Handgun for an 11 year old ?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    My little girl wants to start shooting handguns so Im looking for tips on a good .22 for a young lady to start with?

Last edited:

USMC-Deano

Baby Eagle FTW
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2011
    Oceanside, CA
    Walther P22 is a good one. Interchangeable backstraps would probably help out a bit so it can be used by bigger hands as well as smaller. I had one for a very short time and loved it. Only got rid of it to fund a carry piece.

Damn, Chad...I M teh sloness.

JLouv

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    Youngsville
    IMO.....the overall answer is: whatever she can hold properly

Heritage revolver for a single action and low cost...Ruger if you don't have a budget. Maybe Taurus?

Ruger MKxx if you want an auto...The MKxx45 will transfer well to a 1911 in the future...

Sig Mosquito has caught my eye as well...<the threaded barrel has a lot to do with that>...Walther could work too for a semi-auto

Whatever, the end result is the same....get something comfortable for HER.

It's time to take her shopping!!! :D

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    Walther P22 is a good one. Interchangeable backstraps would probably help out a bit so it can be used by bigger hands as well as smaller. I had one for a very short time and loved it. Only got rid of it to fund a carry piece.

Damn, Chad...I M teh sloness.

I just noticed that your avatar is Megamind. :cool:

Jimbeaux82

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 29, 2010
    Natchitoches, LA
    Many different brands and models will work, but just make sure it is not too heavy for her to hold. While my Ruger MkII Bull Barrel is a great plinker, it is too heavy for a young person to hold and shoot comfortably.

Quickdraw22

I SPEAK DA THUGG!1!
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 18, 2007
    Sulphur, Louisiana
    X2 on the Bull Barreled Rugers on being too heavy for younger girls. My girlfriend hates shooting my 6-7/8" Bull Barrel MKIII, but loves shooting my 5-1/2" "Pencil Barrel" MKII. The weight savings are HUGE, and the accuracy is pretty much the same (atleast when shooting snakes).

BUT - the Ruger will run forever. Literally. I've put nearly 15,000 rounds through my MKIII, and used to be religious about cleaning it. I decided to see how long it would take to start having malfunctions between cleanings, and I'm currently at 2,500ish without a hiccup. The extra $1-200 will make itself up in quality and resale value. Go Ruger.

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    The Walther is a good choice. You can always take her to the gun store and try a Ruger or Buckmark with a shorter barrel. That way if she wants a longer barrel in the future she can swap one out. I own a Mk III and love it.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Keep in mind that an 11 year old girl is about to (or already is) hitting an amazing growth spurt. My 13yr old has grown almost a foot in the last 2 years. So, if you buy a gun that is going to fit her now be sure its going to fit her hands as an adult.

I'd stick to the Ruger or Buckmark myself. IIRC the newer buckmarks come in 2 different frame sizes (udx?) now. I prefer the buckmark over the others. Taking down and reassembling a ruger is a challenge is one reason. The other is the control similarity between the buckmark and other full sized pistols, especially the mag release. Why train her to reload differently?

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    Keep in mind that an 11 year old girl is about to (or already is) hitting an amazing growth spurt. My 13yr old has grown almost a foot in the last 2 years. So, if you buy a gun that is going to fit her now be sure its going to fit her hands as an adult.

I'd stick to the Ruger or Buckmark myself. IIRC the newer buckmarks come in 2 different frame sizes (udx?) now. I prefer the buckmark over the others. Taking down and reassembling a ruger is a challenge is one reason. The other is the control similarity between the buckmark and other full sized pistols, especially the mag release. Why train her to reload differently?

Very good point and I think your right. She wants to start with the 9mm but I would feel better if she started on the .22 with that said I think she WILL out grow the .22 very soon but my master plan is that I have a 2yr 6mo old son :D so I hope to just put it in the safe for him.

Last edited:

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    I cant wait till I have this problem!!

HaHa... When you have this problem you will have even more problems.

guys1.jpg

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    I let her hold a Walter P22 at the store the other day and she said it felt great in her hands. I just wasnt sure how well they held up and if it was hard to find mags and stuff for them. I will try to get to a store with more .22s in stock.

Robhic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Destrehan, LA
    Took my 10 yr old grandSON out about a week ago for his first time. He shot my Ruger MkIII Standard (with the pencil barrel that looks like a Luger...) very well. After a lengthy in-service the night before, he handled the gun well. I had to cock it the first time (pretty hard for a kid's hands) but then he could charge the weapon successive times without difficulty. He shot pretty well, too for a young boy.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Good2go504
    Top Bottom