Gun Control Bills.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    WASHINGTON—The House passed a pair of gun-control bills that were blocked in the last Congress, a priority for Democratic leaders frustrated by years of little success on the issue amid broad Republican opposition.

The vote was 227 to 203 on a measure to expand background checks to nearly all gun sales. Eight Republicans supported the bill, while one Democrat opposed it.

The House separately voted to extend the window for background checks to 10 days from three days, giving law-enforcement authorities more time to vet individuals before they can buy guns. The vote was 219-210, also mostly along party lines, with two Republicans voting in favor and two Democrats against.

Both gun measures passed the House in 2019, after Democrats regained control of the chamber in the midterm elections, but languished in the Senate when then-Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R., Ky.) declined to schedule votes.

The legislation’s prospects in the now Democratic-controlled Senate are uncertain, but the effort could provide more momentum to the party’s effort to change the rules in the closely divided chamber to make it easier to pass bills.

“We know what we need to do to help protect millions of Americans,” said Rep. Mark DeSaulnier (D., Calif.). “I proudly support these bills because evidence is clear that they will make our communities safer and save lives.”

Republican opponents said that the gun bills would impose bureaucratic burdens on law-abiding gun owners without addressing the avenues through which guns fall into the hands of people who misuse weapons.

Opponents also fear that background checks are aimed at establishing a national registry that the federal government could later use to take guns away from gun owners, though the legislation prohibits the creation of a national registry.

“This bill creates a de facto gun registry by involving the federal government in every gun transfer, including private transfers and gifts, or else how will we enforce these requirements?” said Rep. Bob Good (R., Va.) “For my Democrat friends who suggest that conservatives and gun owners are paranoid about a national registry, you bet we are.”

House Democrats, emboldened by their new control of Congress and the White House, have been on a legislative tear following the inauguration of President Biden one and a half months ago, with votes on contentious bills on policing, voting rights and now guns. Narrow majorities in both the House and the Senate are motivating House Democrats to pass as much as they can as quickly as they can, though many of the bills face long odds in the Senate.

Also driving momentum was an internal rule covering House procedures that delays until April 1 a requirement that legislation be subject to a hearing and committee vote. With that deadline weeks away, Democrats have rushed to the floor measures that passed last year, including the voting-rights and policing measures, without taking time to put the measure through normal committee procedures and to let new members weigh in.

Passing the bills in quick succession could also put pressure on the Senate, where some Democrats want to change the chamber’s procedures to clear up what they view as a bottleneck that has stopped their legislation. Many Democrats have discussed changing or eliminating the 60-vote threshold, known as the filibuster, needed to advance most legislation. The support of all 50 senators in the Democratic camp would be required to change the rule, and several have said they don’t back such a step.

The two gun bills up for a vote deal with different aspects of gun ownership. One measure would mark the most significant gun-control measure in decades by requiring buyers to be vetted for almost all private sales online and at gun shows, and make it illegal to transfer and give guns to friends or family members or in other private transactions without going through background checks and complying with record-keeping requirements. Currently, federal laws require the checks only for sales by federally licensed dealers, though some states have added their own requirements.

The other would lengthen to 10 business days from three the amount of time firearms transactions could be delayed while awaiting a completed background check through the National Instant Criminal Background Check System. The FBI-operated system performs queries to determine whether a buyer is disqualified from owning a gun.

lesgeaux

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Oct 18, 2009
    Marrero, LA
    You guys are right. To promote that the citizens in each of the states that are concerned for their constitutional rights, put into action Recall Petitions on the Congress members that vote for such bills to become law, would be rude.

roll_tide

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2021
    Pineville, LA.
    You guys are right. To promote that the citizens in each of the states that are concerned for their constitutional rights, put into action Recall Petitions on the Congress members that vote for such bills to become law, would be rude.

Sorry but you missed the the point. We are not advocating citizens not to contact their representatives to vote against such bills. We are saying that we are not advocating for citizens to skirt or break laws once the bills become law if they do. There is a big difference. ;)

Forgotten

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 30, 2016
    Lafayette, LA
    [h=2]Second Amendment[/h]
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms shall not be infringed

Slalom.45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    I have e mailed both of our Louisiana senators. I also have started e mailing out of state senators. They may ignore me, but I got responses. My appeal is as a US citizen asking them to protect our civil rights. Also to avoid changing the filibuster rule in the senate so we have some sense of stability. If you have some time I ask you to do the same. Especially Sen's Manchin and Sinema. (also Cassidy as he seems to be turning...)

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    Democrats need to check with their voters. I don't think their voters are as anti-gun as they used to be.

I hope so. Unfortunately, the culture war perpetuated by many in the gun community drives potential 2A practitioners away.

The 2nd Amendment is a right of the citizens of the USA, not just Republicans. We need to cultivate all potential supporters and quit using it to divide.

I've had quite a few people seriously ask me about buying their first firearm. If I constantly referred to them as traitors or libtards, they likely wouldn't have asked for help.

Core

Salt
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Maine
    "Progressive" policies are crashing and burning in the areas where they adopted by leadership. Portland is a good example of what happens when Democrats coddle anarchists: it's just going to get worse. Murder is up 2000% well done Portland leadership.. Oh and the border crisis/emergency/disaster that's not happening according to the MSM as FEMA and troops mobilize to the border.. :deadhorse:

The way I see it the media is the biggest threat to free people in this nation. They suppress the truth, they removed open comments, they censor social media. Until we get the news back and media gets out of the propaganda business we are sliding down a slippery slope. At some point we may have to draw a line and take action against media conglomerates for their political agendas. In addition ALL leadership needs to be re-called for stomping on our rights. There are Repubs and Dems pushing unconstitutional legislation.

Top Bottom