Good 1 or 2 Gallon Water Storage?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    If you're traveling out of state water is a concern. But we're in LA. Water is everywhere. Usually in places we don't want it even. I usually keep a nalgene bottle or two, a coffee filter (to keep the leaves and bugs out), and a pack of PA+ in the truck when I hit the road.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    If you're traveling out of state water is a concern. But we're in LA. Water is everywhere. Usually in places we don't want it even. I usually keep a nalgene bottle or two, a coffee filter (to keep the leaves and bugs out), and a pack of PA+ in the truck when I hit the road.

Sounds like all that stuff takes up about as much room as a couple 2-liters of water. So why go through the extra trouble? And none of that stuff would do much good if I needed to fill the radiator for example.

I do have water filtration supplies in my long-term survival stash, but I think that's a whole different ballgame than what I'm talking about in this case.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    I still feel like all this stuff is geared towards camping/wilderness survival (ie occasions it's not feasible to carry water). But as far as keeping something in the vehicle, I'm not understanding why you wouldn't just carry water, as opposed to gadgets and filters that require extra effort.

I can think of a thousand scenarios where having a couple bottles of water on hand would prove useful, possibly even life-saving. I can't think of any situations (talking about in the car/on the road) where a filter system would be more beneficial than actual water.

Spent Brass

Keeping South BR Classy
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    baton rouge
    get a brand new small gas can (mines 1.5gal). They're water tight, made of good plastic, and don't leak. Clean it well with soap and water then throw some mouth wash in there and shake it around. dump and fill it up with water. Good for at least 6 months (that I've tested.) Just make sure to mark it well or paint it so you don't confuse it with other cans.

SirIsaacNewton

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    I still feel like all this stuff is geared towards camping/wilderness survival (ie occasions it's not feasible to carry water). But as far as keeping something in the vehicle, I'm not understanding why you wouldn't just carry water, as opposed to gadgets and filters that require extra effort.

I can think of a thousand scenarios where having a couple bottles of water on hand would prove useful, possibly even life-saving. I can't think of any situations (talking about in the car/on the road) where a filter system would be more beneficial than actual water.

I carry a gallon of water in my truck however the amount of water an individual needs for a few days would probably be easier to produce in this environment then to carry/maintain all of the time. Honestly though I am more worried about drowning in this city then dying of thirst......

Leonidas

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Slidell
    Color me stupid, if you will. But has anyone tried boiling water prior to long term storage?

I, too, prefer juice containers. Many are flat sided.

Last edited:

Magpie

Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Aug 1, 2007
    Gonzales
    These are pretty cool, we have them at work for our lab chemicals.
    http://www.interempresas.net/FoodProduction/Companies-Products/Product-Container-for-liquids-Bag-in-Box-32499.html
    eu0am3oxfkcq8fk8iu29.jpg

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    The Arizona Tea jugs are quite stout; VERY thick plastic, with a sturdy screw cap. I rinse them, air dry the inside, then replace the cap and stick them is available space. This annoys the hell out of my wife.

THIS. These are many times more sturdy than a standard milk jug. They will bust if dropped on pavement- but usually don't on a softer surface. GREAT for drinking/utility water transport and storage.

And I thought I was the only one who horded these, Sir. :D

edman87k5

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 22, 2007
    Ventress, LA
    The gallOn jugs that windshield washer fluid come in are rather sturdy. I kept one under tha back seat of my truck for years without problem and it really came in handy a couple times. I also like to keep several bottles of water in my vehicles, some are more rugged than others.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    The more I think about this, the more I feel like a dumbass. Thinking with my wallet instead of my head. :rofl:

The answer was staring right at me all along, we go through tons of juice and milk around here. Ended up using a couple Lactaid gallon jugs, they are very sturdy (about the same thickness as a gas can), have a rubber seal at the mouth and a convenient shape/size.

Top Bottom