Going to trade in my G22 for a G17

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Law1911

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    Denham Springs
    My current duty issue is a glock 22. When we made the transition from sig to glock they never really gave me the option to go with the glock 17. I called today to ask if I could swap out my 22 for a 17 and they said it wouldn't be a problem. I've never been a huge fan of the 40 cal and I only own 1 (glock27). I always have 9mm on hand in the safe and I know I'll be more prone to shoot me duty weapon if it's a 9mm. Does anyone think this is a bad move? I'll sell my 27 and go get a 26 once I make the transition.

SlackJawedCajun

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    I know I'll be more prone to shoot me duty weapon if it's a 9mm.

51B2c3Se6sL._SS500_.jpg

Law1911

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    Denham Springs
    I was told if you had the .45 you automatically got the 40. I didn't really question it, but I guess I should have. I agree with you that the glock 22 just doesn't shoot good to me. I'll be glad to get the 17 and put some rounds down range

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    GREAT switch, I moved away from the 40 slowly and only kept 1 in my collection as I had put some work into it, kept 4 45's and now have 8 9mm's and they are my go to guns, even switched my carry gun to a G19 now.

tso

Observing...
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2008
    Covington
    I recently swapped my G36 for a G19 for my off duty weapon. After about 400 rounds downrange I don't have to work so hard at distance shots. Still has the factory trigger. ... haven't had the time to get the armorer to swap it out. Even with the heavy stock trigger it sweet to shoot next to that compact 45. And they are virtually the same size.

Steve

Sent from my SCH-I500

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    +1 to your switch and your tastes. The only .40 I own these days is my very first one-- a G22, no less. I never shoot it anymore.

Glocks are not easy to shoot well (in terms of what I consider "well"). There's a very narrow range of hand sizes and shapes that take to them naturally-- to big, small, thin, wide, short, fat or skinny and it takes work. In my experience, they require a lot of dedicated focus to get acceptable performance-- skills and particulars that you don't use for any other pistols, included those in the same striker fired "family". Even with the sweetest trigger on the planet, you've still got certain grip considerations (support hand thumb for me) in order to cut out the fliers.

My G17 gets shot more than any of my other pistols. Heck, knock my EDC out of the picture, and you can combine the rest and still not match the G17's steady diet. It's unforgiving to any mistake, be it a grip failure, ANY anticipation or even mild trigger slap (or pause in the press). Upping the ante with the snappy .40 only makes it more pronounced.

All of that said, I love the darn things. But if it isn't 9mm or 45, regardless of make, I'm gonna have to pass. Nothing wrong with .40 of course, it's just not my cup of tea.

alpinehyperlite

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    I enjoy the G22 over the G17. Duty G22 matched with a G27 as backup are very comfortable to me. I have the G26 as well, but like shooting of the G27 a little more. When transitioned from Sig to Glock, it was an automatic switch. If you had a Sig P220, you automatically got a G22. If you had the Sig P228 you automatically got the G17.

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    We switched everybody to G22's, I've quietly kept my personal G17. Long as they don't make me switch I'm going to keep carrying it.

alpinehyperlite

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    Can still carry personal (approved) weapons, both long gun and hand guns. They will issue the G17 if you wish to switch from the G22 (or vice versa) if one wishes.

eman2k5

Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Aug 6, 2009
    Covington, LA
    Well you got to do whats good for you( within SOP), if your more comfortable with a 17 over a 22......then do it. You never know when you might need it. If you hesitate for just a split second because its not a firearm your comfortable with, it might be too late.

Just my .02

eman2k5

Top Bottom