Got another!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • peterf225

Rating - 100%
    126   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Prairieville
    I went hunting with my father-in-law today and shot a 120lb spike. #2 for this year.

Hope everyone else had a good time today.

Last edited:

peterf225

Rating - 100%
    126   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Prairieville
    How about some details about what you shot it with, where, and how the bullet performed?

I was shooting my rem 700 243win loaded with 95gr ballistic silvertips. Talk about explosive, the shot was a little far back due to having to rush it but it took out the liver and lungs. I am hunting at my FIL camp north of Liverpool.

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    Peter, have you not read the past post? You know 243 is a bad deer round. :rofl: Congrats. Did you get the new atv?

Not a bad round at all. I just don't think it is a good choice for a beginner.

Peter's shot illustrates why I believe the chest is better than the neck. There is room for error. Even with an admittedly less than perfect shot, it went through the liver. The liver is as good as the heart. Lots of blood loss in short order.

Congrats on the deer. Did the bullet exit or did you recover it?

peterf225

Rating - 100%
    126   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Prairieville
    Not a bad round at all. I just don't think it is a good choice for a beginner.

Peter's shot illustrates why I believe the chest is better than the neck. There is room for error. Even with an admittedly less than perfect shot, it went through the liver. The liver is as good as the heart. Lots of blood loss in short order.

Congrats on the deer. Did the bullet exit or did you recover it?

The bullet did exit but it looked like a bomb went off inside the deer. The liver and lungs were just destoyed.

If I have to make a hurry up shot it will be a chest shot. Only time a neck or head shot would be taken is when the deer is calm and feeding and I have enough time to make the shot, other than that a chest shot 100% of the time. I also don't like shooting through the shoulders as I don't like wasting that much meat.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom