GPS vs Radar

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    I'll say the radar since it is calibrated and tested. GPS also seems to be pretty accurate, but they tend to lag a bit and I'm not sure if they have an accuracy standard they are required to meet.

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    There are a lot of factors that determine the accuracy of radar. Any other vehicles, especially larger vehicles around/behind you going different speeds can alter the reading. Also radar needs to be calibrated, a lazy officer may not have calibrated it in awhile.

And it would also depend on the GPS unit itself - GPS can be dead on accurate but at the same time on an unclear day or with a particularly slow or odd unit there can be delay or an incorrect speed shown. The global positioning satellites are arguably more consistent than most anything else though.

Edit: I am by no means trying to imply or suggest that all or most or a great many officers are "lazy." :ninja: Everyone has a bad day.

Last edited:

Jed

Bloody Foreigner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    Clearwater Beach, FL
    My point is, the trooper/cop has the gun, the badge and the law on his side.
    As Nolacop said in another thread, all he is doing is recording the information so that you get your say in court.
    I know the OP isn't suggesting he would, but I would love to witness a "your radar is wrong and my GPS is right" argument with a pissed off trooper.

Bobcat32

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    Lake Charles
    I'll say the radar since it is calibrated and tested. GPS also seems to be pretty accurate, but they tend to lag a bit and I'm not sure if they have an accuracy standard they are required to meet.

Really ? lol ANd how often is it calibrated and tested ,,yearly? bi yearly,,monthly ,,weekly.I know when it is suppose to be done.Im curious as to how often you will say it is done :)

Leadfoot

Low Speed High Drag
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Livingston Parish
    Bobcat, why are you still here?

I keep thinking that one day you will contribute something meaningful to at least one conversation but I've given up hope and just don't believe its gonna happen.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    There are a lot of factors that determine the accuracy of radar. Any other vehicles, especially larger vehicles around/behind you going different speeds can alter the reading. Also radar needs to be calibrated, a lazy officer may not have calibrated it in awhile.

And it would also depend on the GPS unit itself - GPS can be dead on accurate but at the same time on an unclear day or with a particularly slow or odd unit there can be delay or an incorrect speed shown. The global positioning satellites are arguably more consistent than most anything else though.

FYI...officers do not calibrate radars. that would allow for officer malfeasance. Radars are serviced by a technician once per year or two depending on the brand. They are checked for calibration via tuning forks, but if they are off, there is nothing the officer can do to fix them. I guess unless he was too lazy to go through the manufacturer's technician course you would be right, and lets face it, most cops are too lazy to do that. ;)

By MOST departmental policies and in accordance with every radar / lidar school I have been to, the standard as expected by the courts is that the user verify calibration via tuning forks at the beginning and end of their shift. A log is to be kept which can be subpoenaed in court. If the test shows a reading outside of the tolerances for that unit, then the unit should be turned in for service.

keep in mind, that the radar does not make the ticket. The ticket is based off of the officers trained estimation of your speed. The radar only confirms it. There are many ways to get a speeding ticket without a radar. i have done them all that I am aware of, and they all stuck, though RADAR / LIDAR is the most popular and while not legally required is becoming an expectation of the court.

Secondly, GPS is far from DEAD on accurate. Civilian GPS is legally only accurate with 10-20meters give or take. Military GPS is a lot closer, typically within 1-5 meters. And that is by design without counting environmental factors, differences in manufacturers, etc and military interference if you happen to be near a military installation or other protected area. the military can and does control the "accuracy" of GPS satellittes.

I know you meant well, but this is a perfect example of someone who has no real knowledge about a subject and simply pulls information out of their ass based on what they "think sounds right." Nothing you posted is true, and had you ever been trained or even used a radar unit in a police capacity, you would know that. We all have something to add to the forum, but it is instances like this where people speak outside of their actual knowledge base and it only confuses the issue. Again, I am sure you meant well, but you are no where near being correct on anything you posted.

Not digging on you per se, but it is just a great example.

In order of accuracy for speed....

LIDAR
    RADAR
    GPS

Last edited:

Bobcat32

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    Lake Charles
    Bobcat, why are you still here?

I keep thinking that one day you will contribute something meaningful to at least one conversation but I've given up hope and just don't believe its gonna happen.

I have probably been here longer than you.I remember when I didn't see your name on any posts.I have often pondered the same thing about you contributing!!Once again you have wondered from the subject in order to malice against someone.I thought they had mods for such people:( Your a funny man.Just don't quit your whatever job you have.Comedy club is not hiring anyone with your capabilities at this time:(

Anywayyy ,,SO your saying(NOLA) We could possibly get out of paying a ticket if we asked the officer with the radar to tests it and it failed?
    The reason I ask is a friend of mine was explaining to me about the testing and so forth of who actually could even write a ticket legally.Thanks NOLA

Last edited:

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    FYI...officers do not calibrate radars. that would allow for officer malfeasance. Radars are serviced by a technician once per year or two depending on the brand. They are checked for calibration via tuning forks, but if they are off, there is nothing the officer can do to fix them. I guess unless he was too lazy to go through the manufacturer's technician course you would be right, and lets face it, most cops are too lazy to do that. ;)

By MOST departmental policies and in accordance with every radar / lidar school I have been to, the standard as expected by the courts is that the user verify calibration via tuning forks at the beginning and end of their shift. A log is to be kept which can be subpoenaed in court. If the test shows a reading outside of the tolerances for that unit, then the unit should be turned in for service.

keep in mind, that the radar does not make the ticket. The ticket is based off of the officers trained estimation of your speed. The radar only confirms it. There are many ways to get a speeding ticket without a radar. i have done them all that I am aware of, and they all stuck, though RADAR / LIDAR is the most popular and while not legally required is becoming an expectation of the court.

Secondly, GPS is far from DEAD on accurate. Civilian GPS is legally only accurate with 10-20meters give or take. Military GPS is a lot closer, typically within 1-5 meters. And that is by design without counting environmental factors, differences in manufacturers, etc and military interference if you happen to be near a military installation or other protected area. the military can and does control the "accuracy" of GPS satellittes.

I know you meant well, but this is a perfect example of someone who has no real knowledge about a subject and simply pulls information out of their ass based on what they "think sounds right." Nothing you posted is true, and had you ever been trained or even used a radar unit in a police capacity, you would know that. We all have something to add to the forum, but it is instances like this where people speak outside of their actual knowledge base and it only confuses the issue. Again, I am sure you meant well, but you are no where near being correct on anything you posted.

Not digging on you per se, but it is just a great example.

In order of accuracy for speed....

LIDAR
    RADAR
    GPS

My "calibrate" vs your "verify calibration via tuning forks," sounds like a semantics argument to me. I gave the general idea, you gave the specifics as you are an actual popo.

My "dead on" vs your "within 10-20m or 1-5m," sounds like a semantics argument to me. By your definition, nothing could ever be dead-on accurate. To me, within several meters accurate from a few objects orbiting in outer space is pretty much dead-on accurate.

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    My "calibrate" vs your "verify calibration via tuning forks," sounds like a semantics argument to me. I gave the general idea, you gave the specifics as you are an actual popo.

My "dead on" vs your "within 10-20m or 1-5m," sounds like a semantics argument to me. By your definition, nothing could ever be dead-on accurate. To me, within several meters accurate from a few objects orbiting in outer space is pretty much dead-on accurate.

It's not semantics. You stated that a lazy officer may not have calibrated his radar unit in a while.

It insinuates that a radar reading is based on an untrained officer's actions. Not so, radars are calibrated yearly by a trained professional and certified upon his completion. Checking it before shift is merely something an officer can testify to in court. As far as getting calibrated, it's not up to the officer. At my dept, your unit HAD BETTER be there on calibration day, even if it falls on your day off. The officer being lazy does not affect the calibration process.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA

The lazy office did not check his oil is not the same as the mechanic failed to put the right oil in. Come on man....keep it real.

Not trying to get in a pissing match man, but the semantics excuse is weak. I wish you would have just said you were wrong instead of trying to save face......

GO back and read what you posted. "DEAD on accurate" is pretty specific. It implies exact = dead on. Also, when you made reference to a "lazy officer", you were intending to say exactly what you said, that the officer was too lazy to calibrate it because you wrongly thought that was how it worked.

I will let you ride the semantics train, but we all know what you meant, it is right there in black and white. It is noble to admit you are wrong, but don't tarnish it with a ******** excuse about semantics.

;)

All that matters is that it has been cleared up. Or the clearing up has been verified. Either way, it is just semantics.
    :cheers:

Last edited:

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Nolacop is correct in his statements. I am a RADAR/LIDAR instructor. Anyone tell me what radar/LIDAR stands for? GPS is a helpful tool but not as accurate

Top Bottom