Good 1 or 2 Gallon Water Storage?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    What's a good 1 or 2 gallon, water-tight and rugged container? I like to keep a gallon of water in the trunk for emergency/general use. A sealed gallon jug seems like an obvious solution, but I've had two bust on me. Bless those GM engineers that designed a drain hole in the trunk. :o

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    milk jugs now days are made to biodegrade faster.. even some 2 liters breakdown..

For example, we had some left at the camp for 2 years.. when I went to move them, they actually broke into hundreds of little pieces like china..

I suggest a camelbak or something that you can throw around your back and use if you have to walk any distance..

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    If you can live with something a little larger, these military issue 20L water jugs are ruggged as hell....Hard to wear out, and mine have never leaked after years of use....

image.axd

EDIT: Overkill, I know....But I'd venture to say they're even coon-proof, if that makes any difference. :p

Last edited:

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    milk jugs now days are made to biodegrade faster.. even some 2 liters breakdown..

For example, we had some left at the camp for 2 years.. when I went to move them, they actually broke into hundreds of little pieces like china..

I suggest a camelbak or something that you can throw around your back and use if you have to walk any distance..

I have a couple Camelbaks at the house, and do keep a couple 20oz bottles of drinking water in my trunk bag. The larger containers are more general use...wound care, car overheating, etc etc so a Camelbak isn't really ideal for that. But would like it to still be drinkable if necessary. I guess what I'm looking for is something along the lines of the 5 gallon surplus fuel cans, but smaller.

sksshooter

Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    Walker, LA
    We keep a jug of water on the tractor with us and my dad also keeps a jug in his truck since his truck seems to lose water every few months. We have found either the antifreeze jugs or the jugs that juice comes in like welchs grape juice last the longest. On the tractor they still eventually get a stick through them or run over but otherwise they don't leak or just degrade.

homeslice

Be honest.
    Rating - 100%
    87   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    St. Charles Parish
    If you like the 2 liter bottle ideas, you should check out the 3 liter bottles at dollar tree. They come with soda obviously, but I've found the plastic to be thicker and cap more resilient than normal bottles.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    _I_ said lemon juice. Old Indian trick...

I have no idea what "the science" is. However, I have been doing it for 30+ years. It will keep water reasonably fresh for six months or so; after that, no guarantees.

Derp! I knew you did. No clue why I said Nomad.

Gotcha, thanks.

Tate

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    In general I'd replace water stores every 6 months. Adding bleach to water will kill any bacteria (1 teaspoon per 5 gallons, or about 10 drops per gallon)but it will also give it a less than pleasant taste (that taste beats the alternatives if the water is dirty). If you leave the bleach in the water for 30 minutes (it needs time to act) you can add some vitamin C to the water to remove the bleach and make the water taste better. For your purposes I'd just replace any unused water every 6 months and forgo the chemical treatment.

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    Liquid bleach over time loses its potency as well, Pool shock is the best shelf stable idea.. make as little or as much liquid bleach as you need with the highest percentage of Sodium hypochlorite only , not the NaOCl mixed with fungicide..

http://survivalistwiki.com/index.php?title=Chlorine
    heres some publications from the RedCross on the subject..
    http://www.redcross.org/portal/site...toid=b60461150e8ae110VgnVCM10000089f0870aRCRD

Good Idea on the juice bottles..
    lemon juice does work, but really, any acid would would.. if its was edible.

jimdana1942

oldtimer
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Sulphur, La.
    Guess I'll just catch rainwater and drink it. Of course, if I'm in the Southwest I'll drink cactus water, or melt some snow if it's winter.
    Or maybe get a camel for a pet, but how do you get the water outa the humps? Do you "milk" it out?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bruce robison
    Top Bottom