Glock 40 10mm Discussion

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • XD45ACP

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 26, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Apparently I am among the few who were excited about Glock's new model 40. I have wanted a long slide 10mm for quite some time, thinking it would be the perfect hunting companion. I also realize that I could have gotten a G20 and built one with aftermarket parts, but that would end up costing more than I wanted to spend for a gun that would see so little use while also being exposed to so much dirt/mud/abuse and still not have a warranty.

That being said, I realize no one probably has hands on this new model yet, but I ran across this and it made me scratch my head.

http://www.all4shooters.com/en/spec...HOT-show-2015/pistols/glock-40-mos-10mm-Auto/

"Users should however remember that the manufacturer only recommends the use of light loads on the Glock 40: the shorter-barrel Glock 20 remains the only 10mm Auto Glock recommended to be used with full-powered loads."

My question is, why would Glock actually create a handgun that they are calling the "Hunter" and then say, by the way, don't use the real 10mm loads that you would want to hunt with/use against a four legged attack?
    Could it be that it's just harder to make this gun run on heavy/full house loads? Or, would they really put out a gun like this that's not safe for its apparent intended use?

Devilneck

S&W Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Slidell
    Good question. I'd like verification on this also, before I drop money on something that makes no sense.

Glock does some great things, but then some silly things too. Like the 45GAP, and now this (if true).

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    I'm sorry guys. I tried to tell we wanted a single-stack 9mm- but they yelled something at me in German and threw me out of the building. :o :doh:

:D I agree. I don't know why on EARTH they would intentionally design a 10mm hunting model that can't handle the full-house loads. That just doesn't make any sense.

NOShooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2014
    New Orleans
    2443ebf5.jpg

No issues with full house loads on my g20L.

I built this 5 years ago. I love it. It is a serious tack driver and my trusty hog and bear side arm.

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    Are there any manufacturers that offer a light 10mm load? A light 10mm load would basically be a 40 S&W so what would be the point that?

Unfortunately most factory 10mm loads are on the low end. Buffalo Bore, double-tap, and underwood are a few that actually make what I would consider a true 10mm load. I wonder if Glock is just trying to avoid a liability issue when people start using the g40 in self defense situations and say they used it because it was a beast and a one shot kill everyone in the next zip code pistol.

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    Are there any manufacturers that offer a light 10mm load? A light 10mm load would basically be a 40 S&W so what would be the point that?

Unfortunately most factory 10mm loads are on the low end. Buffalo Bore, double-tap, and underwood are a few that actually make what I would consider a true 10mm load. I wonder if Glock is just trying to avoid a liability issue when people start using the g40 in self defense situations and say they used it because it was a beast and a one shot kill everyone in the next zip code pistol.

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    The 180gr loads are nothing more than .40 loaded into 10mm case. They offer good stopping power and are easy to shoot. However, they do not offer what fans of 10mm are looking for. I have more fun shooting the Blazer 200gr target loads since there is more powder involved.
    I would not worry about Glock's lawyer talk. This has been industry wide. Even HK has stopped the endorsement of Plus P loads in newer guns.

Rainsdrops

Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Nov 17, 2010
    Houma
    The older eaa had cracking slide issues. It's no longer an issue.
    Does anyone know if the the new glock has a fully supported chamber? This could be glocks reasoning for using light loads

gunz4me

Target Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 14, 2006
    Lafayette
    The older eaa had cracking slide issues. It's no longer an issue.
    Does anyone know if the the new glock has a fully supported chamber? This could be glocks reasoning for using light loads

Believe it or not, the modern Glock chambers on the G20 are more supported than most would think. My uncle showed me a comparison between his Lone Wolf barrel and the stock G20 barrel on his Gen 3 Glock, and I was shocked due the fact that both barrels looked like they had the same amount of chamber support. The major difference is the rifling versus chamber support. With the Lone Wolf, he can shoot cast lead whereas with the stock barrel, he stated that you take your chances with pressure buildup by shooting lead rounds. My G20 is stock, for now...

Armed Mage

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2013
    Lafayette
    Most modern pistols say in their manuals to not use +P ammo either, yet we know running +P in a Glock isn't going to ruin the gun. The companies just smother themselves in legal protection like that in case some freak accident happens.

FishingFool

Calls the shot
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    Metairie
    I saw the same thing while researching and called up Glock. They said if its within the SAAMI specs the new G40 would shoot it just fine. The internet is full of **** half the time.

I've got a couple of boxes of Underwood ammo on the way ordered in anticipation. 180, 200, and 220 gr boxes to try.

FishingFool

Calls the shot
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    Metairie
    I dunno. Never asked about cast but I'm not worried about it. there are folks on castboolits.gunloads.com that regularly shoot their own cast bullets through stock g20's. Hell I shoot nothing but cast through my g19 and I don't have any leading issues.

I just got my 3 boxes of underwood ammo in and found my chronograph. If someone gets a g40 before I do lets do some testing! If I find one locally I'm more than willing to let any forum member meet me at the range to try it.

dsonyay

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 15, 2007
    Broussard, LA
    I shoot cast bullets through my Glock 19 and 20 quite a bit. I clean the barrel after shooting and never see any leading problem. Overblown warnings from Glock.

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    I shot thousands of cast bullets in a Glock 24 I used to own. It was never a problem. I do not know what all the fuss is about.

The_Shadow

The Shadow Knows!
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 24, 2010
    Southeast, LA
    Yep, Glock's taking advantage of their previous success with the Glocks chambered in 10mm and the G-40 will be a good choice for competition shooters and hunters alike. The ballistic potential the 10mm can provide makes it a great choice. Why do I say this? I have handloaded and shot the 10mm cartridges since 1990. Those who know me also know about the pull-down documentations I do for the commercial 10mm ammo which are documented on the 10mm Firearms forum; http://10mm-firearms.com/factory-10mm-ammo-pull-downs/
    Those interested in the guns and the cartridge will appreciate this forum, so stop by, it is a totally free forum with no advertisements!

There are many offerings of cast bullets these days, and properly fitting cast bullets are needed to prevent leading issues in any barrel not just the polygonals.
    Also the use of the (poly powdered paint, whether dry application or slurry application then baked on) type coated bullets has been a good choice as it provides a good seal and slick surface so the alloy doesn't touch the rifling.

I have not had any issues using my own cast bullets in the Glocks either, here are the ones I cast for 10mm/40S&W
    10mmCastBullets_zps0b199796.jpg

Best regards,

Top Bottom