Got Meat!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CajunTim

Premium CoonAss Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 19, 2006
    Mandeville, LA
    So after spending Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, spent time with the family Thursday then back in the woods this morning I got one. Not to mention the time I put in during November and December I finally got one.

When I deer hunt I am a space cadet, day dreamer, thinking, game planning, budgetting in my head etc... so I rely a lot on my ears while I am thinking. Plus where I hunt I have a left, right and straight ahead that I overlook on trails so I cant see it all. So at 7:10 this morning I heard something and figured it was a rabbit since it was real quiet. I look up and there is this spike 30 feet from me and facing me. He sees me and there is two trees between us. I slide to the right out of view got my rifle up and at the ready slid back to the left and shot him in the chest while he was looking at me. He did a 360 in place fell on his back kicked once or twice and was done. That .308 150 corelokt is no joke coming out of my 26" barrel. It destroyed a lot of meat though:( one of the hind quarters was blood shot I salvaged as much as I could. Dropped half of him off deboned at DD's in Bogalusa the other deboned is going to Mabile's in LaPlace, backstraps are going to the inlaws. I didnt find the bullet but assume it was in his innards and I through all that away. I gave the hide to a guy who is learning how to tan using the oil out of the animals head. He says there is enough oil in all mammals heads to tan it's own skin.

I know he is small but I was getting desperate and we shoot any and all deer anyways at this location to do the community a favor. He was shot in Mandeville. It took me over an hour to drag his ass out the woods. I need a four wheeler.

I know I should have dressed up for ya'll, that I need a better branch to hang them from

CASH003-1.jpg

Last edited:

Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    I know he is small but I was getting desperate and we shoot any and all deer anyways at this location to do the community a favor. He was shot in Mandeville. It took me over an hour to drag his ass out the woods. I need a four wheeler.

Congrats Tim!

If you need any assistance in "doing the community favors", lemme know ;)

CajunTim

Premium CoonAss Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 19, 2006
    Mandeville, LA
    Here is his hide that I gave to the guy I work with. You have to bear with me as this is only the second deer I have ever shot and the first animal I skinned all on my own. I am just getting stable enough in my life where I have time to hunt etc... Oh yeah I threw him in the back of my civic to get him home:rofl:
    CASH004.jpg

bhunt261

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2008
    Central Community
    Tim, if you haven't frozen the meat yet... Take it all and ice it down, Heavily. Each day, drain the water, turn the meat in the ice chest and add new ice. Never let the ice/water combination get less than 50/50. This process makes the meat so much better to eat. It takes out a lot of the "wild" taste and helps to tenderize it some. I have kept mine on the ice water mixture for up to week with no problems. Just don't let it get low on ice, period. Have questions, drop me a pm. Congratulations and Enjoy...

CajunTim

Premium CoonAss Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 19, 2006
    Mandeville, LA
    It is all deboned right now.

Half went to DDs for mild green onion sausage 50/50, they closed at 3 today and are closed on the weekend I go back to work Monday so I had to get it to them today

the straps(they are 18" at least they are pretty freakin huge at least compared to what I seen) and tenderloins are going to my father-n-law(that is the only thing I have over by brother n law is that I hunt and fish and give him game:rofl:)

The rest is going to Mabiles for Italian sausage loose for spaghetti and lasagna (this is on ice as you described) probably 66% pork

Top Bottom