips greatly hinder the ability to add capacity.
    All in all, I am very pleased with the setup. It is not complete, though, as I intend to coat the rods with something, maybe plastidip or something similar. I also intend to put a cushion / stop on the rods, according to each individual gun, to prevent any slamming into the bolt face. I have to add a rubber / foam trim around the shotgun cutout in the sheet metal as well.

All that said, I'm wondering if this is something that anyone else would be interested in, or would you prefer to save the extra $ and use the already existing, cheaper product, or would you go a different route entirely?

I have not fully considered pricing, as I don't want to go there until I know there is enough interest, or if this would even be feasible. The sheet metal is the biggest hurdle. The current design would require exact shelf dimensions for each kit, and I know that not everyone is very good with a tape. I may would have to consider another design in order to be more user friendly in case of measuring inaccuracies. The current design cups the whole shelf, covering 1/2" all the way around, attached with 1 screw in each corner, but I could possibly just use a flat piece.

472c7ba05cd233c1fa038f38c17aa813.jpg
    f8324c5ba947f6b63007daee07f73732.jpg

Mitch Dufour

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Ruston
    I have the plastic rods / Velcro system and it is a good system, but not ideal. Some long guns can require two rods. I have often thought I could make them better using wood dowels, but never considered aluminum. How did you join the magnets to the rods?

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    I have the plastic rods / Velcro system and it is a good system, but not ideal. Some long guns can require two rods. I have often thought I could make them better using wood dowels, but never considered aluminum. How did you join the magnets to the rods?
    I threaded the end of the rods, and the magnets are female threaded. The little plastic piece between the magnet and the rod was supposed to act as a buffer between the magnet and the muzzle, but they ended up being a lot more narrow than anticipated. I'll have to use something else for that, further down the rod.

I thought about using wood, but I liked the idea of aluminum a little more. These are pretty sturdy, and there is no flex at the top, as I would assume you'd get from velcro. I couldn't imagine a case where 2 rods would be necessary. They also should fit down to .17 caliber.

Top Bottom