Glock-17 POA/POI

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • davidd

Expert in the field of wife avoidance
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I found that I had trouble keeping the front sight level with the rear sight when shooting at a match - I seemed to get much more of a "vertical distribution" of my shots. Since the narrow front sight had less of a "plateau" on top than the .115 or .125, it seemed to be harder to keep it level with the rear sight. With that wider top ledge, I am better able to keep the sights in alignment. Of course, YMMV.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    I found that I had trouble keeping the front sight level with the rear sight when shooting at a match - I seemed to get much more of a "vertical distribution" of my shots. Since the narrow front sight had less of a "plateau" on top than the .115 or .125, it seemed to be harder to keep it level with the rear sight. With that wider top ledge, I am better able to keep the sights in alignment. Of course, YMMV.

Great info thanks for your opinion that may be what I was doing also.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    And that's why sights are a very personal thing. Everyone's eyes are different. What works great for one person can totally screw up the next guy. Just keep trying until you find what works for ya.

For example I have a slight astigmatism in my right eye, so I prefer having more light around the front sight or everything blurs together. But if the front sight is too thin I'll lose focus on it. So for me, a wider front sight with wide rear notch works best.

Robhic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Destrehan, LA
    Take a look at this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hULEsl3QC-s&feature=related And let me add this: I had a low & left problem typical to Glocks. I practised a lot and dry fired and kept this video in mind. I also put Talon rough-textured grips to make my grip rock solid, went to a NY1 spring and a 3.5 '-' connector and my last trip out was a pleasant surprise! My group tightened and only had a few fliers. Just a thought.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    Put 450 rounds down range today and I must say replacing the front sight is a huge improvement. Still shooting a little left but I will keep working on that.

Thanks for all the help everyone.

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    There may have been some issue with the way the problem sight was fitting to the slide. IE it mic'ed out the same, but was actually sitting up a bit once it was on the gun.

This happens quite often when people just ram a front post into a gun with a dovetail, instead of properly fitting it. Metal starts to shave, things start to warp, shavings get trapped, etc.

Or maybe you just had a better shooting day today? :D

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    There may have been some issue with the way the problem sight was fitting to the slide. IE it mic'ed out the same, but was actually sitting up a bit once it was on the gun.

This happens quite often when people just ram a front post into a gun with a dovetail, instead of properly fitting it. Metal starts to shave, things start to warp, shavings get trapped, etc.

Or maybe you just had a better shooting day today? :D

:nono: I mic'ed it while it was still on the gun top of the slide to the top of the sight. I really think the F/O was so close to the top of the sight that I may have been putting the center of the F/O to the top of the rear sight (even tho I know better). 25yards I was still a little high but Im gonna keep it the way it is for now. 15yards I seem to be spot on.

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    :nono: I mic'ed it while it was still on the gun top of the slide to the top of the sight. I really think the F/O was so close to the top of the sight that I may have been putting the center of the F/O to the top of the rear sight (even tho I know better). 25yards I was still a little high but Im gonna keep it the way it is for now. 15yards I seem to be spot on.

15 yards should be about right for what you'll use it for.

Shooting the dot instead of the top of the front post is pretty common. I messed around with different color fiber (dimmer) to see if it would help, but I discovered that (as usual) there's really no gear fix for a problem with fundamentals. (Plus you lose the advantage of the fiber in close-in situations...)

Glad it got sorted out. Still, that's pretty strange!

Top Bottom