GMRS radio's, anyone else ?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • theonlytalkinggoat

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2023
    Louisiana
    Got my GMRS license back in Feb. but the closest repeater is in BR, about 40 miles away. Line of sight and interference makes it hard to transmit and there is something bleeding over channels 3, 17 and 18, in/around Breaux Bridge. I have a post about it on mygmrs, but no one seems to know what it is, although, many are experiencing the same noise across the country. I built a +12db Yagi, a couple weeks ago and I am able to hear the two repeaters on the west side of BR, loudly, but I don't have enough power to transmit and have them hear me. I am thinking about getting an actual base station @50w, instead of the handheld UV-9G @5w.

I was in Metarie, the other day, and there were active conversations going on from all over the country. Seems to be a pretty small group of people, as they all knew each other by name.

There are no GMRS repeaters in my area, although, there is a pretty active HAM network on 2m. Sounds like a bunch of old grandpas on there, though . Might be an option. Seemed to propagate well. I am about 20 miles from the tower and I could hear them perfectly fine.

As for using this type of radio for SHTF comms, I wouldn't count on GMRS for long-range anything. 2-3 miles is pushing it for anything handheld and 462 & 467mhz is not really good at long-range comms; you need something with a longer wave. A CB with a 100-500w amp would be better, although, it's currently illegal to use (SHTF, AROL, right?). CB comms sit around the 10m band, I think, so they are more apt to skip and penetrate through stuff. Only issue is the yo-yo's in California, Arizona, Tennessee and everywhere else with 5000 watt base stations, blasting across the channels, trying to drown each other out. I know there is a HAM tower in Parks, La, 1k feet up, on the 70cm band, with pretty good coverage. More to consider, you still have to get/build an antenna in the range you want to use. Not just any antenna will work. A 70cm antenna won't work in 160m. The good thing about the lower bands, is, the antennas are more forgiving and can be less complex. There are also radios you can modify to use almost any frequency, I believe. It's called the MARS mod. For secure SHTF, I would look into something with AES encryption and pirating an ex-government tower on LMRS or something like that (again, SHTF, AROL, right?). It wouldn't be long range, but it depends on your needs and SIGINT. We could dive really deep into OPSEC and SIGINT with all this, too.

If the internet goes down, those internet capable repeaters aren't going to do much and, what are we going to do about power?

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    The 2m and 70cm amateur radio bands are active almost everywhere and you have a huge variety of options when it comes to radios. I would just study and get the technician license. The test isn’t difficult and going over the material gives you the opportunity to learn some basics about radio so you can have an idea of how to operate when the time comes. Buying a Baofeng, throwing it in a bag and saying “screw the FCC because I don’t need a stinking license” may not be the best plan for emergency comms.

For years I was against it, but I gave it a try and I see how it would be useful during emergencies etc.

mylongscreenname

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 17, 2020
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Got my GMRS license back in Feb. but the closest repeater is in BR, about 40 miles away. Line of sight and interference makes it hard to transmit and there is something bleeding over channels 3, 17 and 18, in/around Breaux Bridge. I have a post about it on mygmrs, but no one seems to know what it is, although, many are experiencing the same noise across the country. I built a +12db Yagi, a couple weeks ago and I am able to hear the two repeaters on the west side of BR, loudly, but I don't have enough power to transmit and have them hear me. I am thinking about getting an actual base station @50w, instead of the handheld UV-9G @5w.

I was in Metarie, the other day, and there were active conversations going on from all over the country. Seems to be a pretty small group of people, as they all knew each other by name.

There are no GMRS repeaters in my area, although, there is a pretty active HAM network on 2m. Sounds like a bunch of old grandpas on there, though . Might be an option. Seemed to propagate well. I am about 20 miles from the tower and I could hear them perfectly fine.

As for using this type of radio for SHTF comms, I wouldn't count on GMRS for long-range anything. 2-3 miles is pushing it for anything handheld and 462 & 467mhz is not really good at long-range comms; you need something with a longer wave. A CB with a 100-500w amp would be better, although, it's currently illegal to use (SHTF, AROL, right?). CB comms sit around the 10m band, I think, so they are more apt to skip and penetrate through stuff. Only issue is the yo-yo's in California, Arizona, Tennessee and everywhere else with 5000 watt base stations, blasting across the channels, trying to drown each other out. I know there is a HAM tower in Parks, La, 1k feet up, on the 70cm band, with pretty good coverage. More to consider, you still have to get/build an antenna in the range you want to use. Not just any antenna will work. A 70cm antenna won't work in 160m. The good thing about the lower bands, is, the antennas are more forgiving and can be less complex. There are also radios you can modify to use almost any frequency, I believe. It's called the MARS mod. For secure SHTF, I would look into something with AES encryption and pirating an ex-government tower on LMRS or something like that (again, SHTF, AROL, right?). It wouldn't be long range, but it depends on your needs and SIGINT. We could dive really deep into OPSEC and SIGINT with all this, too.

If the internet goes down, those internet capable repeaters aren't going to do much and, what are we going to do about power?
    Just curious....did you connect to the SELA BTR repeater? Pretty wide coverage. MyGMRS.com. 5 to 7 repeaters in the BR.

mylongscreenname

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 17, 2020
    Baton Rouge, LA
    It would be interesting to schedule a group radio test day. One Sunday afternoon with a window of time. One of my issues has been random folks on when trying to do a radio check and they are not even in the area. I would like to better understand how "solid" my connection is while in the BTR area and this push out wider from there via roadkill or other network.

rm2092

Rating - 90.9%
    10   1   0
    Nov 14, 2008
    Harvey, La
    Since I had gotten my radio I've been listing to it every morning on the drive to work and its the same old same poepole on in the morning and a mixture on the drive home. Talked to a few but for now just listining.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    So basically if someone has a repeater they can hook it up to the internet and it can transmit to any other repeaters on that frequency. Then it transmits from that node out to whoever is on that channel in the area close to the repeater. So if someone in your area is connected to the Roadkill Network in your area it will transmit all over. It’s pretty neat. Do you have GMRS radios?
    I travel a lot. Let's say I'm driving in North Texas and wanted to talk to someone in Baton Rouge/New Orleans - would a GMRS repeater do that?

I've got a good group of buddies (8-10 dudes) who all live within about a 2 mile radius of me. I'm somewhat considering convincing all of them to get GMRS radios if we ever have another cell-down situation.

I have a Garmin InReach Messenger satellite communicator that has worked wonders when I'm out in random mountain ranges across the US. My understanding is that it has worldwide coverage. I'd recommend adding to your kit if funds allow.

The 2m and 70cm amateur radio bands are active almost everywhere and you have a huge variety of options when it comes to radios. I would just study and get the technician license. The test isn’t difficult and going over the material gives you the opportunity to learn some basics about radio so you can have an idea of how to operate when the time comes. Buying a Baofeng, throwing it in a bag and saying “screw the FCC because I don’t need a stinking license” may not be the best plan for emergency comms.

For years I was against it, but I gave it a try and I see how it would be useful during emergencies etc.
    Ugh, I might just bite the bullet and do it. I'm on 10 weeks of paternity leave right now (first kid!) and have a solid amount of downtime.

70mikenike70

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2022
    Lake Charles
    I travel a lot. Let's say I'm driving in North Texas and wanted to talk to someone in Baton Rouge/New Orleans - would a GMRS repeater do that?

I've got a good group of buddies (8-10 dudes) who all live within about a 2 mile radius of me. I'm somewhat considering convincing all of them to get GMRS radios if we ever have another cell-down situation.

I have a Garmin InReach Messenger satellite communicator that has worked wonders when I'm out in random mountain ranges across the US. My understanding is that it has worldwide coverage. I'd recommend adding to your kit if funds allow.

Ugh, I might just bite the bullet and do it. I'm on 10 weeks of paternity leave right now (first kid!) and have a solid amount of downtime.
    Ok so if you want to be able to talk to people while you are on the road, you need to search for repeaters in that specific area that is linked to the Roadkill Network. That normally is channel 16 on your GMRS radio. If you are close enough to each repeater where you are traveling, you will be able to talk to whoever is connected to the Roadkill Network in their area. Same goes with HAM. You search out the repeaters in the area you are in and you can network with anyone else on those frequencies. Every time I have my radio on I am monitoring my local HAM repeater and my local GMRS repeater. You can monitor multiple depending on what radio you have. But you can only transmit to one at a time. You can go to repeaterbook.com and find repeaters all over Louisiana and program them all into your radios that way when you are in that town you can use them. Second with your buddies I highly recommend getting them into GMRS, once you get that you will be itching for your HAM license. Trust me I’m speaking from experience lol. Then when you get everyone involved, you can get everyone to throw some money in to buy a repeater for GMRS and you can over triple the distance that y’all will be able to talk. It’s endless possibilities. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask. I would love to be able to help get yall involved in both radio services!

Pfarley

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2019
    Erwinville
    Not much to add, but chuckling at the fact I've been looking into GMRS lately. Figured I'd do a search online with people from the state had to say regarding the area. Only post to pop up was a forum I'm a part of and within the weekend.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Ok so if you want to be able to talk to people while you are on the road, you need to search for repeaters in that specific area that is linked to the Roadkill Network. That normally is channel 16 on your GMRS radio. If you are close enough to each repeater where you are traveling, you will be able to talk to whoever is connected to the Roadkill Network in their area. Same goes with HAM. You search out the repeaters in the area you are in and you can network with anyone else on those frequencies. Every time I have my radio on I am monitoring my local HAM repeater and my local GMRS repeater. You can monitor multiple depending on what radio you have. But you can only transmit to one at a time. You can go to repeaterbook.com and find repeaters all over Louisiana and program them all into your radios that way when you are in that town you can use them. Second with your buddies I highly recommend getting them into GMRS, once you get that you will be itching for your HAM license. Trust me I’m speaking from experience lol. Then when you get everyone involved, you can get everyone to throw some money in to buy a repeater for GMRS and you can over triple the distance that y’all will be able to talk. It’s endless possibilities. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask. I would love to be able to help get yall involved in both radio services!

Is this a good option for a GMRS radio?

Here is another one I found:

Last edited:

Matthewk1114

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 12, 2023
    Slidell
    Not GMRS related, but have you looked into Meshtastic Devices. It kinda solves your one issue with lack of internet, but it brings the other issue of you would need all of your “buddies” to get on the same page with Meshtastic. Or use the public nodes and communicate with anonymous users. Its pretty crazy stuff and i am in the early phases of it. Just purchased 4 nodes. But it is highly interesting. I linked a couple videos that explain it well and some use cases.

My simple terms explanation. Meshtastic is an app/program that allows your smart phones and devices to talk (chat to each other) via 915mhz devices scattered at random points. They all act as repeaters to get your message to the other end. The more nodes (devices) set up. The larger your network grid becomes and the further your message can be sent. If one node goes offline, loses power, turns off, the device will search for the next closest line of sight device to relay your message. Intergrations are on the way and plugin support is trial and error. But this tech ACTUALLY provides off-grid communication. Best part, low cost and no licensing required.

Use case:

Overview and capabilities:

Last edited:

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Not GMRS related, but have you looked into Meshtastic Devices. It kinda solves your one issue with lack of internet, but it brings the other issue of you would need all of your “buddies” to get on the same page with Meshtastic. Or use the public nodes and communicate with anonymous users. Its pretty crazy stuff and i am in the early phases of it. Just purchased 4 nodes. But it is highly interesting. I linked a couple videos that explain it well and some use cases.

My simple terms explanation. Meshtastic is an app/program that allows your smart phones and devices to talk (chat to each other) via 915mhz devices scattered at random points. They all act as repeaters to get your message to the other end. The more nodes (devices) set up. The larger your network grid becomes and the further your message can be sent. If one node goes offline, loses power, turns off, the device will search for the next closest line of sight device to relay your message. Intergrations are on the way and plugin support is trial and error. But this tech ACTUALLY provides off-grid communication. Best part, low cost and no licensing required.

Use case:

Overview and capabilities:

You'd probably like this video:

Now I want a drone....even though my property is less than 0.25 acres LOL

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I also recommend getting multiple radios. I have 5 as of right now and I have only been doing this since last November. It’s fun to be able to listen on HAM channels, but you will want to get your technician license soon after. I like having options.
    I just ordered the 2nd link - the two pack of GMRS radios.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I just ordered the 2nd link - the two pack of GMRS radios.

We used that brand on Jeep rides. They work pretty well, much better than the little motorolas. I have a couple of them at home. As an informal test, we could get over a mile range on them with no line of sight from the house to the grocery store.

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    Ill ad some of the backed info for this chat,
    There used to be radio links in between the towers and the systems would all be RF links, with the cheap internet and WiFi radios, radio guys moved those interconnected links to the internet usually. GMRS is also using this tech. There are multiple states now along the coast that are supporting talk groups.
    The linking is done a few ways, one is radio into a pc sound card interface to digitize it and route it to the other end, where a similar system is likely sitting.
    with the cheaper Chinese radios out now, the entry point is easy for folks to use them. one license covers a household too..

If you hear noise or mixed chatter that cant be understood, it might be FRS, which is the unlicensed portion of the channel or frequencies that it shares the output with..
    many off the shelf radios can be programmed with gmrs and frs frequencies and it might behoove you to have a radio or two in your go bag , if nothing else as a means to talk if cells are down.

frs is limited to fixed power and fixed antennas, but gmrs can go more power and external antennas.. A clever individual can make things work further by using radios that support that feature.

consider the radios a conference line where anyone can hear you if close enough, so I suggest not using anything that may personally reveal details .

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    You'd probably like this video:

Now I want a drone....even though my property is less than 0.25 acres LOL

I have 3 meshtastics, here is a funny, I have been in it long enough to still have boards flashed with the old FW that does not allow the new app to work. lol I have used it for a few miles in Ms at the camp..
    its slow, but it did send.
    I will have a gateway node up eventually at the house to support internet link routing.

Top Bottom