george zimmerman and louisiana law(immune from civil suits)

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • diat150

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 27, 2008
    opelousas
    Just wondering how this would play out in Louisiana (I think florida is the same to be honest). Would zimmerman be immune from civil suit if he is found not guilty?

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    The internet lawyer in me says I believe that only applies when in your home or vehicle. I have no basis to back this up, and I don't feel like looking up the laws. Take that for what it's worth.
    lol but you still felt like commenting.

Justifiable Homicide:
    http://www.legis.state.la.us/lss/lss.asp?doc=78338

Civil action immunity:
    http://www.legis.state.la.us/lss/lss.asp?doc=408383

What I'm curious about is if there is a difference between "justifiable homicide" and simply not charging the shooter. Or does the act of not being charged with the homicide of another mean it was justified, and the immunity is then implied? /shrug

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Something else to consider is that a whole lot more Civil Suits are FILED, than those that actually get anywhere int he court system.

Hell sometimes the mere FILING of a Suit get's in the news. The result? not so much.

geoney

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 1, 2011
    Lake Charles
    The internet lawyer in me says I believe that only applies when in your home or vehicle. I have no basis to back this up, and I don't feel like looking up the laws. Take that for what it's worth.

There is a difference between Castle Doctrine and Stand Your Ground.

In LA, even though many people call it Castle Doctrine, what we have is Stand Your Ground based on the way the law is written.

The main difference is that in CD, it only applies to your home/business, where SYG applies any place you have a legal right to be.

This is the way it was explained to me, but I could be wrong.

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    That's why I wished people would stop reducing legislation to these cherry picked handly little "terms" that make people deduce untrue things from.

Seriously, it's a law about LIFE OR DEATH and people can't be bothered to read a few sentences, and want a simple few words that they can just /assume/ everything they want about it.

It's not "Stand your ground" it's not "your castle" it's just the codified law to protect you and yours. Every state is different.

45auto

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 12, 2007
    Slidell, LA
    jnieman said:
    It's not "Stand your ground" it's not "your castle" it's just the codified law to protect you and yours.

Ok, if it's not "Stand your Ground" then why does it say that in the law?

RS 14:20 — Justifiable homicide

A.
    B.
    C. A person who is not engaged in unlawful activity and who is in a place where he or she has a right to be shall have no duty to retreat before using deadly force as provided for in this Section, and may stand his or her ground and meet force with force.

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    I didn't say it doesn't permit you to "stand your ground" - I said that trying to purport that 3 simple words sums up the entirety of the law is foolish.

diat150

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 27, 2008
    opelousas
    so does anyone have an actual opinion about whether the civil immunity would apply in this case instead of splitting hairs on the "name" of the law?

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Here is a fun fact: ANYONE can file a suit against anyone for anything. The initial process is non-eventful and simple. You can find a scumbag lawyer to sue ANYONE if they have an inclination or profit motive to do so.

One of the largest problems with all of this litigious BS, is the plaintiff holds all the cards! When you are named the Defendant, you can expect to pay SOMETHING. Hiring a lawyer, answer to suit, etc.; will cost you.

We would all pay a lot less in our everyday lives if we had a loser pays policy regarding lawsuits in this country.

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    Part of Louisiana's civil immunity from cases involving a justified homicide include the compensation of court costs and lawyer fees and what not for the defense.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Part of Louisiana's civil immunity from cases involving a justified homicide include the compensation of court costs and lawyer fees and what not for the defense.

Wouldn't have thought we had politicians with enough insight to cover that; and did not know that.

Good point!

Thank ..........Heaven; God; A Politician with Guidance and Morals?

geoney

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 1, 2011
    Lake Charles
    Here is a fun fact: ANYONE can file a suit against anyone for anything. The initial process is non-eventful and simple. You can find a scumbag lawyer to sue ANYONE if they have an inclination or profit motive to do so.

One of the largest problems with all of this litigious BS, is the plaintiff holds all the cards! When you are named the Defendant, you can expect to pay SOMETHING. Hiring a lawyer, answer to suit, etc.; will cost you.

We would all pay a lot less in our everyday lives if we had a loser pays policy regarding lawsuits in this country.

Negative, as that would still not account for the innate corruptness of the system ingeneral.

It would help some, but then the corporations could still continue to pay off the courts and the actual victim is then victimized twice when they have to pay for a just lawsuit.

That said, I have no better solution for a still broken system.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jamesernestomurray
    Top Bottom