Genuine Black Powder

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tallwalker

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Covington, LA
    Does anyone on the board load black powder cartridges? I don't mean Pyrodex or 777 but real BP like Swiss, KKK, or Elephant. I think I have lost my mind, but thinking about 45-70 with cast lead and BP long range. Like I don't shoot bad enough already.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    My Dad still loads black powder in 45-70 and 12 bore. Still molds his own bullets too. We make black powder about a pound at a time out behind his shop with pharmaceutical grade potassium nitrite (salt peter) charcoal powder, sulfur and 99% isopropyl alcohol for drying the slurry before the final drying. This time of year is not the best time though because it needs to dry fast. If you cook your own powder, there are definitely varying degrees of brisance, depending on your cooking success and components, as well as age and how the powder is stored, how old it is, etc., so your loads can and will vary. If you're planning on buying the powder, maybe try starting with something milder, like Fg so you don't have to worry about pressures or blowing up your gun. And make sure you use a filler on top of your powder charge before you start the bullet. Pack it up tight with no empty space in the cartridge. PM me if you have any questions.
    I'm assuming you need load info.

Last edited:

4thMiss

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2014
    Port Allen, La.
    I use Goex FFg I think its the only true black powder made in America. Use it in my muzzleloader 12 gauge and 58 cal rifle. Also load 45-70 and its a hoot to shoot. The cases on my 45-70 are full with 70gr FFg so no need for a filler.

tallwalker

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Covington, LA
    I have been loading smokeless for the Sharps rifle I have and always wondered what going the BP route would be like so getting the itch to give it a try. Nothing much seems very available locally and i haven't seen much about it on the board. In fact I thought Goex was defunct. Going to have to make some smoke soon I guess.

dougstump

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    x
    I use 777 in the Martini Henry cause I can get it. I haven't seen real black powder locally for at least a decade.

ebert

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 18, 2013
    I have a Shiloh 45/70 I cast and load for, I also shoot paper patch boolits. black is the only powder I would shoot

The_Shadow

The Shadow Knows!
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 24, 2010
    Southeast, LA
    Goex use to be made right here in Louisiana, but I haven't found real black in years on the SouthEast side of the state... :(
    Here is an old address I had on file...they only show e-mail link these days! :(
    GOEX, Inc.
    c/o Black Powder Campaign
    P.O. Box 659 Doyline, LA 71023-0659

tallwalker

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Covington, LA
    Great info! I am glad to know it isn't quite as much of the lost art I thought it was. Seems in some parts of the country there are silhouette black powder matches that look like a hoo,t but not around here so was wondering. Maybe I will just get started and you guys can tell me what I am doing wrong. So much history there would be a shame not to know something about it.

Cleburne

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    May 31, 2008
    Thibodaux
    I loaded black powder exclusively for cowboy action shooting for several years, i.e .45 Colt for rifle and sixguns, as well as 12 gauge shotshells. Also shoot flintlock and caplock rifles, a double barrel 12 gauge frontstuffer and a couple cap & ball revolvers. I've used Elephant in the past and would continue to do so for the economy, but think their factory has closed down. I shoot Goex now, both FFg and FFFg, depending on the caliber.

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    I just picked up three pounds of granulated sulfur, and a couple of pounds of 'stump rot'. I need to make a ball mill, then I'll try my hand at producing my own BP.

tallwalker

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Covington, LA
    Looks like Goex is in fact the easiest route if I can find some. Don't quite have the guts to make my own quite yet! Stump rot! Looks like all I really need is powder and a few 500gr cast bullets with some lube. Any of you guys ever get together and shoot anywhere? Aside from the locals calling the fire department bet it would be a lot of fun.

dougstump

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    x
    I just picked up three pounds of granulated sulfur, and a couple of pounds of 'stump rot'. I need to make a ball mill, then I'll try my hand at producing my own BP.

Please don't try that. Way back in High School a good friend of mine blew himself and his garage up trying to make BP. They didn’t hardly find enough of him to bury.

4thMiss

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2014
    Port Allen, La.
    Civil War reenactors seem to have a supply source for black powder. The last musket caps I bought were from a suttler at the Port Hudson reenactment last year. I can always find percussian caps for my shotgun and pistol but musket caps can be rare, never looked for powder but I'm sure if they sell firearms and musket caps they are a source for blackpowder. Only problem with ordering it is the hazmat fee.

falshooter

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 5, 2013
    Ponchatoula/Hammond
    http://www.schuetzenpowder.com/index.php

http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/category/categoryId/3501
    I bought from Grafs lately. Grafs store brand is made by Schuetzen.

This is also a good dealer out there. Good pricing with shipping/hazmat on bulk orders
    http://addictedtoblackpowder.com/2.html

I've also dealt with this distributor. http://www.powderinc.com/.
    Good pricing with hazmat on bulk orders.

Just remember there is a weight limit that you can legally store in your house. 5 lbs . Anything more then that has to be in an approved storage magazine [ Not in your residence ]

Last edited:

4thMiss

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2014
    Port Allen, La.
    Prior to primitive hunting season allowing "older" cartridge weapons such as 45/70 and 35 Whelen you could find black powder everywhere, then the market changed, Plenty of deals on muzzleloading Hawken rifles and such, even the crack barrel and bolt guns that use shotgun primers and powder pellets have dropped in use and value.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom