Grill recommendations

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    I need a new grill. I need recommendations. I don’t wanna break the bank, but I’d like a decent gas grill. I do like ones with heavy grates (that don’t lose their heat when you drop a steak on them) and I prefer ones with bricks in them to distribute the heat, but that’s not a requirement.
    1...2....3... go....

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    If you want something that will last more than 1-2 seasons, hard to beat a weber genesis. The spirit is ok to me, but I prefer more burners. If you want something cheap, it's hard to beat the charbroil 4 burner grill, but it will rust out at the bottom after about 2 years or so.

tallwalker

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Covington, LA
    I have had this same grill for about 5 years. Bought it when they were on sale for the 4th of July weekend. The gas controls are still working great but the burners rotted away pretty quickly. Piezo ignition gave up after a couple of months but seems like they all do. Bottom is rusting out. Other than that it is still in good enough shape to buy parts for and rebuild it so I hate throwing it away. Just not worth it. For under $200 I got a lot for my money in five years so will probably just buy another one. I have other charcoal pits that do all the hard stuff. Propane is just a quick convenience for me so worth it.

Always wondered about the grill mats. I'll try them!

Robbie

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   1
    Nov 8, 2011
    Elmwood, LA 70123
    Academy - Outdoor Gourmet.
    Have had for 3 years now, had to replace the heat shields via eBay.
    Put parts for grills are cheap and available.

Saintsfan6

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 6, 2014
    Texas
    Black stone griddle is what I went with. You can everything you can do with a gas grill and more. Gas grills don't give the meat the flavor a charcoal grill does so I figured I would prefer this. Don't regret it at all. Can cook hibachi, burgers, steaks, breakfast, you name it. You can also buy a grill top for this unit for ~$80 on amazon.

I went with the smaller one for $150 delivered to my door for free with amazon prime.

https://www.amazon.com/Blackstone-Outdoor-Grill-Griddle-Station/dp/B00DYN0438

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    I bought one of these this year. They were on sale at Lowe's for July 4th. Very happy with it. No charcoal but good heavy grates that hold the heat. No complaints.

Explain this grill mat thing to me...

https://www.amazon.com/Aoocan-Grill...UTF8&qid=1506393459&sr=1-4&keywords=grill+mat

Pretty much this. I have some similar, Typically only use it for fragile fish or vegetables that may fall through the grates. If "clean" grates is what you are looking for, this works great, can even get some sear marks. But I prefer going straight on the grate.

Marlin

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2015
    Baton Rouge
    Yeah if you are on a budget, Academy is probably your best bet, they have plenty of choices. If I were you I'd save up and get the Egg! You won't regret it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Vigilante Sniper

Guns are my crack!!
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    LaPlace
    I have a Weber gas grill, its 4 years old but I will be replacing the heat shields soon. Only issue has been regulator which I have to beat on every once in a while. My next grill will be a Rec Tec wood pellet grill. You can get a 40# bag of pellets for grilling at Tractor Supply for $5.97 instead of $20-37 dollars off Amazon or elsewhere. They give your true barbecue flavor and have great reviews. Not cheap $899 but my Weber was $800. Avoid the ones sold at Costco by Taeger.
    http://www.rectecgrills.com/?utm_so...word=rec tec&gclid=CNmYw4bSwtYCFZ66wAod6F8GzQ

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    I've had a Charbroil Commercial for about 10 years now. After the first couple of years I upgraded to GrillGrates (best accessory ever) and got a couple Teflon mats (second best accessory).
    I've replaced all of the burners twice and the heat shield once.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy another, but by the time it will have to be replaced I doubt they will be made the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

wcweir3

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Gonzales, LA
    I got my Weber Genesis in 2006 and it is still the best. I also got a Charbroil in 2012 it is falling apart, I got it to replace the Weber LOL
    Wingate

Tanker

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 11, 2015
    Metairie, Louisana
    I'm jumping in late! I've had expensive grills, some moderately priced grills, and some cheap ones. My experience has been that I haven't gotten the longevity or performance from higher priced models that one would expect from spending more $. Last 2 I've bought have been <$200. First one lasted 2 years. I bought a Nexgrill for $199 about 5 months and it puts out serious heat. My buddy liked mine so much he bought one too. I like to grill steak at HIGH temps. The Nexgrill meets me expectations.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    I got this for a safety award.I now use it for junk stuff
    For you SVT 150.00 propane bottle not included

Attachments

• IMAG01020.jpg
      IMAG01020.jpg
      236.3 KB · Views: 58
    Top Bottom