Glock 17 or 19

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kpm

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    Prairieville, LA
    pain man, I just sold my 17 and bought a 19. I am also ordering a "magazine sleeve" and purchased a 17 mag from Latour. You can get the 17 grip length with the short bbl. It allows you to have the best of both worlds- short or add to it.

Ah, you can even add a 33 rounder if you really need to add some grip. Latour has those as well!

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    Thanks to Richard I was able to handle and shoot each. Both are nice pistols but the 17 fits my hand the best. The balance of the 17 just felt better to me. It will be a range pistol so concealability is not an issue. I want to thank all for their input.

Charles

TDH

FFL/Class 3 NFA Dealer
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Livingston
    Thanks to Richard I was able to handle and shoot each. Both are nice pistols but the 17 fits my hand the best. The balance of the 17 just felt better to me. It will be a range pistol so concealability is not an issue. I want to thank all for their input.

Charles

Charles,

If it's going to be a range pistol also consider the 34. You can shoot mine if you want.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker

Charles

That is why I said try before you buy, the G19 is a great pistol but does not "fit"
    everyone. The G17 is a good choice if it works best for you.

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    Charles,

If it's going to be a range pistol also consider the 34. You can shoot mine if you want.

Richard mentioned the 34 too. I may take you up on that Derek. Have you shot the new textured grips?

glock-texture1.jpg

Charles

Last edited:

Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    Had fun, was kind of Impromptu and last minute, but still fun! Glad I could be of assistance in helping you make your decision.

JBP and TDH, IIRC, the G17 and 34 frames are identical dimensionally, just the slide and barrel are longer on the 34, correct?

Next time I'll bring some full house .357 loads and the longer barrel blackhawk to make even more noise!

TDH

FFL/Class 3 NFA Dealer
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Livingston
    Richard mentioned the 34 too. I may take you up on that Derek. Have you shot the new textured grips?

glock-texture1.jpg

Charles

I personally prefer the textured grip. If I were in the market for another 17 I would buy the RTF2.

Some of the girly men say it's rough on there hands shooting it all day, but I think if you stay away from the lotion and body cream you'll probably be alright ;)

TDH

FFL/Class 3 NFA Dealer
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Livingston
    Richard and I checked out out a RTF 17 tonight at Precision. Felt pretty good to me. Richard thinks they are rough. And I'm the one with baby butt smooth hands. :rofl:

You have smooth hands and I use there for their :eek3:

What is this world coming too!

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    Charles, I keep hearing complaints from the plain clothes guys who come through the lab that the RTF grip texture is hard on clothing when carrying the piece concealed. These are definitely NOT "girly-men", so take that for what it is worth... ;)

They are grippy. I could see where they may give clothes/skin hell with CC. Could hardly call Richard a "girly man". He expressed concern after shooting the textured grips for a while they may become uncomfortable. My pistol will not be used for concealed carry. Just a range/plinking pistol.

BayouSlide

See ya at the range
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    On the Bayou Teche, La.
    Competition: G34 or G17 w/edge going to G34

General defense: G17 or G19 w/edge going to G19

Concealed carry only: G19 or G26 w/edge going to G26

Had to pick only one for both competition/defense: G17

Had to pick only one for general defense: G19

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker

I concur.

Nick

a.k.a. Nick™
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Baton Rouge

good analysis! I don't do competition shooting, I have a G19 and a G26, both have their place. I can casually carry my G19 in a paddle holster concealed (or not) and I can easily tuck away my G26 when I need to wear more tailored clothing or need deep concealment.

Top Bottom