Glock-17 POA/POI

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    My Glock-17 is shooting high left and I will say it could be me doing something worng. I am starting to aim low right to get my shots on target but started thinking this may be a bad habit. Should I put a taller sight on to fix it?

Glock-17
    Gen-4
    Warren Tactical Glock Sevigny Carry Sight Set
    KKM Drop in Barrel

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    340   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    My Glock-17 is shooting high left and I will say it could be me doing something worng. I am starting to aim low right to get my shots on target but started thinking this may be a bad habit. Should I put a taller sight on to fix it?

Glock-17
    Gen-4
    Warren Tactical Glock Sevigny Carry Sight Set
    KKM Drop in Barrel

Do you know the height of your front and rear sights. If you are doing everything right you either need a taller front or lower rear. How high are you shooting at what distance?

SGT_Kramer

Knuckle Buster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Ball
    A0DA01C9023542EFB6260B938D73951E.gif
    Much more then often then not it's the shooter. Buying new sights will only fix the cash in your pocket problem.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    High and left is a rare shooter-induced instance in the event of someone who is experienced and holding a feasible group. I've seen you shoot, so I find it unlikely.

That said-- LEFT push with a Glock is common and repeatable by even expert shooters. That part may be you, but I suspect the "high" is mechanical.

The Warren/Sevigny sets are sold gun-specific, so is it possible you snagged the wrong set? IIRC, they have them for the 19/17 as a pair, then the 34 and 26 individually.

The KKM could also have radically altered POI, and different bullet weights/profiles show more shifts at distance in those match barrels than in the factories.

I'd bench it across the next couple of weeks and make sure it's still printing high. If you can get anyone else even remotely decent to shoot it, things like 4" high @20 will be obvious and you can fix the issue from there.

TheLawson

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    New Orleans
    High and left is a rare shooter-induced instance in the event of someone who is experienced and holding a feasible group. I've seen you shoot, so I find it unlikely.

That said-- LEFT push with a Glock is common and repeatable by even expert shooters. That part may be you, but I suspect the "high" is mechanical.

The Warren/Sevigny sets are sold gun-specific, so is it possible you snagged the wrong set? IIRC, they have them for the 19/17 as a pair, then the 34 and 26 individually.

The KKM could also have radically altered POI, and different bullet weights/profiles show more shifts at distance in those match barrels than in the factories.

I'd bench it across the next couple of weeks and make sure it's still printing high. If you can get anyone else even remotely decent to shoot it, things like 4" high @20 will be obvious and you can fix the issue from there.

+1

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA

I will also add that if I shoot it off hand its still high left. You got me thinking about the KKM now.

davidd

Expert in the field of wife avoidance
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I have a G35 with a KKM and the same rear sight (comp model). I needed a .235 front to hit POA, though I ended up using a .225 since I tend to shoot a little low when firing rapidly. The .215 Warren front is supposed to work with the G17/22, and the .245 is supposed to be right for the G34/35. I'm glad Dawson has sights in .010 increments, because I needed something in the middle.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    I have a G35 with a KKM and the same rear sight (comp model). I needed a .235 front to hit POA, though I ended up using a .225 since I tend to shoot a little low when firing rapidly. The .215 Warren front is supposed to work with the G17/22, and the .245 is supposed to be right for the G34/35. I'm glad Dawson has sights in .010 increments, because I needed something in the middle.

Good info. I did order a new .215 and .225 today. I am using a very thin front right now and thinking my shooting left may be from that big gap on each side of the post messing with my eyes.

swamper

Curmudgeon in Training
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 30, 2008
    Pineville
    Oh, and that Bullseye Shooting Correction Chart should be cast into the pits of Hell with whoever posted it in every public shooting range on the planet. :redfinger:

I like this one a bit better. Awerbuck would kill me with his stare for reposting this that has him attributed to it, but here it is. I can see where he definitely influenced this one though. I distinctly remember many of these when attending his class. :D

http://www.neshooters.com/awerbuck.pdf

I tend to shoot my Glock to the left a little as well. I've corrected it, but it was induced by me milking the gun. For the pdf linked, that would be number 5 for the 9 o'clock portion. Many people tend to pull the Glock a little to left (right for southpaws). And, like Sin said, experienced shooters do/have done it as well.

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=111972

Last edited:

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    Shooting left with a glock is caused by death gripping it with the strong hand. You should be holding the gun as you would hold a raw egg without breaking it. The grip strength should come from your support hand.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    340   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Good info. I did order a new .215 and .225 today. I am using a very thin front right now and thinking my shooting left may be from that big gap on each side of the post messing with my eyes.

A .225 will only lower your POI approximately 1.5" when compared to the .215 front sight.

rockmup

Please be my friend
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   0
    Apr 21, 2007
    City of Central
    Shooting left with a glock is caused by death gripping it with the strong hand. You should be holding the gun as you would hold a raw egg without breaking it. The grip strength should come from your support hand.

This right here was / is the cause of my left, low left shooting.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bree
    Top Bottom