GEICO car insurance?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • critta

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    Metairie
    Anyone have GEICO car insurance? My wife and I currently have State Farm with100/300/100 coverage on a 2014 Honda Odyssey and a 2010 Nissan Altima. No accident and no citations in the last 5 years. The van insurance is $745/6 months and the car has just gone up to $868/6 months. Everyone I called GEICO, Farmers, Progressive, Liberty Mutual can all get me cheaper car insurance.

GEICO though has the best rates. I can insure BOTH cars with same amount of coverage I have now for $758. I was just wondering if anyone has them and if they suck when it comes to claims. I've had State Farm for over 10 years and have never made a claim. I'd hate to switch but I can't see paying $1700 more a year just to be with Stare Farm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

1911Dave

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Mandeville
    Geico has been great for us. We switched from State Farm to them a few years back. Saved a lot of money and they have paid out for us very well with zero issues.

mike84z28

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Kenner
    Car insurance companies all do the same end around. Raise your rates every year or two once they have you for 10 years your paying too much. I had Gieco for some time and they were fine with claims although I only made one. I have had State Farm for 7 yeras and its time to shop again.

1911Dave

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Mandeville
    Take your quote from Geico to State Farm and demand they match it. You never know....works with DirecTV.

We tried that. They could care less so we switched. Both had great records. They just didnt care and wouldnt come off our rates a bit. Went from 220/mo for both new cars to 130/mo for both cars with much better coverage.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I've been with Geico for the past 4-5 years. My rate has gone up $25 in those years; Nothing to cry about. They haven't given me any trouble and the rate isn't bad at all. I've been in one accident since buying my truck in 2007; A guy ran into the back of me while I was waiting at a red light in Ponchatoula. He just neglected to stop and when he finally tried, the wet street didn't help. Geico did all the work dealing with his Insurer.

critta

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    Metairie
    So I called State Farm to see what they'd say. Nothing they can do about the insurance prices. I have all the discounts I can get.
    I'm gonna drop my car and at least and see how GEICO is. If they're OK when it comes time to renew through them I'll switch the van too. The car would be $409 vs State Farm's price of $868. The State Farm agent said GEICOs prices couldn't be right she said it had to be for different coverage. I said nope - same coverage only difference is I'd have a $250 deductible with GEICO rather than the $500 I have with State Farm now.

1911Dave

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Mandeville
    The State Farm agent said GEICOs prices couldn't be right she said it had to be for different coverage. I said nope - same coverage only difference is I'd have a $250 deductible with GEICO rather than the $500 I have with State Farm now.

Sounds about what I would expect them to say. You should have said your right, its for better coverage.

CatCam

Ready, Shoot, Aim!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    USAA is awesome

It really used to be good -- until they opened the flood gates and let everyone whose brothers step-uncle who thought about joining the peace-corps get in.
    It used to be one of the few perks a military officer could get........
    Don't take this the wrong way, but when they opened the flood gates their liability as a company went up -- to cover this our rates went up big time. It used to be a low risk pool, not so much now......
    And don't even get me started about USAA's homeowner policy rates. Seems they followed the lead of Allstate and State farm in the coastal areas......

MTregre

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 11, 2013
    St. Charles Parish
    I was with SF for right at 10years. I switch to Geico about 7 months ago, saved nearly 200 per month for the same coverage while adding roadside assistance for my wife. Then after my first 6 months, the rate dropped another 25 a month. Im paying 225 a month for a 09' 370Z and a 13' Ford Escape full coverage as they both have loans

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    I just had a vehicle get hit by someone with Geico. They were good to deal with. I was pretty impressed with everything from initial contact to sign off on accepting my vehicle back.

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    I have always had State Farm and probably always will. Their customer service is on point. Unfortunately I've had a lot of experience with other insurance companies.

Liberty Mutual tried to blame an accident on me after their driver ran a stop sign and totaled my car. The intersection is supposedly "dangerous" and I was being told I was partially at fault because I didn't slow down below the posted speed limit. Whatever.

USAA gave me the run around after their (.262 intoxicated) driver hit my parked car. Took what seemed like months to finalize everything and I think I still have to go to court for that. They also told me I could only have a rental for x-days when the repairs would take double that time.

USAgencies gave me the run around after their driver hit the car behind me at a stop sign, pushing them into me. I then learned that their driver never reported the incident and after trying to contact the at fault driver, the insurance company said screw it and just fixed everything. So I guess they weren't as terrible. Just took a while.

Finally, had a GEICO person hit my car in a parking lot who then left. They left and I got the property owner to pull security footage. We only told the insurance company we had the footage after they refused to even look at the claim. Needless to say the footage helped move things along.

I think that's it. My poor lil car has certainly had a bout of experience in its less than two years with me. In the first accident, State Farm called to check on things every other day. It was definitely nice. They also put pressure on the other insurance companies giving me the run around which helped speed things along.

Last edited:

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    This is more appropriate for homeowners but the message applies: No one stands in front their house watching it burn and waiting for the fire department and says 'I wish my rates were cheaper'. Its about coverage. You can lay two declarations pages from different companies side by side and see the same coverage limits but that doesn't tell the whole story. There are clauses in the policies that are very different.
    Think about the differences in advertising. Geico and Progressive scream repeatedly that price is the only thing that matters. Farmers points out coverage differences. State Farm and Allstate stress service and reliability. Which is going to be the better choice if you have a claim? You just T-boned a family of four, and they're still in the car bleeding... who do you want protecting you? The lowest bidder?
    What about covering your car. Before you select an insurance company drop in on your favorite body shop. Go ask them who you should go with. They know who handles repairs better. Who fights you on supplemental checks (things missed on the original estimate) and who tells them to just handle it. Who low balls estimates.

I could go on (importance of having an agent, how different companies pay out on total losses, etc) but... Think about it. Premium becomes unimportant after a claim, and that's why you have insurance.

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    I have had Gieco for 8 years, and I personally have had some claims, Gustav totaled my f250 sd, they paid on the spot. The wife rear ended someone, they paid and were great to handle..
    I just looked into coverage for a newer truck, and state farm cut my rates in half.. when the purchase is finalized, I am switching..
    gieco did what they were supposed to do, I am paying for it though , it seems.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    It really used to be good -- until they opened the flood gates and let everyone whose brothers step-uncle who thought about joining the peace-corps get in.
    It used to be one of the few perks a military officer could get........
    Don't take this the wrong way, but when they opened the flood gates their liability as a company went up -- to cover this our rates went up big time. It used to be a low risk pool, not so much now......
    And don't even get me started about USAA's homeowner policy rates. Seems they followed the lead of Allstate and State farm in the coastal areas......

I agree with the history, but disagree with the rates. No one has been able to touch USAA for my homeowners or vehicle policies - not even close. Note that if you hold 3-6 accounts you get X% off for bundling (most companies do this now), but with USAA if you hold 7 or more you get XX% per policy.

Roth IRA, CD, homeowners, vehicle, life, checking, savings, etc. My current list fetches me rates of $712/6mos with fantastic coverage- 2 drivers, 4 vehicles- 2 of which are newer than 2013.

I_FLY_LOW

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 15, 2007
    Gonzales
    Geico here.
    Had Geico for a long time before I moved to BR.
    Got a quote one day from a certain State Farm agent, (Try several agents, and you WILL wind up with several different quotes. Try it, if you don't believe me) and it was a bit lower than Geico, at the time, so I went with them and used the difference, to get renters insurance.
    The time came to buy a house, and asked for a quote for all my goodies, and a new homeowner's insurance policy.
    After being the lowest quote, they suddenly became the highest homeowners quote (Literally 3 times higher than any other company's quote) out of all the other agencies, and other State Farm agents.
    Back to Geico I went, for my home, bikes, and auto.
    Still with them today.
    Just did some policy maintenance, recently, to bring down the policies' total cost.
    They (like all the others) creep up a little bit every year, and you have to be vigilant in keeping an eye out for their increases to keep them reigned in.
    I've had one claim they've paid out on, and have been ok about it, so far.

Last edited:

pete70056

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 16, 2012
    Gretna, La
    I've been in the car business for just over 30 years. I asked the body shop manager at the first dealership I worked at, who was the best at paying claims. State Farm.
    That has not changed in that timeframe. I know cheaper is out there. At 21, I needed cheaper. At this stage of my life, that is not number one. I've basically never made an automotive claim on my vehicles, but have handled thousands for clients. Still rock solid. My only real claim was home damage due to Katrina and a hail storm 3 years ago. I might even say I did not lose on those two claims, including deductible. I am with RedStickChick once again.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SSWEEEE
    Top Bottom