guys with UPIN numbers...

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KDerekT83

Hobbyist
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    So I've gotten a delay just about every time I've purchased a firearm from a store with a follow up phone call a few days later to go pick up my purchase. I decided finally to be done with it, and fill out the form and get a upin.... How long has it been taking recently to get anything back from the FBI? I mailed the form along with my fingerprint card earlier today. I'm guessing at least 2/3 weeks?

KDerekT83

Hobbyist
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    yeah I don't have a chp. its in the cards in the future though. for now, getting the upin will make things a good bit easier so I'm told and it took 5 minutes out my day during my lunch break so that was easy. once I get a little more settled into my job ( just got promoted to management 2 months ago), I'll see about taking a day off work to go get the chp handled.

AK shooter

Redneck with a gun!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Raceland
    I asked my LGS about the CHP and filling out the 4473. They will not accept them because someone came in who had a CHP filled out the 4473 and was denied because he was a felon.

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    I asked my LGS about the CHP and filling out the 4473. They will not accept them because someone came in who had a CHP filled out the 4473 and was denied because he was a felon.
    Well , there's a lot wrong with that . The CHP was obviously invalid . The guy was a " Prohibited Person " . Sounds like the process worked like it was supposed to .

number1roadie19

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 9, 2010
    Marrero, LA
    If he was a felon, how did he get a CHP? They don't just give them away. Maybe he committed his crime after receiving his CHP and it was revoked? There are ways to check the status of a CHP online and over the phone. Just because you have a CHP doesn't mean you get automatically approved. Which LGS do you refer to? It is strictly up to the store as to if they will accept the CHP or not. I should've been more specific. Sorry. I was always instructed to double check the validity of said CHP when doing a transfer.

AK shooter

Redneck with a gun!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Raceland
    If he was a felon, how did he get a CHP? They don't just give them away. Maybe he committed his crime after receiving his CHP and it was revoked? There are ways to check the status of a CHP online and over the phone. Just because you have a CHP doesn't mean you get automatically approved. Which LGS do you refer to? It is strictly up to the store as to if they will accept the CHP or not. I should've been more specific. Sorry. I was always instructed to double check the validity of said CHP when doing a transfer.
    Probably became a felon while holding the chp. No one will question until he has to renew or stopped by police.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    So I've gotten a delay just about every time I've purchased a firearm from a store with a follow up phone call a few days later to go pick up my purchase. I decided finally to be done with it, and fill out the form and get a upin.... How long has it been taking recently to get anything back from the FBI? I mailed the form along with my fingerprint card earlier today. I'm guessing at least 2/3 weeks?
    Remember that visit you have with the FBI and LSP? I told you they would make you wait

frankinola

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 3, 2012
    If you are a close match there will be a delay for them to research that it was not you. You will need to do the same type of prints as you for CHP. Last I heard the UPIN and VAF are 7 months behind since staff was pulled to handle the volume of calls. It may be quicker to get your CHP. It is up to the ffl/shop if they still want to do a nics check in addition accepting the CHP. With the rate of ID theft by criminals and illegals, it is very possible to get a 'denied'. All it takes is for at time of summons or booking for someone to provide false info and no one does an AFIS check. It is very painful /expesive to clear your name if someone uses it for a booking or arrest event - co worker went through that nightmare and still does.

Top Bottom