Getting started in archery - need advice

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cbr900son

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    broussard la
    So a guy I know who ordered a knife from me is big into archerty and bow hunting. Ever since talking with him Ive been throwing the idea out about picking up a bo and do some shooting for fun. I was wondering what would be a good budget startup bow. Any suggestions?

robinfly

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 3, 2012
    Ponchatoula, La
    You're probably going to get a lot of brand loyal reply's about what set up you should get. Assuming you are talking about compound bows. Any of the major bow company's have top notch bows. A lot has to do with how the bow feels in your hand and what fits you. There is a lot more to shooting a bow then just picking one up and flinging some arrows, mainly the safety aspects which is a must learn.
    I would suggest registering at Archerytalk, great forum, and will have all the answers you need. I learned everything about bows and bow hunting from that site. They also have a great classified section with great prices on just about any brand and any setup. I bought 4 bows from there.

Good luck

Last edited:

CrkdLtr

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    No brand loyalty here. I'll give you the information that I know of. I may not be able to explain "why" but I do know what works for me. It's best you go to an archery shop, Spillway Sportsman, Bowie Outfitters, Cabelas or Bass Pro, and "test drive" their bows. You want a bow that has a tall brace height. 7"+ if you are a novice. Brace height is the distance from the riser to the string. The longer the brace height the more "forgiveness" the bow will have when shooting. The shorter the brace height the farther the string has to travel to launch the arrow and any movement of the bow during that travel will reflect on the arrow's travel to the target. Look for how the bow sits in the cup of your hand. You will not be holding the bow with all your digits when firing so you want it to fit in that "cup" between your index finger and your thumb. You want the bow to either be vertically balanced or have a slight forward roll while in the cup of your hand. Any roll backwards will have to be corrected with heavy or long stabilizers.

cbr900son

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    broussard la
    Yeah was kinda thinking Ill just have to go try some for myself. Im not sure If i want a compound or old school recurve as this is for fun and not hunting and Ive always kinda enjoyed the thought about a recurve.

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    Yeah was kinda thinking Ill just have to go try some for myself. Im not sure If i want a compound or old school recurve as this is for fun and not hunting and Ive always kinda enjoyed the thought about a recurve.

I think I'm going to make the switch to recurve myself. I been shooting a compound for many years. I don't have a love for archery, I use it to extend my hunting season and that's it. But I have come to despise compund bows. There is more chit attatched and bolted to them than the most tacticool AR in existence. I just don't like them. So I told myself I'm either gonna get the baddest crossbow made or I'm going real old school. And I think I'm gonna go old school. So atleast if I do get a deer with it I can be proud. Or maybe I'll get a spear, I don't know...I'm over the compund bow thing though

cbr900son

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    broussard la
    I think I'm going to make the switch to recurve myself. I been shooting a compound for many years. I don't have a love for archery, I use it to extend my hunting season and that's it. But I have come to despise compund bows. There is more chit attatched and bolted to them than the most tacticool AR in existence. I just don't like them. So I told myself I'm either gonna get the baddest crossbow made or I'm going real old school. And I think I'm gonna go old school. So atleast if I do get a deer with it I can be proud. Or maybe I'll get a spear, I don't know...I'm over the compund bow thing though
    Yeah I seem to enjoy simplicity sometimes. For some fun target shooting I figure it would cost less and let me just enjoy shooting vs setting up and tinkering with a compound. I could be wrong guess Ill have to find a local bow shop or local bow fanatic to teach me some things.

Young_Gun

Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    May 7, 2010
    Baton Rouge,LA
    i would do what CrkdLtr, said. Also from personal experience, i did a lot of research and figured out that i wanted a bowtech. I bought it second hand which saved me a lot of money. If you end up not liking the sport, you will end up taking a huge loss in your investment because new technology comes out every year and bows depreciate quick. Also shoot your friends' bows to see if you like them.
    Good luck with your search.

tallwalker

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Covington, LA
    I am always amazed at the good advice around here, any subject, any time. I started with a longbow years back, then got a recurve, then was out of it for a long time. Recently got the bug again and got a good compound. I am jealous of you guys that can buy used or off the shelf and have lots of choices. I'm 6'9" and have a 33" draw so I'm kinda limited. Go to a REAL bow shop and get started with people that know what they are doing help you get started. You'll never regret it. The big box places are great IF you know exactly what you want, but if you have any questions or need help the blank stares make me a little uncomfortable. :) get something that feels good to shoot, simple single pin sight, maybe a whisker biscuit, match your arrows to your bow and length, and shoot alot. Remember that it only takes 30-35 lbs to kill a deer, so get something you can pull comfortably and is smooth and QUIET shooting. I see bows that sound like clapping 2x4's. Archery is all about consistency and reflex. Especially when up close and personal with that deer... Thinking goes right out the window!

Last edited:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region

Why wouldn't you just take some of that crap off of your bow?

And for those that REALLY want to explore the recurve tradition, I know two guys that are into it quite heavily (they make their own arrows from scratch; into it), they would probably be willing to share some insight.

Miltonite

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2008
    Lafayette
    GO to Bayou Land Bow Hunters on Ridge road in Duson. They helped me when I wanted a compound bow and when I wanted a recurve. They have used bows for sale and for pretty good prices. They are super nice and can get you everything to get started. They also have an indoor archery range and will show you the basics if you ask them.

cbr900son

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    broussard la
    GO to Bayou Land Bow Hunters on Ridge road in Duson. They helped me when I wanted a compound bow and when I wanted a recurve. They have used bows for sale and for pretty good prices. They are super nice and can get you everything to get started. They also have an indoor archery range and will show you the basics if you ask them.
    Sounds perfect!

Log Island

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    Lafayette

Brandon and his employees are good. He won't sell you something that you won't need, nor take advantage of your inexperience. The worse thing you could do is buy some bow off a guy and start shooting in your back yard with it. You really need to get fitted for the bow, or you won't have a good outcome.
    Also, don't get caught up in the hype of heavy draw lbs/arrow speed. Tune your bow down, work on good form, and all will be good. Archery, like golf, is all about repetition; doing the same correct body movement, time an time again.
    My .02

cbr900son

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    broussard la
    Well I went to Bayou land and the service was excellent!! Didnt buy anything but told them I was looking to start shooting and he let me shoot I believe a bowtech assasin with a 40 lb draw and explained a few things and parts to me to demystify the whole thing. Guy was super nice! Gonna think about it and look at use bows etc but who knows. I definetly enjoyed the few shots I did.

cbr900son

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    broussard la
    Well seems like Ive spent most of the past few days researching bows and what to get. LOL Guess ill make some more knives to sell to get me a bow!

Scottr88

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 9, 2009
    Gonzales
    My advice,try out some bows before making the choice,if you want to meet some good guys that are into both traditional archery and modern compound,join the Bayou Bucks website,and start asking around.There are some really good guys that love to shoot in your area.We have a traditional archery club here in Baton Rouge named ARTAC,great group of people that will help you along the way.Pm me if you would like some contact names of folks in your area that would be willing to help you out.Take care.

NolaRifleman

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 23, 2011
    Metairie, LA
    I am always amazed at the good advice around here, any subject, any time. I started with a longbow years back, then got a recurve, then was out of it for a long time. Recently got the bug again and got a good compound. I am jealous of you guys that can buy used or off the shelf and have lots of choices. I'm 6'9" and have a 33" draw so I'm kinda limited. Go to a REAL bow shop and get started with people that know what they are doing help you get started. You'll never regret it. The big box places are great IF you know exactly what you want, but if you have any questions or need help the blank stares make me a little uncomfortable. :) get something that feels good to shoot, simple single pin sight, maybe a whisker biscuit, match your arrows to your bow and length, and shoot alot. Remember that it only takes 30-35 lbs to kill a deer, so get something you can pull comfortably and is smooth and QUIET shooting. I see bows that sound like clapping 2x4's. Archery is all about consistency and reflex. Especially when up close and personal with that deer... Thinking goes right out the window!

Yep... go to a bow shop thats been in the game a while. I recently went to a shop that was the only local shop that sold the brand I wanted,bought the bow I wanted and started picking accessories. I'm left-handed. The "bow technician" said he had never worked on a left-handed bow before right before becoming frustrated. So I took the bow to another shop that I had good experience with before - and they could work on a crazy left-handed bow.

Top Bottom