Gun in car in MS/Alabama?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Anybody know about carrying firearms in a vehicle in other states? I know MS and Alabama allow me to carry concealed, but what about shotguns/rifles? What about pistols that aren't on my person? Do they have to be unloaded/cased and locked?

I'm assuming Florida won't be an issue...

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I was going to try there first, but their site is down... I thought maybe some of the regulars had already checked on this. We were talking about going to Gulf Shores in the near future.

nikolai

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Houston, TX
    I know this is old, but what was the conclusion that you came to? I am also concerned about driving through MS and AL with a handgun concealed in my vehicle. The handgunlaw.us site seems to indicate that it's not legal in AL unless you are a CCW holder (which I am not). Can anyone confirm or challenge my interpretation here?

CavalryJim

Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    <--Not a lawyer but a long time resident of AL. I can confirm that you need a CCL to legally carry a handgun in your vehicle.

There are excpetions - if you have the gun unloaded and locked away out of reach (i.e. trunk), you are ok. Plus, in Alabama, you have no legal obligation to inform LEOs when you are armed. So, lock it up, don't consent to a search of your vehicle, and don't do anything to give them probable cause.

gbundersea

Just my 2¢
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jun 4, 2007
    Walker, LA
    FYI: Packing.org went down months ago, supposedly never to return. Apparently it had been in decline for a long time before finally disappearing (no updates, outdated info, etc.) There were some detailed discussions about this on THR etc.

It's a shame too - Packing used to be THE resource for CCW info!

bryan0928

SRA
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2008
    Hammond
    I know this is old, but what was the conclusion that you came to? I am also concerned about driving through MS and AL with a handgun concealed in my vehicle. The handgunlaw.us site seems to indicate that it's not legal in AL unless you are a CCW holder (which I am not). Can anyone confirm or challenge my interpretation here?

:mamoru: ooops...

I'm based in Fort Walton Beach, Florida and drive home every other weekend with a at least one concealed handgun in my truck. Sometimes with AR15s or AKs. I usually just keep my Glock in my center console, I guess if I get pulled over I should just set it on the passenger seat.

I don't really care to much for gun laws anyway, and I never feel bad if I break them.

Top Bottom