Got a Visit From The BTF Yesterday

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    The Brown Truck of Fun came to see me yesterday, and when it left I ripped into the boxes like a kid at Christmas. One of the members here, a real bastard named Barnside :D turned me on to a place where I could get 150 year old rifles. These came from Kathmandu, and had lain in a Nepalese palace since the British wars of Empire in the 1800s. The rifles below are two British Martini-Henrys, a Gehendra-Henry, and two Snider-Enfields. I have managed to clean the long Snider-Enfield to show what's beneath the Yak grease and brick-dust of a century. I think I have all I want from the cache, so I'm showing it to you.

This one is a "Cleaned and Restored" 1877 Martini-Henry.

PA274101.jpg

PA274118.jpg

The next rifle is an uncleaned "Untouched" Martini-Henry. Frankly, aside from the split in the buttstock I think the untouched rifle is in better condition. It was also $300 cheaper.

PA274093.jpg

PA274097.jpg

This one is a Gehendra-Henry, a Nepalese-manufactured version of the Peabody rifle.

PA274100-1.jpg

and the writing on the receiver of the Gehendra:

PA274112.jpg

And here are the two Sniders and the untouched Martini-Henry. Notice the short Snider is not cleaned while I've done the initial cleaning of the long Snider. It looks pretty good under all that grime, don't you think?

PA274086.jpg

Close-up of the Snider "receiver" cleaned.

PA274091.jpg

PA274099.jpg

Me, I'm a bit partial to the Sniders, because they played such a pivotal part of firearms development. The rifle is a converted P-1853 musket. They cut off the back of the barrel, and made a breech that hinges open up and to the right. A bullet is inserted, the breech closed and latched, then the rifle can be fired. There is no extractor. The firing pin sits where the percussion nipple was on the P-53, so not much modification needed to be done there. The Martini-Henry supplanted this rifle, bit I think it's a really ingenious design - from the 1860s.

Anyway, it looks like I have my work cut out for me cleaning all these beautiful museum pieces. I may actually refinish one, but I haven't decided yet. I have two P53's on the way and two Brunswick muskets. I can't wait. And thanks Barnside for showing me this stuff.

Last edited:

barnside

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Bastard? Ah, the cruelest cut of them all...
    Actually, it took My-Rifle about 3 seconds before he started ordering.
    I don't have pictures yet, but I now have a Snider short rifle that cost about $250, and two Martini-Henrys, circa 1874 that cost about $300 delivered. All cleaned up in a hour or so, with excellent actions and bores.

My-Rifle didn't tell you WHERE they are for sell.

Here are the websites of the two businesses that are selling the Nepal
    Cache weapons:

http://www.atlantacutlery.com/c-88-antique-militaria.aspx

ima-usa.com

Until December 31st, Atlanta Cutlery is having a 20% off sale on all
    of its Nepal weapons. The discount code is KTE

Here's some Youtube videos on the deal:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fb9UVyPN6rY[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDWWH6qSpeY[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwA8UVmGG7w[/ame]

I will try to post some photos later.

Barnside

isest r

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    3 seconds? Did it take that long?

I spoke to Alex Cranmer at length last week. He sent me an email, and included his cell phone number, so I used it. He's Christian's son. What an interesting story. He was in Nepal when they were making the deal and when they were getting the stuff out, and he said it was really amazing that the stuff got out at all. They made the deal with some people in the ruling administration, but the rulers change so frequently that a deal struck with one person might not be respected a month later when someone else comes in.

After dealing with Atlanta Cutlerty and IMA, I think I'm going to deal just with IMA from now on. It's worth the extra $100 to be sure you're getting the right stuff. AC shorted me a sword/bayonet for my Brunswick smoothbore, and my call to them has not yet produced a bayonet. It's a really cool bayonet too.

Anyway, how many copies of "Treasure is Where You Find It" do you have now, Barnside? I'm up to six copies. :eek5: but I swear: This is IT!

<edit>Atlanta Cutlery finally came through with the bayonet. It's an early-pattern Brunswick bayonet, and its blade is a lot heavier and stiffer than the later-pattern bayonet. The later model bends easily while the early one is more springy. Unfortunately it's rusted to hell and gone.<edit>

Last edited:

WILDCATT

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    MANNING SC
    rust

harbor freight has a product they call "evapo rust"I bought a gallon $19.95. product #96431. it takes rust off with out touching the steel.I used it on a S&W break action and was amazed. next my swiss 1881. non toxic.

Top Bottom