Glock preference...Gen 3 or 4?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • What generation glock do you prefer?

• Total voters

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Gen 3. I like the texture and the idea of putting a talon grip and it sticking well on it. Mines lasted about 2 years of iwb carrying on my 27. The triggers just feel different on the gen 3 vs gen 4 too. I know the gen 4 has an extra "tit" of metal on the trigger bar, whats the reason for that? It seems like it may provide more of an obstacle if your goal was to lighten up the trigger on a gen 4.

With the gen 4 Glocks rolling out the beavertail backstraps the Talon is sort of a moot point.

The nub as I understand it helps prevent the trigger bar aligned against the frame. Really a non-issue, but you can easily polish it or replace the trigger bar with a 3rd gen if it bugs ya.

1911Dave

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Mandeville
    Ordered a gen3 19 today. Figured I would jump back into the Glock game for the hell of it. Want to stay proficient with all types. Will never replace my 1911's but variety is the spice of life.

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    Gen 4. The differences are not drastic, but the mag release is MUCH better and the interchangable backstraps are a big step in the right direction. For me personally, the gen 3 guns required a grip reduction to point naturally. With the gen 4 I just go backstrapless and it gets the job done all the same, one less thing to fiddle with.

Beyond those things I don't notice a difference in shooting. If they recoil less or are more accurate I couldn't tell ya as I've never really paid attention. If buying new I see no reason to not upgrade to the gen 4, the extra cost is offset by the additional mag included anyway.

same for me.

automan71

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    New Iberia
    I like both 3rd and 4th Gen's. I've never owned a 4, because I've only run across deals on Gen 3's.

Maybe it's because people are going to Gen 4's...Lol!

rrussotwo

Jedi Knight
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Owned both. Gen4 hands down. The grip surface and shape is better for me.

The trigger needs more work than gen3s, but its nothing that money and patience won't fix.

RoyL

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2012
    Youngsville, LA
    I just received a new Model 19 Gen 4. I could have had a Gen 3 for less money, but the extra magazine alone makes up a good bit of the difference, and the choice of back-straps enhances your chances of being comfortable with the gun. The mag release is nice, as is the rough textured grip. I think the Gen 4 is simply a better value, but I have owned Gen 3 Glocks, and I cannot say a bad word about them. Great pistols. I have never personally seen any kind of failure with any Glock, including Gen 3 and Gen 4. So I think it just comes down to what you believe is the better value.

4sooth

enthusiast
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Generation 2 hands down. I just traded a gen 2 in .40 S&W for a Gen 3 Glock 17 (even swap). The gen3 trigger is 50% heavier than the gen 2. Adding a Ghost Rocket 3.5 connector lowered the pull to what the stock gen 2 had. The whole gun is gritty feeling when cycling. The gen 3 is in like new condition--does not appear to have been shot more than a mag or two though. I will be trading it off for a gen 2 17 at the first opportunity.

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    Noticed a big difference in recoil between a gen3 23 and a gen4 23. The recoil spring setup must be the reason. I never cared for the 23 befoer the gen4. I do like rtf2 glocks, because of the aggressive texture. the gen4 is close and I do like the bigger mag release.

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    If anyone is looking to trade a Gen 4 19 for a Gen 3 19, here ya go. ;) OR, if someone runs across a Gen 4 19, feel free to let me know.

http://bayoushooter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109455

The Gen 3 grip is too big for me. I have had a Gen 4 23 for some time, and although I prefer 9mm, I shoot the 23 better than the 19 because of the difference in the size of the grips. I prefer the Gen 3 trigger over the Gen 4 for sure, but I can fix that with some work to it.

Last edited:

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    IMO the mag release is terrible on gen 4's. I want an extended mag release (detracting somewhat from its superiority).

Are you talking about a range toy or a carry weapon? Early on, I made the mistake of thinking all my pistols needed an extended everything, until I came across a post about mags ejecting without human input.

rrussotwo

Jedi Knight
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Are you talking about a range toy or a carry weapon? Early on, I made the mistake of thinking all my pistols needed an extended everything, until I came across a post about mags ejecting without human input.

This. ^^^^

I need to shave down my Ruger SR9C ambi release. This recently happened to me. Luckily I noticed when I unholstered at bedtime.

Top Bottom