Good home first aid kit?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Neil09

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    church point, la
    Can anyone recommend a good first aid kit for home use. Mainly looking for GOOD QUALITY bandages and a good variety. Would like the basics like triple antibiotic, pain reliever, alcohol wipes, splinter picks, and other basic things. Any recommendations?

Blake74u

Enthusiast
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 10, 2010
    Pineville, Louisiana
    I don't. Mainly thinking if cuts,bruises, to prevent infections. Thanks will check them out.

If you're just wanting something small for beaux-beauxs, I'd go with this:
    http://www.amazon.com/Elite-Large-Stocked-First-Aid/dp/B003H2EODW/ref=pd_sim_hpc_16

Elite Large Fully Stocked GI First Aid Kit Contents:
    Pouch 1
    QTY ITEM
    10 5"x9" ABD Pad
    2 BleedStop Bandage
    1 Multi-Trauma Dressing 12"x30"
    1 Universal Splint 36"

Pouch 2
    QTY ITEM
    1 First Aid Quick Guide
    1 Small Flashlight w/Eye Dilation Chart
    2 Surgical Blades
    1 CPR Mask, Single Use
    1 Scissors
    2 Surgical Clamps
    1 Tweezers
    1 Probe
    1 Blade Handle
    2 Nylon filament suture, 1.5 metric
    30 Benzalkonium Chloride Antiseptic Towelettes
    15 Iodine Prep Pads, medium
    16 Alcohol Prep Pad
    1 BleedStop Bandage
    1 4.8 oz. Lidocaine Hcl Burn Spray
    1 2 oz. Ethyl Alcohol Hand Sanitizer
    1 6 oz. Calamine Lotion
    1 4 oz. Sterile Saline Eye Wash
    5 Rolls Surgical Tape, no length given
    2 Tongue Depressors
    1 Latex Tourniquet
    9 Butterfly Bandages
    10 Pad Band-Aids 1.5"x2 5/8"
    5 Small Band-Aids
    11 Gauze Pads 3"x3"

Pouch 3
    QTY ITEM
    5 Dressing Sponges 4"x4"
    ? Surgical Gloves, QTY not labeled
    2 Non-Sterile Triangular Bandages 40"x40"x56"
    1 Elastic Bandage, 6", Latex Free
    2 Pill Bottles, Empty, Childproof Caps
    1 Nurse's Stethoscope, Single Head
    12 Bandage, Elastic, Rubber Wrap Threads, 2"x4.5 yrds.

Pouch 4
    QTY ITEM
    2 Multi-Trauma Dressing 12"x30"
    2 BleedStop Bandages
    31 Benzalkonium Choride Towelettes
    6 Sting Relief Alcohol/Lidocaine Swabs
    15 Iodine Prep Pads, Medium
    16 Alchohol Prep Pads
    1 6" Elastic Bandage

Pouch 5
    QTY ITEM
    100 Cotton Tipped Applicators (Q-Tips)
    1 Multi-Trauma Dressing 12"x 30"
    4 Instant Ice Compress Packs
    120 3/4" Curad Band-Aids

Puouch 6
    QTY ITEM
    3 Multi-Trauma Dressings 12"x30"

The key thing to remember about the smaller "first aid kits" is that most of the ones out on the market are GARBAGE. If you're looking for SHTF, go with the Stomp with suggested extras. If looking for something handy to get you through a hurricane with minimal first aid training, then go with the above.

Blake74u

Enthusiast
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 10, 2010
    Pineville, Louisiana
    I'm saying this as an ex-Army Combat Medic. (Both Active and LA ARNG). I am of the opinion that very citizen in this State SHOULD have as much $ invested into medical supplies as they do firearms.

I admit to my bias.

JBE

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 1, 2010
    Welsh, LA
    I'm saying this as an ex-Army Combat Medic. (Both Active and LA ARNG). I am of the opinion that very citizen in this State SHOULD have as much $ invested into medical supplies as they do firearms.

I admit to my bias.

Useless without appropriate training though...Does no good to have an expensive kit if you don't have the knowledge to use what's inside of it.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Instead of buying a premade one, I would recommend building your own with everything you need and know how to use. You will save a lot of money this way and buying in bulk is cheaper and gets you more stuff. Amazon is a good place to start.

Blake74u

Enthusiast
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 10, 2010
    Pineville, Louisiana
    Instead of buying a premade one, I would recommend building your own with everything you need and know how to use. You will save a lot of money this way and buying in bulk is cheaper and gets you more stuff. Amazon is a good place to start.

Assuming that Shipping and Handling doesn't eat you alive. I'd recommend Amazon Prime.

Remember: He's gotta know what all he's buying. It might be best for him to purchase pre-made and then a good book on Survival Medicine.

Blake74u

Enthusiast
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 10, 2010
    Pineville, Louisiana
    Useless without appropriate training though...Does no good to have an expensive kit if you don't have the knowledge to use what's inside of it.
    You're absolutely right; however, it doesn't take an EMT Basic to operate either a King - LT, Israeli Bandage, or a Tourniquet. (-; Hell, I'd even wager that a determined "Prepper" could even start up a quick line of LR if push comes to shove.

Robbie

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   1
    Nov 8, 2011
    Elmwood, LA 70123
    I like the IV idea, yes I have training in that - But where do I get that from?
    How long is the "bag" good for?

Last edited:

doc ace

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Pineville/Deville
    Stock a kit yourself. Band aids, bacitracin or neosporin, alcohol pads, ace wraps, 4x4s, 2x2s, Kurlex, iodine pads, liquid stitches, trauma scissors. You'll come out with more **** you actually need rather than a bunch of expensive fluff. You can buy it all at the pharmacy.

Blake74u

Enthusiast
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 10, 2010
    Pineville, Louisiana
    I like the I V idea, yes I have training in that - But where do I get that from?

Here's something that's going to make most medical professionals cringe: Veterinarian Supply Companies. It's a well-known fact by most Preppers that you can find both IV Supplies and Antibiotics from there.

Unless you frequent flea markets in Southern Texas....

Google is your friend. (-;

Blake74u

Enthusiast
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 10, 2010
    Pineville, Louisiana
    I like the I V idea, yes I have training in that - But where do I get that from?

There should be an expiration date on the IV Bag. A good one should last 1.5 years. You can use one 6 months past the expiration date if it's been in room temp storage. (At your own risk... )

Blake74u

Enthusiast
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 10, 2010
    Pineville, Louisiana
    Stock a kit yourself. Band aids, bacitracin or neosporin, alcohol pads, ace wraps, 4x4s, 2x2s, Kurlex, iodine pads, liquid stitches, trauma scissors. You'll come out with more **** you actually need rather than a bunch of expensive fluff. You can buy it all at the pharmacy.

The caveat to that is that the prestocked ones often come with both CAT 4s, Kwik Clot (or Combat Gauze), and Israeli Bandages at a reasonable price when you total up the contents purchased separately.

Don't exactly see Wally-world, CVS, Walgreens, etc., carrying Israeli Bandages bro. Just say'n.

Blake74u

Enthusiast
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 10, 2010
    Pineville, Louisiana
    Oh, and since you're sporting a military pic... I'm sure you can appreciate this: Amazon.com was often utilized by Units overseas when fundage for Aid Stations got tight 2008-2009. It was often easier to order "the fluff" as Class VI, instead of waiting for approval by higher for Class VIII.

doc ace

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Pineville/Deville
    Yeah but any tactical shop sells them, and the ones that work, newer technology, and you can discuss with a person firsthand about effectiveness, what works well and what doesn't; and if you need more you just hop into the ol vehicle and get some more. You don't have to wait 3-5 days or pay for shipping.

I highly suggest those of you intending on stocking kits with Combat Tourniquets and Israeli Bandages to learn from the In-Extremis Med Class with Nate and the men of Advantage Group. They will show you and demonstrate the many ways to apply these life saving interventions, properly and effectively.

Top Bottom