Guns for Nephew

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chootem

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Lockport
    My nephew will be turning one mid-December. I was talking with my sister the other night and we both agreed it would be best to start him a gun collection versus getting a bunch of crap that will be worthless in a few years. I will do this for him as birthday/Christmas presents for some years to come.

Looking for inputs regarding what guns should be on the list? Rifles, shotguns, air rifles, pistols etc.

Also, in attempt to build a worthy collection anyone that would have something similar to sell please let me know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    This would be great start: Daisy 853 refurbished from the CMP
    http://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/showthread.php?140133-CMP-Daisy-M853

Guns I enjoy that I think are good but he may not be able to use until he is big & has proven himself responsible enough
    Nice target .22lr
    A Garand in .30-06 of course
    an AR in national match configuration
    M1A - (M14)

This one and the seller is a good dude:
    http://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/showthread.php?147261-Swiss-K31-Straight-pull-rifle

Nice .22LR pistol

Last edited:

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Maybe start w/ nerf and airsoft even before bb guns? Tin Can Alley was a lot of fun in the garage when we were kids on rainy days.

A low weight bow would be nice also. Maybe 35#? He can use it later for bow fishing.

.22 full sized pistol. 10/22.
    An M14 is a great choice, but something semiauto centerfire.

US Infidel

TRUST NO ONE
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 30, 2012
    Earth
    How about a 10-22? It was the second gun I bought in 89-90ish, and still going strong. A quality AR with a few cases of ammo.. Who knows what's to come for gun ownership in the future?

Last edited:

enigmedic

Rating - 100%
    14   0   1
    Sep 14, 2010
    New Orleans area
    Damn! I wish my uncle had your foresight/ mentality. Since he is only a year old, he has a while before he has any input or preference. Think of HIS future; what will be cost prohibitive in the future or be impossible to get. We all know that "black rifles" are under constant threat, and right now they are cheaper than ever (even in the 80's/ 90's). When he is an adult, in the year 2036, do you think he will want a Chipmunk 22 or NIB Colt AR15A4? Right now they are under $800 new, complete lower halves under $400. When I was a boy I pleaded for a Winchester Defender in 20 ga. My dad bought the Defender in 12 ga, saying I would appreciate the choice when I grew to an adult, and he was never more right. I am glad I am not stuck with a 20 ga riot gun. At any rate, buy brand names that will hold value, not off-brand crap. When was the last time you heard of a collector willing to pay "top dollar" for a "vintage Taurus?" LOL. Remember, you don't lose money the day you sell an item (that you overpaid), you lost your money the day you bought it!

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    A lifetime hunting/fishing liscense is a great gift that he will appreciate one day as well. And if you get it before he turns 5 it only cost $200. Goes up to $300 after that and $500 as an adult. Saves a ton of money over the years.

alpinehyperlite

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    A lifetime hunting/fishing liscense is a great gift that he will appreciate one day as well. And if you get it before he turns 5 it only cost $200. Goes up to $300 after that and $500 as an adult. Saves a ton of money over the years.

Same thing i was gonna suggest. I just bought my nephew/godson his.

Doctor481

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Ponchatoula
    Lifetime license is a great idea.
    What about an AR15 lower? Miscellaneous parts can be gifted through the years. Somewhere around the 10-12 year mark uncle and nephew can have a bonding day assembling the project.

chootem

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Lockport
    Thank you all for the suggestions so far. A lot of great ideas. The lifetime license was one of the first to come to mind. Unfortunately, they live in Alabama and the price is over $700 under 2 years old. The savings is only approximately $200 compared to the same for an adult. While the price will obviously continue to increase, I would like to think a gun would appreciate more in a lifetime so I opted to stick with guns. This is of course assuming name brand etc. I have also considered those which may no longer be available for purchase, say 20 years from now. AR's etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blackhawk

Blackhawk
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Pollock LA
    Great idea about the Daisy 853. I've gifted four of them to grandsons due to them being single-shot, highly accurate, and with great sights for the price. This is excellent for teaching fundamentals. I also like the idea of going for quality vs quantity.

You would need to think some about what you are looking for. If it's just general shooting then a 10/22, a pump shotgun, and a centerfire rifle. This will cover plinking, squirrel, deer, turkey, ducks, etc. If going toward competitions then an AR15, suitable pistol, possibly a bolt action centerfire such as a Remington 700. For Trap/Skeet there are multiple choices in brand and configuration of shotguns. Then there are the military look-alikes like the AR15, M14/M1A, M1Garand, M1903, and 1911 pistol. So many choices!

For my grandchildren I've started with the air rifles, will continue with .22 rifles for each, then 20 ga pump shotguns with a good rubber buttpad, then a centerfire rifle. That should get them to adulthood, then we can look at pistols. I'm following your plan of gifts now, for birthdays and Christmas, but there will also be an inheritance later.

Top Bottom