Gun used for training

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Girouard

Don't tread on me
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 23, 2012
    Prairieville, LA
    Taking a CCW course tomorrow at the Iberville Parish Range. I’m going to use the USP45 that I’ve been toting around for 5 years, mainly because I’m comfortable shooting it. My wife wanted to use her 1911 but has no desire to carry it. I’ve talked her into using the P30SK I gave her for this very reason.

Anyhow, my (dumb) question is this:

Are we required to carry the gun we “qualify with” or does the permit cover additional pistols?

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Taking a CCW course tomorrow at the Iberville Parish Range. I’m going to use the USP45 that I’ve been toting around for 5 years, mainly because I’m comfortable shooting it. My wife wanted to use her 1911 but has no desire to carry it. I’ve talked her into using the P30SK I gave her for this very reason.

Anyhow, my (dumb) question is this:

Are we required to carry the gun we “qualify with” or does the permit cover additional pistols?

Not required and the P30SK is probably a more reliable pistol.

Sapperboomboom

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 28, 2017
    Slidell
    When I took my first course, I had a ftf on a ruger p series that I owned at the time. It was the old beat up magazine. I went to my truck and pulled out an old 22lr revolver and passed the rest of the course with that.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    It's also nearly impossible to fail the Louisiana qualification. She'll be fine with anything that goes bang, and if she's not, she should seek professional instruction and should not carry a pistol.

freedive10

-Global Mod-, Caballoloco
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Sep 17, 2008
    Mandeville
    Let’s face it. CCW classes are a government money making scheme. You don’t come away with much at all other than government “allowing” you to carry a firearm concealed on your person. The shooting portion is a joke and you can shoot any pistol to meet the lowest qualification.
    Shooting skills are a highly diminishing skill and need to be maintained to be proficient. I recommend people take at least one legitimate pistol course after they get/renew their permit. ALWAY vet your instructors! We have a number of legit trainers here in Louisiana. And for the civilian new to the gun world, military background does not automatically maketh a good instructor.

Martman300

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 12, 2018
    Gretna, la
    When I did qualifying or was 36 hits on targets ridiculously close. 3 distances, 12 rounds each distance, the longest I thing was 10-12 feet. Most of you guys will know, thinking 3-6-10.

a few people actually missed several shots, yet passes.

I did real world draw and shoot 3 rounds at a time, both from the hip, and regular presentation, they let that go as well.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    When I did qualifying or was 36 hits on targets ridiculously close. 3 distances, 12 rounds each distance, the longest I thing was 10-12 feet. Most of you guys will know, thinking 3-6-10.

a few people actually missed several shots, yet passes.

I did real world draw and shoot 3 rounds at a time, both from the hip, and regular presentation, they let that go as well.

12 rounds each at 6'-10'-15'

drill sgt

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 19, 2019
    denham springs ,la
    Know of one applicant who qualified with a little Baretta 22cal semi-auto( tip-up barrel) that had numerous ftfire / ftload/ fteject..... Not only once for inital course but also later for renewal ....................................... drill sgt.

cbbr

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    I brought a Walther P22 recently. Cheap and easy on me because I was having a bad lower back issue.

JimmyJames

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2021
    Lafayette, LA
    I brought a Walther P22 recently. Cheap and easy on me because I was having a bad lower back issue.
    Same. I used that last time I renewed as my G19 EDC is too big to be comfortable sitting appendix for hours and hours in a class (flashlight mounted for when I inspect boarded up vacant properties). Just curious, is your P22 as inaccurate as mine? I like the look of it, but the rear sight is trash and it keyholes sometimes at 15 yards.

cbbr

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Same. I used that last time I renewed as my G19 EDC is too big to be comfortable sitting appendix for hours and hours in a class (flashlight mounted for when I inspect boarded up vacant properties). Just curious, is your P22 as inaccurate as mine? I like the look of it, but the rear sight is trash and it keyholes sometimes at 15 yards.
    Not since it was new. It has been shot/cleaned/polished (internals, hammer face, feed ramp...) so much that it runs very well. It still has occasional ejector issues, but that's the nature of rimfire ammo IMO. It is a little finicky, but likes most 40 grain ammo. It's not as accurate as some .22's, but with the shorter barrel, it never will be. I love it as a plinker and for range practice.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LazrBeam
    Top Bottom