Government Discrimination against CHP Holders

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!

King of D Open
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    Vieux Carre
    Superintendent Ronal Serpas of the NOPD and District Attorney Leon Cannizzaro held a meeting ths evening to discuss the state of crime in the city. The meeeting was held at Touro Synagogue and the synagogue will be hosting future meetings as well.

The New Orleans Police Department has monthly NONPAC metings with the public which, except for the 8th District which encompasses the French Quarter and CBD, are held at the Police District Sation. This is also the case for the weekly COMSTAT meetings which the public is encouraged to attend.

When community meetings are held outside the District Station, they invariably seem to be held in Churches, synagogues or schools.

All of these locations are off limits to CHP holders who have a CCW with them. One's choice is either not to attend or to leave the CCW elsewhere. This means that the CHP holder is effectively denied the ability to protect themselves if they choose to participate in their community's safety meetings.

It is a well documented fact that Louisiana CHP holders are against crime yet they are being excluded from participation in providing feedback and discussing issues with the appropriate managers such as the Superintendant or District Attorney unless they give up their right to protect themselves going to and returning from the meeting.

I also can't walk into the District Station to report a crime, fill out a report, socalize with LEO's who I know, or spend a day every couple of weeks doing fund raising for the District.

I spoke with Superintendent Serpas last week at an 8th District Crime Meeting which was held at a hotel and he was not aware of or knowledgable about the restrictions placed on CHP holders.

How about LSA asking for legislation to address these issues.

1. CHP allowed in a Church, etc. when the facility is being used for a public, non-religeous government sponsored activity or meeting.

2. Same as above for a school.

3. CHP allowed in a Police building with the written permission of the commanding officer.

- or -

as an alternative, a law requiring that certain public meetings be held at a facility that is not CHP restricted. I'm not suggesting CCW in the Legislature, just open public meetings.

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    While I can agree with concealed means concealed a church perhaps, it is irresponsible to suggest going into a police department or school while armed for a variety of obvious reasons. However that does not answer the importance of the real issue. Why must a CHP holder be denied public community interaction?

Half of our rights we have today as CHP holders are because we pushed forward with our 2A. If we sat on our asses and said concealed means concealed, we probably would be able to carry in less places than we can now. It's not the answer. Or it shouldn't be in this particular case.

The real issue is we should be allowed to carry just about anywhere, federal buildings excluded. These parade, state parks, restaurant with bar debates shouldn't even exist.

I don't think you're going to get it changed for schools or PDs. But fighting to have town hall meetings at Town Hall or other community conference halls would only be fair.

Last edited:

f350drvr

Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    NOLA
    As strained as the budget is for NOPD and the City of NO, do you expect them to pay for a space to hold these meetings when they have facilities that are adequate?

It's obvious that this is not a plot to single out CCW holders. Do you really think you are going to need your CCW in one of the district stations?

King of D Open
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    Vieux Carre
    As strained as the budget is for NOPD and the City of NO, do you expect them to pay for a space to hold these meetings when they have facilities that are adequate?

It's obvious that this is not a plot to single out CCW holders. Do you really think you are going to need your CCW in one of the district stations?

No I don't need it in a District Station. I do need it when walking to and from it though.

I don't expect them to pay for meeting space.

Just because the space that's used for the meeting has a primary purpose that is different than the meeting and is a CHP restricted space, it's use and purpose changes for the meeting. The Church building that is used for the meeting in not being used as a place of worship or religeous activity, but as an 'open to the public' meeting hall. Same for school, Police Station, etc.

Last edited:

herohog

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Shreveport, LA
    Concealed means concealed
    = Break the law, be a criminal.

It is the some of the worst advice given on these forums and makes us all look like we advocate breaking the law if we don't like it. Bad all the way around! The ONLY time it makes sense is when you CAN LEGALLY carry concealed and are operating under those rules PERIOD!

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods

My understanding of New Awlins is that it is extremely anti- anybody- else with- a- gun in the police dept.

I don't see anything obvious for discrimination or against.

Would seem to me that with the crime that city has they would cater to legal gun packers in the hopes they could be eyes and ears or even deterrent.

1A and 2A have this in common, they are all inclusive in their original form but have been hijacked by powers that be over time, we the people aren't likely to get back any of the hijacked parts back so I'd say fight at every turn to keep what we have, including making an issue of these meetings held where CHP holders can't go armed.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    It they're not intentionally discriminating against CHP holders, there's really no need for us to become a whiny special interest group like the rest of em.

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    Cat woke up on the right side of this debate. :)

Or the tin foil side. :D

I just didn't think "concealed means concealed" was an appropriate response to something like this. Particularly when dealing with very specific buildings, but also generally speaking.

It may not be on purpose. I agree, many places use church reception halls and school auditoriums simply because they can efficiently hold a large group. Doesn't mean we need to break out the picket lines just yet. This may or may not be one of those situations. I only spoke up because it's more important to push for inclusion than it is to hide in the shadows. Rolling over hurts us and our first response shouldn't be "concealed means concealed" in terms of where we are legally allowed to go.

Top Bottom