GF1 and GF2 From Advantage

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fred_G

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    West Monroe
    Resting up from the drive back from Hammond. Took GF1 a while back, did GF2 today. Lots of fun, lots of learning. Very fast paced classes, you won't get bored. Great facility, top notch instructors, and safety is stressed and taken care of.

I have taken about 5 classes from another instructor that teaches things a little different, so I have developed some habits that did not fit in perfectly. Instructors were very approachable and helpful. No 'boot camp' or 'my way or the highway' bs.

What I look for in a class:

Safety. No concerns there, they run a safe range. If you don't have safety, I don't care how nice it is, I am not going to go/stay.

Instructors that will work with you, so you learn, not try to jam stuff into you. They got this down.

Cost. I think it is priced very well, for what you get.

It is only 3.5 hours or so from northeast Louisiana, so you guys down south would have a short drive. If you are thinking about some training, I give these folks 2 thumbs up.

Well, there is my training 'review'. Hope you all had a great weekend.

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    I'll jump in here too if the OP doesn't mind.
    I took Shotgun 1 and GF 2 this weekend.
    Shotgun was a very small class which was awesome but somewhat concerning. Awesome because we got to roll at the pace of a small group and see many things that were eye opening. The extra step of processing commands and numerous reloads under stress and time pressed upon us. I learned more about my equipment that day than I have in the past 5 years.
    I just hope there is not a lack of interest here because owning a shotgun in Louisiana is a rite of passage. It doesn't have to be the latest competition model out there I took the class with a 870 and an auto duck gun. You will learn plenty even if you have hunted with said shotgun all your life.

( I'll never understand why that one guy can't stand shotguns )

GF2 was a large class but was very well planned and the instructor still gave us all personal attention and instruction when necessary or when asked. We had the opportunity to shoot in positions and around obstacles in a controlled environment that most can't get elsewhere.

In both classes peer pressure and time added stress and a sense of urgency but WAS NOT a pecker measuring contest. We did have a lot of fun and did bust balls a little, but there was even more encouragement offered. Safety was constantly placed first and foremost and no issues were presented.

On a side note I'm keeping my fingers crossed for ECQC next February!

Last edited:

JCcypress

Gun Trust Lawyer
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Yep. Had a really good time out there yesterday (Gunfighter 2). Saw some familiar, friendly faces and got to meet some nice, new folks, too.

We had a different instructor than usual who taught some new techniques and mixed things up a bit. It's cool to be able to enroll in a class that I've previously attended and learn new skill sets from a different, but very accomplished instructor. The range was kept safe and the class had a good pace to it.

Slalom.45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    +1 on what has been said so far. I do feel that the pace and progression from GF1 to GF2 was good. We hit the basics a bit, but pushed into new areas enough to well challenge a newbie like me.

I would like to stress that there was great professionalism, but with no "attitude" about things. Safety was first, but if the instructor felt that you needed to "step on the gas" to push yourself they did it. All of that with more individual instruction than I would have expected out of a class that size. (Full disclosure. I have not been to any other classes as yet)

If you are on the fence, go to one of the Advantage classes. I plan to hit the other disciplines they offer over the next year as time allows.

Fred_G

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    West Monroe
    I wish I had known you guys form the BS forums were there. Nice to put a face on a screen name.

Have been thinking about taking a shotgun and or carbine class.

cajunhunter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2015
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    I took the Shotgun and the GF2 course as well over the weekend. I learned a ton and created a solid platform to build from, which was my exact goals of the course. I really enjoyed all of the instructors and the facility, not to mention the other students were all great as well and helpful. Both courses were great but I did really enjoy the shotgun course because of the size of the class and I guess I like shooting my shotgun! I am looking forward to shooting it even more now that I had the course and got a few items to speed up my loads! Great stuff! Got some more steel on order for my personal range as well.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    RedactedUsername
    Top Bottom