Glock 19 - educate me

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    My wife just bought her first pistol, a Glock 19 Gen 3. We have always carried Beretta PX4s in our vehicles and at bedside, but decided it would be best to go with something more available, mainstream, simple, reliable, etc.

I've sorta been out of the whole firearm game for a while and stopped paying as much attention to Glock.

Are there any aftermarket mags that are just as reliable as OEM?

What about higher capacity mags than the 15 rounders that came with the Glock? Is there a kit to convert them to 17 rounders, higher, etc?

The last thing I want to do is make the most reliable pistol in the world less reliable. I know to stay away from Korean Mags, but was wondering if there is another manufacturer with more options, kind of like MecGar is to all things Beretta.

Other than stippling and red dots, anything else I should consider?

Jasarii

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    Walker, LA
    As far as mags go, I personally would try to stick with OEM mags. If you are just looking for some extra mags for "range use", Magpul makes a pretty good G19 & G17 mag.

Remember that Glock 17 mags (17rds) are compatable with your G19. Also, you can buy Glock 33rd OEM mags.

There are some companies that make +2 extensions for Glock mags.

www.gunmagwarehouse.com
    has some decent prices on mags.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    I've had zero issues with magpul mags. All g19, 17/34 and 18 mags will work with the 19.

Some people upgrade the extractor if you suffer from brass to face issues.

Where I found the glock really shines is when you shoot from reset. The reset and break are so positive that you can train and do it fairly quickly. Makes follow up shots quicker for me.

Some people upgrade to a 3.5# connector, it helps bring the pull weight down slightly. Not a HUGE difference to me, but definitely a difference.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    Are there any reports of these causing a problem?

Who makes the very best extensions?

Pearce would be the go to usually for +2.

More than that, I've been happy with my Dawson +5's. My brother runs Taran tactical +5's but it interferes with his ALG magwell. My Dawson and Zev magwells seem to work fine with all mags so far.

Jasarii

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    Walker, LA
    Pearce makes a good product at a fair price.
    If you want 17rds, I would personally pass on the +2 extensions and simply buy a few Glock 17 mags.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alpinehyperlite

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    I have some pierce and some glock factory extensions for both my 26 and 27. Never had any issues with either. As for the gun itself, unless there is a problem keep it stock.

Firearmfanatic

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 25, 2016
    Acadia Parish
    I have some of the Korean mags, 15rd and 33rd, they have functioned good in both of my G19 pistols til this date. I dont think you should overlook them but that is your choice.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    A lot of folks like the Taran Tactical +6 extensions, but I've had enough issues with them that I stopped using them. I only use OEM magazines with OEM basepads, Vickers basepads, or Pearce Grip Extensions.

Never tried Magpul, but ETS mags work just fine. For the price, I'd rather OEM mags.

Stay far away from the Korean magazines.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    I've had issues with Korean (KCI) mags. I probably own a dozen. Had issues with the springs/follower sticking giving me feed issues or dumping the rounds out. I replaced the springs with factory glock springs or Wolf extra power springs, but still don't use them since I have so many glock and magpul mags already.

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Thanks for all the replies! Although I've fired glocks before I've never been really introduced to the system. We will definitely need to take some more training classes now using these.

Pearce is always a good choice for extensions. I have had zero problems with Magpul mags. Their Magpul.
    I'll definitely do some research on the magpuls. I was less than thrilled with their AK mags when they first came out, but seem to have earned a good rep with them now. I actually had no idea they were making Glock mags now.

I have some pierce and some glock factory extensions for both my 26 and 27. Never had any issues with either. As for the gun itself, unless there is a problem keep it stock.
    I have no desire to tamper with anything internal until I am well versed in the system, and then probably not anyway. In the future, one of our glocks may sport a threaded bbl, just because I have suppressors now.

Never tried Magpul, but ETS mags work just fine.

ETS mags?

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    I've had issues with Korean (KCI) mags. I probably own a dozen. Had issues with the springs/follower sticking giving me feed issues or dumping the rounds out. I replaced the springs with factory glock springs or Wolf extra power springs, but still don't use them since I have so many glock and magpul mags already.

Might actually be worth buying a couple KCI mags just to induce failures and help with drills.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    GLK-17-2T.gif

If it's a carry gun and you will potentially have to have your life depend on it, stick with OEM magazines. Magpul magazines have a good reputation, ETS magazines as well, but I'd only use them in training. Korean magazines are junk. You'd be better off with the Magpul magazines if price is a major factor.

- - - Updated - - -

Might actually be worth buying a couple KCI mags just to induce failures and help with drills.

Snapcaps are a better investment.

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    GLK-17-2T.gif

If it's a carry gun and you will potentially have to have your life depend on it, stick with OEM magazines. Magpul magazines have a good reputation, ETS magazines as well, but I'd only use them in training. Korean magazines are junk. You'd be better off with the Magpul magazines if price is a major factor.

- - - Updated - - -

Snapcaps are a better investment.

Got it.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    My only glock upgrade is sights.

Mags that will be used for carry are only OEM. I have 6 OEM mags for range use and I've abused the heck outta them and I've never had a malfunction from them. I've recently added a magpul mag for range use and must say I'm pretty impressed with it for range use.

s3th

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 6, 2016
    Mandeville
    I recently bought 3x Glock PMAGS for my G19. I tired them out yesterday with my normal reload recipe and had my first FTE and 2 StovePipes with 50 rounds. Not very pleased with them but I'll run them some more.

LanbosArmory has them for right around $11.00 so...

Slalom.45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    I don't get skimping on magazines. It's really the heart of any semi-auto. OEM mags pop up for $20 a pop fairly often on sale from Natchez or Brownell's. Is saving $7-8 per mag really that big a deal if you're buying an extra 3-5 mags for personal use?

If I want malfunction training I'd much rather just put in a snap cap or empty case than have a dedicated POC mag that I spent money on.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    I don't get skimping on magazines. It's really the heart of any semi-auto. OEM mags pop up for $20 a pop fairly often on sale from Natchez or Brownell's. Is saving $7-8 per mag really that big a deal if you're buying an extra 3-5 mags for personal use?

If I want malfunction training I'd much rather just put in a snap cap or empty case than have a dedicated POC mag that I spent money on.

I don't think a single person advised aftermarket mags for carry.

I shoot my G-19 every Sunday and drop the mags on the concrete so @$10.00 savings each my next round of range mags will be Magpul. My 1 current Magpul glock mag has 2000 or so rds of factory ammo though it and not one malfunction.

Top Bottom