Georgia v Iraq

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • penguin

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Slidell, LA / NOLA
    Now, I haven't really formed a strong opinion on what's going on. I'd like to hear what others have to think. Breaking it down to pretty basic issues:

Went to war to stop the spread of terrorism:
    Iraq
    Georgia

Presented regime change by way of force:
    Iraq
    Georgia

Many larger nations condemn the action:
    Iraq
    Georgia

Now, the thing is that I don't totally disagree with what is going on in Georgia right now, nor do I think that regime change in Iraq was a bad thing (I think we need to be out now-but that's a different subject). They are both having problems with Muslim fundementalists and Russia is being both pro-active and defense as the Georgian gov't can't keep the crazies from doing cross border actions. It would be akin to the US doing defensive strikes against cartels in Mexico that attack the US. I'd agree to that without a doubt (if Mexico fails to do anything).

penguin

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Slidell, LA / NOLA
    Well, it is a new spate of Muslim factions fighting, but these have been fighting Russia for a while with no effect to our fuel. The country doesn't impede shipping so no effect there. So overall, I think it will have a negligible effect. On the broader scope I think it will effect our stance with Russia as they are move more and more away from democracy.

Bayoupiper

New Curmudgeon
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Iowa, LA
    Bottom line, its MUSLIMS stirring up **** just for the sake of their quest for world dominion.

Its a bit poetic and humorous, if you look at it from this angle; before the original Soviet marxist government fell, they fomented and supported stuff EXACTLY like this all over the world. Now, the NEW marxist government is having to fight it on the home front. I got a good laugh out the French Foreign Minister making his grand exit from his plane and spouting his ********. He'll probably advise the Russians to surrender. And he should be careful. The Russians admire fighters, which means they have NO use for the French.

The only reason we're not having the same problem here in the US is because our northern neighbor is relatively benign, and the whackos who reside to our south don't have the organizational skills- or the unity- to pull it off. But stand by...

I have been involved with training various eastern european types. Those are some seriously hard-core folks. Watch for a protracted, bloody conflict, if the "rebels" have any sort of supply/support. The only way to completely crush this sort of "uprising" is via wholesale genocide; and sometimes even that doesn't work, as the Germans discovered the hard way in 1943.

Anyboy who doesn't think that the islamic religion is the greatest threat to our world needs a reality check, pronto.

And isn't it interesting where they chose to build their new mosque in Baton Rouge......

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Ossetians want to seperate from Georgia. This is more like us backing PRC vs China, except with shooting. Or maybe like the USSR backing the Basque 20 years ago.
    The timing is interesting though. We ended a joint exercise w/ Georgia just a few weeks ago. We had troops in that airport about a month ago. Imagine if they had bombed that airport while we were still there.

swamper

Curmudgeon in Training
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 30, 2008
    Pineville
    LSP972 said:
    Anyboy who doesn't think that the islamic religion is the greatest threat to our world needs a reality check, pronto.

This kinda puts the Islamic "tactic" into perspective. It can be seen happening in many places.

One of the greatest tricks of “playing the system” in the post-1948 world is an improvement on the time-honored practice of creating a plurality of one ethnic group in a territory where few if any of that group existed over a longer period of history. With sufficient migration over time of a group that also does not integrate into the culture of the extant society in a territory, with demographic advantages such as a higher birth-rate than the locals in many cases, and with the cover of some larger event like warfare denuding the land of a portion of the local population, it is far too easy for the “new” group to claim that they are *now* the legitimate populace of the territory. One needs look no further than Kosovo to have seen such a thing in action.

http://competinghypotheses.blogspot.com/2008/08/weekly-n-for-august-4th-2008.html

Top Bottom