Go/No Go Shells for 8mm Mauser

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Does anyone in the Baton Rouge area have No/No Go gauges for a K98 I recently purchased? I'd like to borrow them briefly. It's just an ugly Russian capture with the distinction of not having any two parts with the same serial number. :)

Dave

Akajun

Go away,Batin...
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Brusly
    Does anyone in the Baton Rouge area have No/No Go gauges for a K98 I recently purchased? I'd like to borrow them briefly. It's just an ugly Russian capture with the distinction of not having any two parts with the same serial number. :)

Dave

RC k98's generally do not have headspace issues, as they were refurbished by the commies, then put away for storage and unused. I would just fire it and check the fired cases for signs of excess headspace. If you realy whant to check, take an unfired round and put a piece of thick masking tape or duct tape on the back of it to make a no/go gauge

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I've heard that they don't generally have these issues. But I'm reluctant to make myself a crash test dummy for the quality of Russian armorers.

Dave

Pale Horse

one quarter civilized
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 15, 2007
    West Monroe, LA
    I've been through this with a Turkish Mauser. The Go and NoGo guages are mainly used when fitting a new barrel, to make sure the headspace is, for lack of a better word, "premium". There is another guage called a Field guage that will give you a simple yes or no answer if the chamber dimensions are within safe limits. I happen to have an 8x57 Field guage gathering dust now that you're welcome to use if you ever get up towards Monroe.

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I appreciate it Pale Horse. I might run it by the local gunsmith just to be sure. I know the I'm being overly cautious but I only have two hands and eyes.

Dave

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    I have the gauges, but I'm in Metairie, just west of New Orleans. I'd be pleased to headspace your gun for you, but there's that doggone drive. I headspace all my C&R guns. I already got a Finnish M39 Mosin-Nagant that failed its headspace test by closing on a No-Go gauge. The problem with that is that the No-go was designed to be used at the factory, and the rifles open their headspace after a few hundred rounds. Hence the field gauge that's a bit bigger than the no-go with the expectation that the headspace will have opened after firing, but should still be safe to shoot.

Last edited:

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Ok, I have not been that direction from Baton Rouge since the week of Katrina. But if I start off where I think I'm going to go that way I'll PM you. Thanks.

Dave

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    Just give me some warning, so I can be sure to be here. The check will only take five minutes or so.

I'd like to add that headspacing bolt action rifles is a relatively new trend. No one ever gave a a thought to it in the past, because bolt action rifles are virtually indestructible. The only times I've ever heard of them failing, something extraordinary was at the root of the problem - something like double loads or rounds stuck in the barrel.

Last edited:

automan71

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    New Iberia
    Dave, Did you ever check the headspace on this rifle?
    Only asking because I recently ordered a Czech Mauser in 8mm....was thinking along the same lines as you. You just never know, for sure, what your getting.

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Not yet. I still have not shot it yet. With my son, my wife and myself being sick pretty much all the time lately I have not had time to go to the rifle range yet.

Dave

dbolemiss

Rebel Fan
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    New Iberia,LA
    Dave, Did you ever check the headspace on this rifle?
    Only asking because I recently ordered a Czech Mauser in 8mm....was thinking along the same lines as you. You just never know, for sure, what your getting.

If you are looking for someone to check it out for you hit me on a PM,I know a guy in Jeanerette that checked the headspace and test fired my K98 when I go it.

WILDCATT

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    MANNING SC
    headspace

my word there must be alot of wimps now no one ever heard of head spacing a gun till these late yrs.:)I have had all kinds of military rifles and never did headspace.also sporting rifles older than any of you.we just shot them.course no one wasted ammo just banging away one box lasted yrs.
    :mamoru:

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    I'm a wimp. I headspace my guns unless I buy a matching-numbered gun, but even then I usually do. $25 can save an eye - or even my life. Seems worth it to me. But I own gauges in most popular calibers I shoot.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cajuntiger84
    Top Bottom